I find it interesting to think that using two different master pages would cause an issue like this.
Using lists and chapter numbers shouldn't be affected by text fields. I can undertand paragraph numbering, across text fields, but chapter numbers, across documents, where only 1 number is called per document... that doesn't make sense.
Anyone? Adobe Rep? Adobe Support? Friendly Passerby?
What's the good word.... ?
This isn't Adobe support. This is a user forum. This is also taking place during the holidays when many of the regular users aren't even here.
In the meantime, please be patient, and when someone who has the experience to answer the question and the time to read through your long posting, you'll probably hear from someone.
(I'm not familiar enough with those issues to attempt to answer.)
1 person found this helpful
Looks like this is a Book? Is that right?
Is the text frame overridden?
It is infact a book. How do I check to see if the text frame is overridden?
1 person found this helpful
Did you add text to it on the document page, or is all the text on the master page? If it was added on the document page it is overridden.
Have you checked the settings for synching numbers, by the way? It could be that's where the problem is (and that you need to actually synch them).
I can see a lot of missing documents in your book by the way (all the question marks)...
How did you set up Chapter numbering in your stand alone documents? Hard numbering? Or did you let the bookfile do the numbering? Did you try 'update all numbering' from the bookpanel fly out menu? Updating numbering while you have lots of missing links to bookfile documents can break things.
So I took a look at the text frames, they're all linked properly. See screen cap.
This is what Chapter 2 looks like...
The text is not located on the master pages. It is however placed inside of the text frame which the master pages host. i.e The master pages have their margins and textfields. When I create a new page, it includes a text field. The screen caps above show Master-A and Master-B threaded together.
As for the page numbering... They're generated using lists and automatic numbering via paragraph styles...
See the screen caps in my first post.
And heres the chapter title line selected. Note the number is not selected.
So... I just checked the Page Numbering Options...
And found this....
Ummm.... *face desk* Looks like I had document chapter numbering set to start at Chapter Number: 1.
I'll update and see if that helps.
Aaaaaaaaand I think I fixed it...
Steps to resolve at bottom
I fixed the page nubering options for every document. Still nothing. Checked overrides and the styles. Cleared overrirdes. And that looked like it might have started to work, and then I rememebered sometimes assignments can cause issues with numbers. So I checked every document out, cleared overrides again (manually... thanks Adobe for the Actions Palette) then I ran Update All Chapter and Para numbers, and....*Taaaaaa Daaaa* It worked.
Thanks everyone for your help, and patience while I worked through this. We have a few people working on the document, otherwise I wouldn't have made assignemnts this early in the project.
So the possible sollutions are...
- Check your document page numbering options.
- Check your Styles and lists.
- Make sure your styles are "contuning from previous" in the numbering section.
- Check to make sure you have your assignments checked out or unlinked.
- Check to make sure you have no overrides applied. Clear them if you do.
- Run "Update All Numbers" or "Update Chapter and Paragraph Numbers" after you've checked everything out.