39 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 1:38 PM by A.T. Romano

I just need to know what to do.

caustby

Adobe Premiere elements 12 won't load asks if I want it to make changes to computer I say yes it won't load.

• 1. Re: I just need to know what to do.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you answer a few questions first, please?

1. What OS version are you using?
          2. What are the details of your computer, such as CPU, video card/chip make and model, video driver version - number and date?
          3. Did you get any error, or warning messages, when you installed?
          4. I have not encountered that "do you want to make changes to computer," but does it give any details, as to the proposed changes?
          5. Are there any other error, or warning messages, such as "incompatible display drivers?"

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: I just need to know what to do.
            caustby Level 1

Where do I find those

• 3. Re: I just need to know what to do.
              caustby Level 1

Processor: AMD A-8-4500M APU witih Radeon(tm) HD

Installed memory RAM: 6.00 (5.47 GB usable

64 Bit Operating Shystem, x64 based processor

• 4. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

• 5. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

That message "Do You Want To Make Changes to Computer" is a common one after you have applied Run As Administrator to an Adobe program.

So all that message tells me that the program is being Run As Administrator. I suspect the program is not loading for a reason unrelated to this. Easy enough to check, remove the Run As Administrator in the properties accessed from the desktop program icon and see what happens.

ATR

• 6. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

Have you ever been able to get Premiere Elements 12 program to load? Essentially asking what applies...

a. It worked before but not now.

or

b. It never worked before.

Please refer to my comment to Hunt about the message "Do You Want To Make Changes to Computer".

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                      caustby Level 1

It worked the first time I tried it then I was editing picture from a

birthday party and it quit working. I did uncheck the run as the

administer. Now it is not loading  at all.. I am running the driver tool

but it came up with an error.

• 8. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                        caustby Level 1

When you run the compatability check it comes up with xp service pack 3

issue...

• 9. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

Thanks for the reply with the update.

I would leave the Run As Administrator with the check mark next to it.

Can you open a new project? Have we determined if your issue is confined to this one particular project or to all.

From your description, it may be just this one project?

If so, then check out the Adobe document on damaged projects.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

Please let me check with you on one point so that I do not go off target on this....you wrote

It worked the first time I tried it then I was editing picture from a

birthday party and it quit working.

Was this all in the same project or are more than one project involved in what you wrote?

Please check out the above and then we can consider our next steps to resolve the issues.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                            caustby Level 1

It won't load at all now... before it would got to the page try to download

the picture and quit.. Now it won't even try... just goes back to the

shortcut...

• 11. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                              caustby Level 1

I keep thinking it thinks it is working with xp when this is windows 8

which the reason I wanted a new photoshop to start with.. Getting very

frustrated.

• 12. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thanks for that info. I have not run across it on any of the PrE forums, and that is why I asked about it.

Exactly which "changes" does PrE want to make to the computer?

Hunt

• 13. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                  caustby Level 1

I am going to uninstall, reboot and reinstall. I have updated the

computer... cleaned it up.. Now I will try again.

• 14. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                    caustby Level 1

I was able to load the editor from a saved picture... Can I do something

from there?

• 15. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Caustby,

Can you tell us what you mean by "a saved picture?" Do you mean from a Disk Image Backup, or something else?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 16. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                        caustby Level 1

Would not load the organizer from there.

• 17. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                          caustby Level 1

From a file in my picture.

• 18. Re: I just need to know what to do.

>editing picture from a birthday party

>wanted a new photoshop to start with

This is the PREMIERE Elements video editing forum, not the PHOTOSHOP Elements picture editing forum

Photoshop Elements Forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

• 19. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                              caustby Level 1

The picture did  not load but the editor did.

• 20. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                caustby Level 1

I have not uninstalled it for the second time yet...

• 21. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

Just catching up with your thread.

1. What do you mean that you were able to load the editor from a saved picture? What picture?

a. was this an AutoSave file in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 or some where else?

b. When you loaded the Editor where did you end up...in the Quick workspace of the program or the Expert workspace of the program or some place else?

Are you at the point where you can see the Expert workspace and it looks like this

ExpertView.JPG

Your report sounds promising, but I need some confirmation on some of the details to be sure if we are on the right path.

Thanks for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 22. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                    caustby Level 1

Says the organizer is running somewhere

• 23. Re: I just need to know what to do.

If you are using PHOTOSHOP Elements this is the wrong forum... go read what I posted in #18

• 24. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                        caustby Level 1

It was an auto save file...or a save as file.. I guess I did so many I

don't remember which it was... I will try to go to the expert.. it was

quick file that was opened.. And I tried to run the updater but it said

photoshop organizer was still running so I went to end task and ended it...

• 25. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

Just me again trying to catch up with all the posts you have gotten before I hit the post button on my latest post.

This picture that you talked about. By any chance are you working between Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 and are caught somehow between the projects via the Elements Organizer 12 that both programs share when they are installed on the same computer? If I am going off on an incorrect thought there, just discard for now. I do not want to distract from the current troubleshooting.

But your mention of this picture that helped you open the editor caught my attention, and I wondered if this might be a key in understanding the situation better.

From what has been written so far, you appear to have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit. Is Photoshop Elements 12 also on this computer. Is the Elements Organizer 12 part of your workflows?

Depending on how things progress, it might be a good idea to take time out to recap. Reminding us all where we started, where we are heading, and gauging how close to success we are in getting things to work for you.

ATR

• 26. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

I suspect our posts are slightly out of sync. I just saw your last one after I posted mine.

How about this idea to sort things out? You have been through alot of troubleshooting so we may be at a stage of overlapping details.

1. What do you want to do in Premiere Elements 12? Create a slideshow with pictures and/or videos or something else?

2. If all you want to do is edit a picture, then best use Photoshop Elements 12. You can always import that edited picture into a Premiere Elements 12 video presentation after the edit.

If you let us know what your photo and video goals are, we will try to suggest a mini test run to help with guidelines to develop a full scale project as we progress.

More later.

ATR

• 27. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                              caustby Level 1

1. I got the new photoshop elements 12 as a Christmas gift.

2. I downloaded it and started using it. Lots of pictures.

3. I downloaded around 470 pictures from my mother in laws birthday party

and was quick editing them to post on facebook entire family was there.

4 working fine.. then suddenly it would not work..

5 shut it off and tried to start up again and ask if permission to  make

changes to the computer.. said yes.. the organizer would start to load when

it would get to the pictures it would not load further

6. quit for the day... tried again this morning... didn't work uninstalled

and reinstalled it. still doesn't work when to the reason says something to

the effect of xp service pack required... this is windows 8

7 updated computer

8 backed up computer picture documents videos music on the portable  hard

drive just in case

9 tried everything I could and you...

• 28. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                caustby Level 1

Picture did load in the editor and it will let me go to expert....

• 29. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                  caustby Level 1

Will not load the organizer.... I think this is a Norton issue of some

sort... The little Norton sign is in the corner..

• 30. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                    caustby Level 1

What comes up is User Account control with a Norton box on the right side.

Do you want allow the following program to make changes to this computer?

Program name: PSelements 12

File Origin: Hard drive on this computer

• 31. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                      caustby Level 1

When you click on that details it says xp service package 3

• 32. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

I think that we have made a major breakthrough here.

First this is not a Premiere Elements 12 (video editing issue as first thought).

This is a Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12 (photo editing issue).

From what you wrote, this program is on Windows 8 64 bit computer. Typically these programs need to be run as Run As Admininstrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Typical that permissions message pops up each time you open the program after you apply the Run As Administrator. Do you know if the User Account you are using now has Administrative Priviledges? We can talk about that more later. I do not want to distract you with User Account right now. For now, leave Run As Administrator with the Yes to the pop up when you open the program.

Right click the desktop icon for Photoshop Elements 12. Select Properties and go to the Compatibility Tab. Under the Compatibility Tab, remove any check mark next to Compatibility/"Run this program in compatibility mode for...". There is no reason to be running Photoshop Elements 12 in Windows 8 64 bit in the compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.

Now back to the Elements Organizer 12 where you appear to have placed 470 photos as thumbnails. For now, leave them as is. Close out of Elements Organizer 12 and Photoshop Elements 12.

Then open Photoshop Elements 12 to the Full Editor. Will it do that? Determine Yes or No. And, then close the program.

Open Photoshop Elements 12 to the Elements Organizer 12. Select one of the photo thumbnails there. Then go down to the Editor Tab at the bottom of the Elements Organizer 12 interface. Click on the small vertical panel next to the name Editor to bring up the pop up with the choices of External Editor, Video Editor, Photo Editor. Select Photo Editor. Does the photo thumbnail that you selected in the Elements Organizer 12 now open in the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor?

Please stop at that point and let us know the results.

Thanks for your help. We will work this through.

ATR

• 33. Re: I just need to know what to do.

>photoshop elements 12

You are in the WRONG FORUM... you need this forum

Photoshop Elements Forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

• 34. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

I think that we have made a breakthrough in caustby's issue, and I hope to be able to bring the matter to a successful conclusion here within the next few posts in spite of the fact that this appears to be a Photoshop Elements (photo editing) question that has gotten caught up in the Premiere Elements Forum (video editing).

Let us look at this as Elements Organizer 12 (with those 470 photos) question which is the common ground between Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements.

If I have not mentioned it previously,

Best wishes to you and family for the New Year.

ATR

• 35. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                              caustby Level 1

Okay... I have not yet done this because it is not loading again. Last

night I got it to load as the catalog started to come I clicked on the help

bar and it came up and I was able to clean it up. But once I got out of it

I could not go back into it. So as I was in the compatibility box, I went

to the security box.. When I got this computer for the kitchen last year I

put my husband's email address in as he had gifted me this computer.. I

registered this photoshop to my gmail account and it is not listed in the

security box could that be the problem?

• 36. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                                caustby Level 1

As for the step by step.... When I can get the organizer to come up it will

go to the editor with the picture that is selected.... I can get to the

photo editor by selecting a picture out of my picture files.... There is no

check in properties for the xp...

• 37. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

Sign In

Regarding post 35...the Photoshop Elements 12 Help Menu/Sign In is related to your Adobe ID and Password. The Adobe ID is typically your email address. Have you put a copy of the password some place for safety keeping and reference when needed.

For now, when you are signing into the program, please use your Adobe ID and Password or whichever one you have been using to register the product with Adobe after the installation.

Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor and Elements Organizer 12 Integration

If you have not already, with one picture, go through the exercise of getting it into the Elements Organizer, going to Editor Tab/Photo Editor choice, editing the photo in Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor, and then returning the edited photo to the Elements Organizer 12.

After you edit the photo in Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor, go to its File Menu/Save or Save As and do just that. If you do not want a version set in Elements Organizer 12 (instead just the edited photo), uncheck the option in the Save dialog related to version set.

Next to avoid that banner across your photo in Elements Organizer 12, in Premiere Elements 12 Full Editor, go to File Menu/Exit. This should get you back into the Elements Organizer 12 with your edited photo, no banner saying Editing in Progress.

Please review and then let us know how you are progressing.

ATR

• 38. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                                    caustby Level 1

Will not load at all.. Going to send it to computer repair place...

• 39. Re: I just need to know what to do.
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

caustby

Sorry that the news was not better.

Please let us know the results of you having your computer checked out.

I suspect that the answer is in your Photoshop Elements 12, but let us see how the computer check up goes.

After that we can think about this some more.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Best wishes,

ATR