7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 3:52 AM by JEShort01

Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU

SebastiaanFP Level 1

Hallo,

I would like to use my Nvidia GPU for speeding up the final output rendering of Premiere Pro & After Effects projects from Adobe Media Encoder. Now as far as I know, enabling the GPU Acceleration for Final Output Rendering in the AMEncoder really speeds up the proces significantly. But I have one question regarding the quality of the output. Does the adding of the GPU acceleration have any influence on the final output quality of the render? I read on some fora comments stating that using only the CPU for the final output rendering gives higher quality results then when using the CPU + GPU acceleration combined? But on some other blogs I actually found statements that adding the GPU to the process both speeds up the time needed (becomes much faster), and actually increases the quality of the final output render?

Does anyone know if there is a quality difference between CPU vs CPU+GPU final output rendering? I am working on a 64Bit Windows 7 machine)

Thanks in advance,

Sebastiaan

• 1. Re: Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not try a pair of sample outputs and compare?

The answer may be system/media dependent.

• 2. Re: Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU
            SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

GPU accelerated export should match or exceed software quality in all cases

• 3. Re: Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU
              JEShort01 Level 4

Sebastiaan,

You do not mention which version of Adobe that you are using, however the answers to your questions do hinge a bit on that fact.

For example, for CC I believe that now with a very recent version patch of AME encoder, those renders finally utilize the full cpu/gpu acceleration that earlier versions of Premiere Pro have included. In earlier versions, export renders from the timeline have been more effective in utilizing the GPU for speeding up renders.

Regarding quality differences, back when I was using primarily the CS5 version of Premiere Pro, I personally had some very annoying glitches in DVD render outputs from the timeline with GPU acceleration enabled that were fixed when I selected the MUCH slower export option using software rendering only. CC on the other hand seems work just fine with CPU accelaration on (for me anyway).

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU
                SebastiaanFP Level 1

Thank You Bob,

I will try this out myself, but I also felt that I want a statement of some Adobe professional just in regards to how their product is working. I searched the various manuals, but could not find an anwser to this question. I did find many explanations on how CUDA support works,especially in regards to playing back effects smoothly without having to do pre-rendering, but not in regard to final output rendering.

• 5. Re: Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU
                  SebastiaanFP Level 1

Thank you so much Steve!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for, so we can conclude that the quality of CPU + GPU final output rendering is going to be at least always as good as CPU only final output rendering, or can be even better. And this is even done in much lesser time. (what more could be asked for?)

• 6. Re: Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU
                    SebastiaanFP Level 1

Hallo JEShort,

I am on Adobe CC, I didn't mention it because I thought everybody is already on the CC Suite.

I know about the speed benefits of adding the GPU to the process, and I also could find quite some information about the fact that direct rendering from PPRO is faster then queuing from the AME. And how the GPU supports the real time playback of effects in PPRO. But my point of interest here is the final output quality, not the speed of the process.

So you found that with the CC version there are no more quality differences if I understood you correctly? That is great.

I Guess in your last sentence you made a type error when you stated " CC on the other hand seems work just fine with CPU acceleration on (for me anyway)"

And you meant GPU instead of CPU?

Here I found one article where the author also came to the conclusion that GPU acceleration actually increases the quality of the final output render, next to also significantly reducing the final render time needed:

http://www.shawnlam.ca/2011/adobe-cs5-5-max-render-quality-nvidia-gpu-acceleration/

Thank you for responding!

Message was edited by: SebastiaanFP (typo)

• 7. Re: Final Output Rendering: CPU vs CPU + GPU
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Sebastiaan,

The article in the link that you provided is interesting.

And you are correct, for my comment regarding CC; I intended "GPU" (not "CPU") acceleration .

Cheers,

Jim