12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2013 3:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3

Maurispi

Hi,

when I imported video from the Samsung Galaxy S3 in Premiere 12 audio and video seem to be disconnacted (the audio is faster...). But they are ok on pc and other devices... So, what could i do?

• 1. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Report back with the details of what is inside the files

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read -read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

If your files a LIKE those from an iPhone, with a Variable Frame Rate, you will need to convert to Constant Frame Rate to edit

• 2. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
            Maurispi Level 1

Hi John,

Samsung Galaxy S3 video.jpghere is the text file with all the data you kindly asked me.

• 3. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Maurispi

In Premiere Elements, I have not found that it is a given that iPhone and other devices with video with a variable frame rate "need" to be converted in order to work in Premiere Elements.

So, let us focus on the overall

a. Did you set up the project so that the properties of the source media match the properties of your video?

In version 12, the program is supposed to do that for you automatically. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it does not. When it does not, you set the project preset in the new project dialog manually before importing the video. To do that, you go to File Menu/New/Project. Before you exit the settings there, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project". Then when you are back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import your video via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

b. After you drag your video to the Timeline, you should not see any orange line over the video content. (I am not talking about the orange line that runs horizontally across the middle of the video. This orange line is at the top of the Timeline.) If you see this orange line, does the video audio problem disappear after you have hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard and the line has turned from orange to green?

c. All this highlights the question "What are the video properties on which I am basing the project preset?"

Knowing the settings of your camera would guide you to the answer for that.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/specifications.html

I suspect that you are recording 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second). But I am not sure what video codec is being used by you.

Based on what we do know (or think we know), you project preset should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

After you import the video, right click its thumbnail in Project Assets, select Properties, and see what it says there, especially for frame rate.

Please supply the information requested and then we will decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Maurispi

I did not see your video properties read out until have I had just posted. Thank you for them. Very helpful.

The readout shows a variable frame rate for your video

frame rate of 29.488 progressive frames per second

(minimum given as 2.498 progressive frames per second and maximum given as 32.217 progressive frames per second)

Before you go converting this footage to a fixed frame rate in QuickTime Pro or wherever, please review my suggestions specific to Premiere Elements workflow. As I have stated, a video with a variable frame rate can be used successfully directly in Premiere Elements. I have been there and done that with iPhone 5 and iPod touch 4th generation video.

Let us make sure of the Premiere Elements set up before seeking 3rd party intervention.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                  Maurispi Level 1

Hi,

yes Romano, you are right! I just check the format of my video from Samsung S3:

1920X1080

F.rate: 30

Audio at source: 48.000 hz

And yes, I sw the orange line on the top of the timeline. but I'm note sure to have understood what I have to do.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Maurispi

Thank you for the reply.

This is what I would like you to try.

Open Premiere Elements 12 to its Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project. In the dialog that appears, click on Change Settings. Set the project preset there to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

Close out of there, but before you exit the settings area, make sure you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project".

When you are back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, go to Add Media/Files and Folder to bring your video into the project. You will now see your video in Project Assets. From Project Assets, click and drag the video from there to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

At this point, there should be no colored line over the video on Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

If that is the case, press the play button of the Edit Mode monitor and determine if the video audio playback is OK.

Once we have this information, then we can consider what needs to be done, including any consideration for 3rd party software intervention. When you import your video into the project, if you see an orange instead of the "no color line" over the content, then we have to evaluate the project preset that was selected based on video properties.

If necessary, we could check out your video if you post a download link to a small sampling.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                      Maurispi Level 1

Thank-you Romano.

I'll try, but it doesn't work (the orange line is still there)

I shot a real stupid video to show you what happened. I'll try with this new video and the problem already exists.

Here is the link to dropbox for the video (sorry, it's just to show you... And it is in italian language, but i think it is not a problem!)

http://splashurl.com/q7oued2

thanks

• 8. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Maurispi

Thank you for the sample from your cell phone. It was very helpful in defining the issue.

H.264 (AVCHD).mp4

29.49 progressive frames per second (but variable frame rate type)

I believe that we have the closest Premiere Elements 12 project preset, using

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

I believe that the reason for the orange line over the content, in spite of having what looks like the right project preset, is the program rejecting the choice because 29.49 is not in its listing of choices. It would be looking for 29.97. That is my speculation for now.

There is an audio out of sync associated with the use of this video in Premiere Elements 12. But, the video plays back perfectly (video and audio in sync) with play back in Windows Media Player 12 and VLC Player 2.0.8. Interestingly, it plays back video audio out of sync in QuickTime player 7.74 on which Premiere Elements depends.

I have tried changing file extension of the video, using Interpret Footage/Frame Rate feature to have the program interpret the frame rate differently, also exporting it from Premiere Elements in the hope that the export would remedy the situation (bitrate changes for video and audio separately at times). I tried for some conversions in Windows Live Movie Maker 11. All were failures.

John T. Smith and others generalize the recommendation of QuickTime Pro for taking variable to non variable frame rate the frame rate for cell phone video with a variable frame rate. I do not. But, in this specific instance and since nothing else is working, it might be worth a try if you wish to edit this specific video in Premiere Elements. I have looked at your video in Premiere Elements 10, and the video and audio is the same there, out of sync. The issue is not specific to Premiere Elements 10.

What type of a microphone as you using on the cell phone for this video? Is it a microphone built into the cell phone or an external microphone attached to the cell phone?

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                          Maurispi Level 1

Ok,

I used both microphones, as you can see from the video, the internal one and one external. But the audio of the video I sent you cames from the original microphone inside Samsung S3.

• 10. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Maurispi

Thanks for the reply.

Do you confirmed that your video has a problem with the computer's QuickTime player playback where it does not with Windows Media Player and the VLC player?

I got your video into my Premiere Elements 12 with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. Can we assume that you are using the same?

It probably is time to explore the QuickTime Pro Save As to obtained a non variable frame rate for the video that you import into Premiere Elements. It may or may not help, but we will not know until you try. Please check out QuickTime Pro as well as Handbreak in this regard. Please refer to thread  here on a similar issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5352131

We will be watching for your reply. If I get a chance tonight I will try to take a look at your video sample in Handbrake if you have not already.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                              Maurispi Level 1

I try handbrake, it seems that works (even if the orange line is still there!). It is a problem?

Yes, we are using the same thing: I have both Premiere 10 and 12 and the procedure I did is the one that you suggest me.

Tomorrow I'll try with other videos to be sure that now is all ok.

Thanks

• 12. Re: Video imported from Samsung Galaxy S3
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Maurispi

Sounds like good news. I started to download Handbrake and got detoured.

What did you export from Handbrake...what frame rate does the video have that you are now bringing into Premiere Elements without encountering audio out of sync on the Timeline playback....fixed 29.49 or 29.97 or other? How does the before and after Handbrake video differ?

After you check your other videos to see if the issue is gone for all, please try an export of one of those videos to make sure that the export video and audio remain in sync.

We will be watching for your progress and any further comments.

After I get more details from you, I will comment on the orange line over your current Timeline content of video adjusted with Handbrake.

Thank you for working through the details of this issue with us.

ATR