7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 8:48 AM by A.T. Romano

How to make sound stereo?

Isacksen

Why does sound only come out of one speaker, even though my video's audio is balanced? I'm in Preimere Elements 7 using .MTS and .MOV files.

• 1. Re: How to make sound stereo?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Isacksen,

If this is a separate Audio file, when you Dbl-click on that Audio in Project Assets Panel, to open it in the Source Monitor (small monitor, that looks a lot like the Program Monitor), do you see two channels of Waveform? In Properties, do you see that it is 2-channel, or 1-channel?

There are several ways to get the Audio signal into both channels, if you only have 1-channel (Mono). What you are starting with, will likely dictate which you choose.

Are you working with a separate Audio file, or is it Multiplexed into a file with both a Video and an Audio stream?

Does it show 1-channel, or 2-channel?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to make sound stereo?
            Isacksen Level 1

Hi Bill,

I have both audio files and mixed files. I don't see anywhere where it labels it one or two channeled. The properties for the audio only do list it as stereo. The source is from a recording device. The mixed files from the Sony camera that are .mts list them as 6-channeled. I don't know where else to look for find the channel information....

• 3. Re: How to make sound stereo?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Isacksen

After you import your video with audio into Premiere Elements 7, if you right click the file in Project Media, and select Properties, what is the reading for Source Audio Format for each of your files.

Mono

Stereo 2 channel

5.1 channel (frequently shown as 6 channel)

If all you see is Stereo (for your camera sources), that is 99.9999999 = 2 channel.

Are all your audio clips characterized by sound coming from one speaker?

Have you experimented with the Fill Left and Fill Right Audio Effects? What happens if you take Premiere Elements 7 out of the equation and play back these files from a computer player and your speakers?

ATR

ATR

• 4. Re: How to make sound stereo?
                Isacksen Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Under Properties, audio is listed as either:

44100Hz - 32 at floating point Stereo

or

48000Hz - compressed - 6 channels

All sound during the whole video only comes from one speaker (and I tried it on various computers.) For camera shots, audio comes out of both sides when I plug in the headphones directly, however, I did find my audio for the recorder only comes out of one side when listening with headphones.

I don't know how to mess with the Fill Right or Left, but I know how to check the balance, which is at zero (the middle) between L and R. This may be the same thing, but I don't see a label called "Fill."

Isacksen

• 5. Re: How to make sound stereo?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Isacksen

Check out the description of the Premiere Elements Audio Effects in the following Adobe Document

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS4B8135DA-083C-42eb-B09E-65070ECBC889. html#WSF8CBE888-6702-4f8b-A85E-71B4B1531883

The Fill Left or Fill Left is dragged into your audio clip as an Audio Effect...According to an excerpt from the Adobe document

Fill Left, Fill Right

The Fill Left effect duplicates the left channel information of the audio clip and places it in the right channel, discarding the original clip’s right channel information. The Fill Right effect duplicates the right channel information and places it in the left channel, discarding the existing left channel information. For example, you might use this effect on footage shot with a monaural microphone plugged into only one channel of a camcorder, extending the voice of a speaker from one channel to both.

There should also be a "Swap Channels" audio effect.

The document is updated to more recent versions of the program, but many of the audio effects of earlier versions still exist in later versions.

Could you remind me, does the sound from one speaker only exist only when both 2 channel and 5.1 channel are on the same Timeline? Or, does the situation exist with just 2 channel or just 5.1 channel is on that Timeline and you are listening to it via playback of the Timeline in the Edit Mode Monitor?

ATR

• 6. Re: How to make sound stereo?
                    Isacksen Level 1

Hallelujah - that worked! Sound was only coming from one speaker the entire time - whether it was a 2 channel or a 5.1 channel. Those channels are appearing on different timelines when attached to their respective video clip. Thank you for your help!

• 7. Re: How to make sound stereo?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Isacksen

Thanks for the follow up with very great news ....."that worked!" and for staying with the troubleshooting.

Continued success.

Best wishes.

ATR