22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 7:15 AM by Kawika808

PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?

Kawika808 Level 1

Is there a way to include a static page (one that will remain visible until the viewer clicks something else) at the start of a video in PE12?

You see this in some videos - a menu button to a page with notes, or a "read me first" type of page that has no time limit (just as the menu has no time limit).

• 1. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, if it is a menu page.

• 2. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In fact, that's the DEFINITION of a menu page.

• 3. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
              Kawika808 Level 1

So I would create a menu, with a button leading to another menu?

Adobe makes no mention of this, nor how it might be done.

Adobe "manual" makes it appear that menu buttons will all lead to footage which will run for its existing duration when accessed.  In other words, not static, but limited to whatever time I set--not for as long as the view might care to read it.

• 4. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not sure if what you want can be done in PrE, as it's Menu navigation is pretty linear, and semi-automatic. However, someone might have a trick, or two, that they can share.

In a full-featured authoring app, like Adobe Encore, one would create a Menu, that would basically be a Play First, before the Main Menu, that navigates to either the scenes, or to Scene Select Menus. That Play First Menu would have your text, and only one Button, leading, probably, to the Main Menu. That Play First Menu would come up, then hold, until the user clicked the Button to actually begin navigating the disc.

Without the interactivity of that Button, one would have a Video Clip, with say the copyright info on it, that would play before the Main Menu. In that case, the Duration would be that of the Play First Video Clip. In a program like Encore, the author can disable the user's ability to go to anything else, so that they have to have that notice on screen. When it finishes, full navigation would be restored.

It is probably possible to do what you want with Sony's DVD Architect, but I have never used that program. All you need is an application that will allow you to add custom Menus.

With PrE, the closest that I can come would be to not use Scene Markers on the Timeline, then have a Main Menu (only) with the notice, and a single Play All Button. However, if you also want the ability to navigate with Scene Markers, that Play All Button would lead to the Scene Select Buttons. An alternative would be to customize that Main Menu so that there are two Buttons, a Play All, and then a Button to lead to the Scene Select Menus. One would just replace any graphic on the Main Menu with the text required. Not sure if that would help you, but might be worth a try?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                  Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, Bill,

I'll do some work with it and see what happens.  Wish I had bought some other program, but it's a bit late to start over.  I'm sure something will work out.

• 6. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

When all is said and done, I am still not sure what will work for you.

This does sound like a first play before the menus rather than menus. I can tell you how to achieve a first play before menus with Premiere Elements in conjunction with a 3rd party program. But, in my model that duration of the first play clip (video or still) would define its play time before the main menu automatically will start.

If it sounds of interests, please check out my blog post on Premiere Elements and first play opportunities.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-first-play-for-dvd-video-on-dvd-disc.html

ATR

• 7. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808,

It's not really too late to add DVD Architect to your toolbox. IIRC, it's about US $39 for the download.

It is a much more full-featured authoring app., than what is included in PrE. Many love it, and report very favorably on its capabilities, especially when doing authoring beyond the capabilities of what PrE offers. I have not used it (as I own and use Adobe Encore, but it is no longer being developed, or supported), so cannot comment directly on what it IS capable of doing. However, if I understand correctly, it will allow one to create a Menu (with just Text and one Button), that does what you want, before the Main Menu, and any Scene Selection Menus. I know that Encore can do that, but it is not a viable solution.

Now, and as ATR points out, one alternative would be to create a Play First Video, before the PrE Main Menu, with just a bit of work. The only limitation to that workflow, would be that one will only have the Duration of that Play First Video, and it will then automatically go to the Main Menu, when complete. As it will not have any Buttons, the only choices that the viewer has will be: let that Play First Video complete, or to hit the Menu button on the player's remote, to get to the Main Menu. Those are not great limitation, so ATR's method should work for you, just with those two limitations.

As you are wishing to do some intricate authoring, based on some previous posts, it might be worth the $40 to give DVD Architect a try. Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD here, has written a nice book on DVD Architect, and that might be worth a look, before you buy.

Good luck, and we will follow your progress.

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Does one really have to buy DVD Architect to see if it works for the intended purpose? Is a tryout available before purchase?

ATR

• 9. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I have no idea - sorry. As I have my authoring needs met, I have never looked into it. However, so many here, and at Muvipix, have sung its praises, that I feel comfortable in recommending it.

I am sure that Steve G. can fill in the blanks.

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                            Kawika808 Level 1

ATR,

You are right, I'm not talking about a menu page but "a static page...at the start of the video," perhaps reached by menu buttons.  Play First or First Play page.

Your blogspot post is very informative but the process sounds a bit complicated.  I'm not a tech guy, nor, frankly do I enjoy wading through computer programs that often seem to have been designed by people who enjoy unraveling mysteries and devising workarounds, or inflicting them on others; I prefer to shoot the footage and do the editing with as few detours as possible.

But I have gotten this far, and the project specs call for a Menu, so one way or another I will end up creating one.

After a number of tests of final IQ, I would rather not do the entire job in PE12; I found a number of issues with DVDs burned directly from the PE12 program, including very poor IQ (the large number of hits on PE forums dedicated to the topic of IQ on DVDs indicate that many users share my dissatisfaction).  I have gotten the best result from creating a file in PE12, exporting as MP4, and using another program to author a DVD from the MP4.  So far I have only tried WinXDVD Author, which does a great job except for the Menu: they have included a non-removable first play page with their logo on it, which of course is totally unacceptable.  So it's back to the drawing board for the Menu.

I will look into the program you recommended, PgcEdit.  Would it be able to accept an MP4 with menu markers included, and use that to author a DVD with a fully functioning menu?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions in many posts.

Message was edited by: Kawika808 - typo

• 11. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                              Kawika808 Level 1

Bill,

DVD Architect is certainly a good price.  Do you happen to know if it:

1. Can accept an MP4 file, with menu markers in place (generated in PE12) and author a DVD from it?

2. Can import the PE12 project so I can continue working on the project in DVD Architect?  I have quite a few hours invested already, and although I could probably replicate the whole thing it would be mind-numbing.

Thanks for all your help.

--------------

UPDATE:

For anyone who may read this thread, here is what I learned about DVD Architect (my comments in brackets).

• Import audio, video, and stills
                              • Menu-based and drag-and-drop interface for DVD design and authoring
                              • DVD movie creation
                              • Still and motion menu creation
                              • NTSC and PAL in standard (4:3) and widescreen (16:9) formats
                              • Add, edit, and move chapter points [a very good feature if it works well]
                              • Adjustable project and file optimization settings
                              • Virtual remote to preview the final project before burning to DVD [this looks pretty nice]
                              • View safe grid areas to ensure proper image and button placement
                              • Text editing and shadow effects
                              • Customizable themes
                              • Supports a wide variety of DVD burners

Supported Formats

Image: .bmp, .gif, .jpeg .jpg, .png, .psd, .tif, .tiff, .targa, .tga

Video: .avi, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .qt, .wmv

Audio: .aa3, .ac3, .aif, .ogg, .oma, .sfa, .vox, .w64, .wma

Message was edited by: Kawika808 - update

• 12. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?

Fist of all, you want DVD Architect Studio, not the pro version.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

Kawika808 wrote:

Bill,

DVD Architect is certainly a good price.  Do you happen to know if it:

1. Can accept an MP4 file, with menu markers in place (generated in PE12) and author a DVD from it?

It says it will accept an MP4, but it's best to output to Mpeg 2-DVD and create the chapter markers in DVDAS.

2. Can import the PE12 project so I can continue working on the project in DVD Architect?  I have quite a few hours invested already, and although I could probably replicate the whole thing it would be mind-numbing.

No. DVDAS is an authoring program.  You do all of your video editing in Pre El, except for the menu.  When your editing is done, output it to Mpeg 2-DVD.  Then make your menu(s) and starting page in DVDAS.  The help will walk you through this very well. 

Here is some excellent free tutorials (scroll down):

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44

I use DVDAS and it is very user friendly.  You can't beat the price for the "bang for the buck."

• 13. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808,

I do not, as I have never used the program.

However, there are many users over at Muvipix.com, sort of a "sister" site to this forum. In there Community Forums, there is an entire sub-forum dedicated to that program: http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=92

I would post your questions there, and many experienced users will be able to help you out. Also, a great many use PrE, so they can probably relate directly, to using PrE to edit, and DVD Architect to author.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                    Kawika808 Level 1

Bob,

Thanks for this very useful information.

Is there some compelling reason to export MP2 instead of MP4?  In the limited test runs that I made from PE12 to DVD and PE12 to WinXDVD Author to DVD, the MP4 delivered much, much better IQ.  For that reason, I would prefer to use it if possible.

I will do a test run with a very short clip, exporting from PE12 in both formats and seeing how the DVDs turn out.  (As I did with WinXDVD Author.) But if you have any experience about this I would appreciate it.

Been working on this all day and almost forgot:

Happy New Year!  Year of the Horse (which actually doesn't start until Feb. 14).

• 15. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                      Kawika808 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the tip and the link.  I will definitly look into it, since I'm sure I will need all the help I can get. 

And a Happy New Year to you--you have certainly made the last part of this year better for my video efforts!

• 16. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                        nealeh Level 5

I'm another happy user of Architect Studio. To answer one of your questions though you have to set the menu markers within the program. It only imports raw media.

There is a free trial available - http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 17. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                          Kawika808 Level 1

Neale,

Thanks for letting me know about the limitation.

I can find only a download version of v.5.0.  I strongly prefer to buy all my software on CD.  v.4.5 is available in CD form.  Is there any significant advantage to getting v.5.0 as opposed to v.4.5?

Alternatively, where can I buy the CD version of 5.0?

• 18. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808,

If one is going to produce a DVD-Video as the final delivery, the only allowed Transcoding is MPEG-2 DVD, for that DVD-Video. Regardless what one feeds the authoring program, it will be Transcoded to MPEG-2 DVD, and will then be wrapped into a VOB (Video Object) file, or files.

Now, that MPEG-2 DVD is an older format, and there are newer and better CODEC's available now. However, MPEG-2 DVD was what was agreed upon for DVD-Video, when it was developed. It is a much older format now, but is locked in by the DVD-Video specs.. The only options are to either burn an HD Timeline to BD (Blu-ray Disc), or create an AVCHD Disc, which is sort of like BD, but with differences, and will only be playable via a BD player.

I *believe* that DVD Architect wants an MPEG-2 DVD file, to author. I do not know how well, or even IF it can ingest an HD file, say MP4 w/ H.264, and down-rez that file, for final authoring to a DVD-Video. Even if it can, I would caution against introducing an extra level of compression, into the mix. H.264, while very good, IS a compressed CODEC. Something is always lost, when compressing Video with a lossey format - each generation of lossey compression will reduce quality.

Now, I have no doubt that an MP4 from a Timeline, is better than the older MPEG-2 DVD - but remember, that is only for the output file. If one then has to compress once more, to MPEG-2 DVD for authoring to a DVD-Video, the quality will decrease.

When I author a DVD-Video, with Adobe Encore, I have basically two choices, with one variation. I can Export a DV-AVI file, which will be Imported into Encore, which will Transcode to MPEG-2 DVD automatically - doing a very good job. A variation of that woudl be to use that same DV-AVI in Encore, and manually set the Transcoding myself. I could also Export an MPEG-2 DVD, taking many things into consideration (using Bit Budgeting), and then Import that MPEG-2 DVD into Encore, where it will not need to be Transcoded again. Another variation is that with one of the Adobe Suites, I can dynamically link my Timeline from PrPro to Encore, where Encore will do the Transcoding of that Timeline. I do not need to Export anything. All of those workflows will basically yield the same DVD-Video. *

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

* Some feel that the MainConcept MPEG-2 DVD Encoder is not the ultimate, so they can use other Encoders to create the MPEG-2 DVD. There are several "better" Encoders, that range from a couple $100, all the way up to the Encoder software, that Hollywood uses, that cost $100,000's, and are run by experts, who do nothing but Encode for DVD-Video, all day long. Such software will allow many passes, in the Encoding process, where with other software, they likely only have the option to do a 1-pass, or 2-pass Encoding. That is one reason that a commercial DVD-Video can look so good - especially with high motion material. A 10-pass Encoding, in the hands of an expert, can do so much more, than we mere mortals.

• 19. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                              Kawika808 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for some very useful information.

My comments on MP2 vs. MP4 are based on my own (admittedly limited) testing, which involved outputting MP2 and MP4 from PE12, then burning each of those files to DVD.

For each, I burned one DVD directly from the MP2 and MP4 files using my HP Pavilion.

For each, I also burned one DVD from MP2 and one from MP4 via WinXDVD Author, again using my HP Pavilion.

In both procedures, the DVDs burned using MP4 as the input burn file were far better in terms of IQ.  This is why I prefer to use MP4 as the file to burn.

I don't know if it is only with PE12 that this very noticeable IQ difference occurs, or if it would be the same with other programs.  But PE12 is what I'm using at this point.

In any case, I first use a very small file to test, so that I'm not wasting more time than necessary.

For anyone who might be interested, I described this in a bit more detail in another forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5962871#5962871

("How do you make better quality DVDs").  (At the end of the thread at this time.)

Message was edited by: Kawika808 -additional information

• 20. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                                nealeh Level 5

I don't know if there is a retail version of DVDAS, I bought it as a download. There is a toll free order phone number if you're in the US that could let you know. But there is nothing special about the download file - you can burn it to a CD for a permanent copy.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale
                                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 21. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?

Kawika808 wrote:

Is there any significant advantage to getting v.5.0 as opposed to v.4.5?

The main difference is that v5 supports Bluray and v4.5 doesn't.

• 22. Re: PE12: possible to incude a static page at start of video?
                                                    Kawika808 Level 1

Neale & Bob,

Thanks for clarifying both points (download & v.5.0).  I went ahead and bought the 5.0 download; no interest in BluRay now, but who knows?  And there may be some other hidden difference that would make 5.0 better.

Neale,

Any special tips or tricks for burning to CD?  (Hidden files or folders, etc.?)  Would the program still work if loaded to a computer in this manner?  I thought that all the manufacturers put codes in the originals and the downloads, so that unofficial copies wouldn't work.