2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2007 3:40 PM by abeall

Smooth dissolve/reveal effect

AdobeMe123
      I would consider my skill level basic-intermediate. I am trying to create an effect where I reveal a layer by creating a circle mask to mix/dissolve one layer with another. Instead of just generating a hard circle edge, I would like it to be a gradient, or smooth dissolve/mix reveal...? If I need to be more clear, please let me know.

thanks for any help
        • 1. Re: Smooth dissolve/reveal effect
          Level 7
          AdobeMe123 wrote:
          > I would consider my skill level basic-intermediate. I am trying to create an
          > effect where I reveal a layer by creating a circle mask to mix/dissolve one
          > layer with another. Instead of just generating a hard circle edge, I would
          > like it to be a gradient, or smooth dissolve/mix reveal...? If I need to be
          > more clear, please let me know.

That is beyond Fireworks capabilities. Try Adobe Flash instead.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Smooth dissolve/reveal effect
            abeall Level 3
            I agree that Flash or AfterEffects is better for this, but you could create a soft mask like this:
            1) Create an ellipse with the ellipse tool. Hold Shift to make a circle.
            2) In the properties panel, set the edge type from "anti-alias" to "feather."
            3) Cut the ellipse (Edit > Cut)
            4) Select you image, and choose Modify > Mask > Paste as mask

Now you could make the mask a little bigger on each frame, basically hand creating the animation:
            1) In the Layers panel, click the link between the mask and image to unlink the mask (so you can move the mask or image separately from each other)
            2) In the Frames panel (Window > Frames) select frame 1
            3) Using the Frames panel menu button in the top right, choose "Duplicate frame"
            4) In the duplicate frame, go to the Layers panel and select the mask
            5) Use the Scale tool to make it a little bigger. Watch the feather amount, it will probably be increased automatically after you scale the object, but you probably don't want it to increase, so put it back to what it was.
            6) Repeat this until the whole image is revealed.