6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2013 6:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premier Elements Video Editor will not open

blee3874

I just installed version 12 of Adobe Premier Elements on my Windows 7 (64) system and am unable to open Video Editor.  I receive a message that the display driver is not current and a newer version would make the program run more efficiently.  After some time, the video editor stops trying to load.  I have verified all windows updates are loaded and that I have the most current Quicktime version.  I have also unloaded and reloaded Adobe Premier Elements but this issue continues to persist.  Please assist.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premier Elements Video Editor will not open
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          1. What is your video card's/chip's make and model?
          2. What is the number and date of the installed video driver?
          3. Is that the latest video driver on the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site?
          4. If not, download and install the latest video driver.
          5. Remove the BadDrivers.TXT file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Premier Elements Video Editor will not open
            A.T. Romano Level 7

blee3874

Once you have established that your video card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card, deletion of the Bad.Drivers.txt file should be pursured. To do that for Premiere Elements 12 running in Windows 7 64 bit, the path is

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in the Premiere Elements Folder is this BadDrivers.txt file. There may be a "12.0" folder in that Premiere Elements Folder. You do not want to open that. All you want is the BadDrivers.txt file that is in the Premiere Elements Folder in the path cited.

To see the path, be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Adobe Premier Elements Video Editor will not open
              blee3874 Level 1

1.     What is your video card's/chip's make and model?                             AMD Radeon HD 8730M, Intel Graphics HD 4000

2.     What is the number and date of the installed video driver?                9/10/2012    version  9.0.12.0

3.     Is that the latest video driver on the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site?    Yes it is the latest driver

4.     If not, download and install the latest video driver.

5.     Remove the BadDrivers.TXT file.                                                        Removed BadDrivers.TXT file and then launched Premiere Elements.  Same issue persists,  Get two error messages that it has detected an incompatible display driver????

Any other recommendations?

Thank you

Bob Lee

• 4. Re: Adobe Premier Elements Video Editor will not open
                blee3874 Level 1

Have ensured all drivers are up to date.  They were all current.  I have deleted the BadDrivers.txt file.  Rebooted.  No change.  I still get the “We have detected an incompatible  display driver.  To get better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver”  

Selecting New Project under Video Editor results in long accessing period followed by the software timing out.

What do you suggest next?

Bob Lee

• 5. Re: Adobe Premier Elements Video Editor will not open
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

blee3874

I suspect that this might be the immediate area to pursue

1.     What is your video card's/chip's make and model?                        

AMD Radeon HD 8730M, Intel Graphics HD 4000

There have been discussions here about problems with Premiere Elements and a dual video card set up.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5747654

What happens if you disable the Intel Graphics HD 4000 and just work with the AMD video card?

This is one of John T. Smith's and Hunt's favorite subjects. So we should be hearing from them soon. Meanwhile their presence can be felt in the link that I have referenced on this subject of dual video cards.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premier Elements Video Editor will not open
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

There have been many issues with a dual video driver - nVidia, or AMD/ATI and the Intel HD Video. In many cases, disabling the Intel HD video chip (in the BIOS Setup, or maybe a jumper/DIP switch on the MoBo) has fixed things. Some laptop mfgrs. use the Intel to save power, and the lapto *should* switch over to the nVidia, or AMD/ATI chip, for major computing, but not always.

Good luck,

Hunt