6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2013 2:42 PM by cheztaa

Page numbering order incorrect

cheztaa

I am new to Adobe Indesign CS6 and have created a document. I created a master page with my background images and wanted to add automatic page numbering. That works fine, my issue is that indesign is recognising the page order incorrectly in the pages panel.

For example:

Page Numbering.JPG

Here is my Numbering and Sections Options

Numbering Options.JPG

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Page numbering order incorrect
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you show us the master page, too, please?

It actually looks like you've got a section prefix (1) or possible a section marker (also 1) assigned (and you're not showing us the options for that section), or maybe your paragraph style is defined as a numbered list.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Page numbering order incorrect
            cheztaa Level 1

I have found my solution.

If anyone is having the same issue this is what I did.
            Edit> Preferences >General >View: Absolute Numbering

I had it set on Section Numbering instead of Absolute Numbering, that was my problem

Preferences.JPG

• 3. Re: Page numbering order incorrect

That isn't really the answer. That shows the physical page number -- the posirion in the document, but it won't display that number on the page if you have a page marker.

• 4. Re: Page numbering order incorrect
                cheztaa Level 1

Yeah sorry, got my hopes up too quickly there.

From your comment I looked at my sections and had found out I had different ones.

I did not know that the black arrow in the panels page signified this so i double clicked it and unclicked 'Start Section'

I have double checked the whole document and my page numbers appear correctly on the document and in the page panel.

Sections.JPGStart Section.JPG

I checked my paragraph style and it was the basic style from default.

So I don't jump the gun again. Does this sound like the solution?

Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: Page numbering order incorrect

Are the numbers showing correctly now when you have section numbering instead of absolute?

Should you have more than one section (you need that if you want to have the number 1 appear several pages into a document, as you normally would in a book, with pages before numbered in samll roman numerals, tyically).

• 6. Re: Page numbering order incorrect
                    cheztaa Level 1

I had numerous different sections throughout out the document starting on different page numbers (I don't know how I managed that) So I deleted all the unwanted sections and the page numbering works with both section numbering and absolute numbering

Thank you