12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 4:45 PM by A.T. Romano

PrE 12 Pan & Zoom Issues

Kasp

Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 12 crash or freeze when using pan and zoom feature?

[Title was changed to reflect the issue more accurately. Hunt]

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

• 1. Re: Kasp
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 2. Re: Kasp
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The most common reason is that your photos are too large.

Have you ensured your photos are no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size?

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

• 3. Re: Kasp
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kasp

Could you go into more details on these Pan and Zoom Tool related Premiere Elements 12 freezes/crashes?

1. Are you attempting to apply Pan and Zoom to a photo or video clip? If video, what duration and format? If photo, besides pixel dimensions what, duration?

2. When does the program freeze crash...while you are in the Pan and Zoom workspace adding frames beyond the 2 default ones OR when you select your clip and click on Tools/Pan and Zoom Tool?

Answers to these questions and the ones already asked by others will be very helpful.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Kasp
                Kasp Level 1

Hello Steve,

Images are 3088 by 2056.  If I must reduce them to 2000 by 1500, is there a way to do so in Organizer?  Do I have to disregard edits in Premiere, and import downsized images?

• 5. Re: Kasp
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you have Photoshop Elements, you can easily resize an entire batch of photos at once using File/Process Multiple Files.

My free tutorial at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com shows you how.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=process+multiple+files&btn.x=21&btn.y=10

You can also open and resize your photos one at a time, of course.

• 6. Re: Kasp
                    Kasp Level 1

Thanks Steve, very helpful.  I'll give it a try.  One last question... or hopefully last.  Photoshop CS6 is more robust.  Does Premiere integrate well with it or must I use Photoshop Elements.  Thinking down the road a bit.

• 7. Re: Kasp
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kasp,

Ps CS6 will do all that you wish. Now, it does not directly link to PrE, or the Organizer, but will work fine. This article goes into using Ps for Batch Scaling: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2119226#2119226

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Kasp
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Kasp

I see that SG and Hunt are giving instruction for batch resizing in Photoshop Elements File Menu/Process Multiple Files and elsewhere.

I would ask you to consider the following in this regard. I do not know about Photoshop, but Photoshop Elements does only batch resizing not batch cropping.

Your photos appears to be 3:2. So, if you are doing a 16:9 project, you will probably need to batch crop as well as batch resize as you go from your 3:2 (3088 x 2056) photos to a 16:9 counterpart without distortion.

Perhaps SG and Hunt would comment further on that aspect of your question.

Best is to do a mini test run to see what it looks like.

ATR

• 9. Re: Kasp
                          nealeh Level 5

Kasp wrote:

Photoshop CS6 is more robust.  Does Premiere integrate well with it

You can edit a photo in PS-CS6 directly from the Elements Organizer using Edit> Edit with Photoshop, or Ctrl+H.

1.jpg

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Kasp
                            Kasp Level 1

Thank you.  I tried this and as long as I identified 2000 width with constrained proportions, it worked.

• 11. Re: Kasp
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for that. I was unaware of the direct connection between Organizer and Ps CS__ .

I now stand corrected on my statement above.

Appreciated,

Hunt

PS - you can see who does not use Organizer much, as I like Bridge better.

• 12. Re: Kasp
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kasp

I have been reading your thread as it progresses through suggestions.

In regard to nealeh's pointing to the use of Photoshop as a supplemental editor accessed via the Elements Organizer....

That comes into being via the Elements Organizer Edit Menu/Preferences/Editing and Editing's Supplementary Editing Application option. I do not have Photoshop CS6, but I do have access to Photoshop CS2 on Windows 7 64 bit where I have installated Elements Organizer 11.

In Elements Organizer 11 Supplementary Editing Application set area, browse to and set there takes the ImageReady.exe but not the Photoshop.exe. But once in opened Image Ready sector, I can go back and forth between Image Ready to Photoshop.

Photoshop Elements does not offer a keyboard customization feature that I have found, so perhaps nealeh can elaborate on how Ctrl + H was created for "Edit with Photoshop" in the screenshot shown in post 9. It is not clear if that is feature perk of CS6, involvement of a .kys file transfer from Photoshop to Elements, or something else in a shortcut properties. In my situation, in the Elements Organizer Edit Menu/, I end up with Edit with ImageReady and no automatically given keyboard shortcut along side that entry.

More later.

ATR