9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 8:36 AM by Trilo Byte

Need new notebook for video editing

vagabond123

I've been shopping for a new notebook for my friend. He will be editing 50 p loaded from his Panasonic HC - X920, using Premier Pro.

It must be a notebook, a desktop is not an option. I've narrowed it down to a particular Asus system here in Northern Thailand. Selection/variety is a bit of an issue here.

It will be used primarily for editing short clips ( 6 - 30 seconds ) used as stock footage. On occasion he does a 1 - 5 minute YouTube video.

I'm aware the following system only has a 5400 RPM drive and that is my main concern. Other than that, will the system have sufficient resources for most jobs (short clips)?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

ASUS N750JV-T4099H

CPU Intel Core i7-4700HQ (2.40 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
        ChipsetMobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset
      Graphic system
        Graphic Chip nVidia GeForce GT 750M (4 GB GDDR3)
      Display
        Type17.3 inch WUXGA (1920x1080) Full HD LED
      Main Memory
        Memory16 GB DDR3
      Hard Disk Drive
        Hard Disk1 TB 5400 RPM
      Optical Disc Drive
        DriveBlu-ray Disc Drive (Blu-ray Writable)
      Web Camera
        DetailsHD Webcam

• 2. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is a fine laptop for video editing except as you say for the disk drive.  But if you get that unit it can support at least one additional hard drive/SSD drrive   If I were to buy one I would remove the 5400 rpm drive and install two Samsung Pro SSD's.  A simple USB3 2.5 inch external enclosure would be the perfect place to install the 1 TB hard drive to be used for archiving.  That would be my current video editing "dream" laptop.  Also you can get a hard drive carrier to be used interchangeably with the Blu-ray drive.

Because of the power consumption of these high performance products you should be aware that most of the time you need to be using the laptop plugged into an AC outlet.

• 3. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
            vagabond123 Level 1

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Bill. It's what I was hoping for.

Without swapping out the 1 TB hard drive, would you say editing short clips is doable? Would there be noticable jitter when editing short clips or only when attempting to load and edit many clips at once?

Currently on the Dell with an i-5 processor, we're able to handle single clips in Premier Elements no problem. I'm assuming we could do the same with the new system which has considerably more ram and a better graphics card. But of course I don't want to commit my friend to buying a system which can't then handle 50 p clips.

Thanks in advance. I do appreciate the input.

• 4. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not think Premiere Pro would be useable on short clips unless they are SD DV clips  Premiere Pro is completely different than Premiere Elements and requires much more processing power.  There is an ASUS version of this computer that has a 750 G b 7200 rpm disk drive.  Inquire with your vendor to see if it is available.

• 5. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
                vagabond123 Level 1

If neccessary we may just end up using an upgraded version of Elements on the new machine. Apparently there is more color control available on Elements 12 than version 10 and this is something my friend has requested. It's the main reason he wants to upgrade to Pro.

Making changes here in Thailand is not always easy. I'll revisit the vendor and see about upgrading the drive as you have suggested.

Thanks again Bill.

• 6. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
                  Trilo Byte Level 1

I'll second Bill's recommendation for a better storage solution.  With a 5400rpm drive, it will be struggling out of the gate every time it's reading or writing data, which is most of the time.  If your friend has the option to bump up to a 7200rpm drive or (better still) an SSD, he would be in much better shape.  If not, then your friend might want to consider getting the smallest/least expensive drive that he can get in that box, and then immediately replace it with either an SSD or 7200rpm drive (the machine should be using standard 2.5" drives, which are readily available).

• 7. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
                    vagabond123 Level 1

Thanks Trilo, I've just returned from the local shop and he's suggested a different model ( G750JW-T4055H) which does allow for an additional drive (they won't swap out the 5400 for a 7200 on other model) and also comes with a better graphics card for minimally more.

He suggested keeping the 1T 5400 but adding the 256 SSD as he's had other customers who are using this configuration for editing and are happy with it.

I'll let you know what we finally go with and how it works out.

Many thanks to both you and Bill for the excellent advice.

• 8. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
                      vagabond123 Level 1

Hello Bill and Trilo,

Just put in the order for the Asus G750JW-T4055H

Comes with 1 TB 5400 Drive

GeForce GTX765MX (DDR5 2 GB)

It will also include upgraded ram ( 16 GB ) and a 256 GB SSD

I'm confident this will do the job. My friend should be quite happy!

• 9. Re: Need new notebook for video editing
                        Trilo Byte Level 1

Very nice, congrats to your friend!