5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 3:13 PM by Steve Werner

Need to combine 300+ files

LMDesign19

I need to combine over 300 one page InDesign files into one file. Is there any way to do this without opening each one separately? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Need to combine 300+ files
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Easiest thing might be to add them to a Book (.indb) file....

• 2. Re: Need to combine 300+ files
            LMDesign19 Level 1

I've never worked with book files before but just tried it. What I am trying to accomplish (and using CC) is to combine these documents so that I can delete existing style sheets and replace them with new ones and then I will flow the styled copy into my layout.

What I'm experiencing with the book file is that I can't delete/replace the style sheets once and have it apply to all pages. Am I doing something wrong or is that the way book files work - each one acts like an independent file within the book?

• 3. Re: Need to combine 300+ files
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Once they are all in a book, you can synchronize all of the documents to one master document.

• 4. Re: Need to combine 300+ files
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It always helps to have complete inforamtion about waht you want to do.

A book may still work. If all the files use the same stylenames (and they are case sensitive), you can pick one document as your style source and update it to what you want, then sychronize the styles through the book. This is the fastest way to coordinate styles across multiple documents.

Styles with the same names will be redefined in all the other documents, styles that appear in the source, but are not present in other documents, will be added withthe source definitions, and styles that are present in other docs, but not iin the source, will not be modified.

• 5. Re: Need to combine 300+ files
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be aware that you could bump into a limit putting that many documents into a book file. I think when manipulating changes, InDesign has to have all documents open (though not visible). I can't seem to find an actual limit documented, unfortunately.