3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2013 10:13 AM by Dave LaRonde

Positioning Messing up

Tehcodkid

When i use the Position "effect" the layer under it moves as well. Say i move layer #2 which is above layer #3 to the position 1000,360 layer #2 moves the other way the same amount i moved layer #2. Here a GIF (watch it in MP4) http://gyazo.com/f81b5cf00f1e5e742ba243cc230f921c. As you can see at the end layer #3 moves the opposite way as layer #2. I dont know what is going on. Mabey i have something turned on/off but if someone could help me out i would appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Positioning Messing up
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I honestly don't know what I'm looking at. The footage itself moves so fast it makes my head spin. in any case, without seeing what tool or effect  you actually use, nobody can say anything. Could be a CoDec issue or a glitch with hardware accelerated drawing, but it's realyl indiscernible what actually is going on from those fast moving pictures.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Positioning Messing up
            Tehcodkid Level 1

Im using the built in Positioning effect, like when you hit the drop down arrow then you hit the drop down arrow for the transition. its that positioning. i know its fast but ever since ive had my AE its done that

• 3. Re: Positioning Messing up
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Im using the built in Positioning effect, like when you hit the drop down arrow then you hit the drop down arrow for the transition. its that positioning.

Okay, let's get our AE Lingo straight: it's like you're writing Swahili, but we read only English.

Position is a PROPERTY found in a layer's twirl-down button.  You principally animate it by setting a keyframe, then changing the layer's position values at a different spot in the timeline.

An EFFECT is something you apply to a layer, and there are MANY of them, located in the Effects & Presets panel.  You can animate effects, too: once applied, many of the values of effects can be keyframed.  And there isn't a "Position" effect, either.

So what are you doing: animating a layer's position or animating an effect that you've applied to a layer?

Some screen grabs of your AE window would be helpful in figuring out what's wrong.  Not to mention giving us crucial information, a list of which you'll find here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200845#4200845

It also sounds like you'd benefit from spending some quality time here:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

If you try to use AE by just messing around with it, you'll get hopelessly lost... as it appears you are at this moment.  Blow off learning the basics at your peril.

1 person found this helpful