5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 10:25 AM by John T Smith

Premiere Elements 10

declosion

My screen flickers when I add fade-in or fade-out. here's the setup: I have a single audio file running the lenght of vid. I have a still photo of a speaker. And I have about 15 different stills, each being a slide from a Powerpoint presentation. When I add fade-in or -out to the slide, both the slide itself and the still of the speaker flickers. I've made several other videos using the same technique and did not encounter this problem. And in the current video, the flickering does not happen with every slide, but most of them. So weird. How to fix?

[Corrected title to reflect version of PrE - Hunt]

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 1
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you really using version 1 of the software? On what operating system?

Have you ensured that any photos you use in your project are no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size?

Do you render your timeline (press Enter) whenever you see a red or yellow line above the clips on your timeline to smooth playback?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 1
            declosion Level 1

Many thanks, Steve.

Actually, it's Elements 10 that I'm using.

OS is Windows 7 Professional

I'm not sure how to measure image size in pixels (I don't know how to do hardly anything involving a computer, except curse at it). The largest flickering image in vid is 270 kb (that's according to Windows Explorer; when I open it in Photoshop, the same image is 4.83M (300 dpi at 5 inches wide)). I used a much larger file (vid clip) at beginning of vid, 22MB, and it does not flicker.

Yes, I rendered. Did not help.

Do you recommend I ask my boss for a new version of Elements?

Thanks,

Pat

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 1
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 10 is relatively new, so you should be fine with it.

If you open Windows Explorer and click on one of your photos, it should show you its measurements. (The size of the file itself doesn't mean much, since JPEGs can be compressed in a number of ways. What matters is the height and width, measured in pixels.)

Although, if your image files are all from PowerPoint, they are not likely overlarge.

Have you rendered your timeline, as I suggested above, to see if that improves your playback?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 1
                declosion Level 1

I did the rendering, but it had no effect.

I'm going to consider this an inexplicable glitch and just let the video fly without the fading effects.

Your feedback was much appreciated, Steve.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 1
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0