• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

error 2038

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open some of my ebooks - error 2038 is coming up.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give more details please.

1. Are you trying to open the books on ADE (Digital Editions) or on some other device?
  2. Which version of ADE?
  3. Are you opening .acsm, .epub or .pdf files?
  4. Are they books you have opened OK in the past?
  5. Have you made any other changes, such as installing a different version of ADE?
  6. Does the message have any other text or information: 2038 appears to be a very generic file error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I am opening the ebooks on ADE

2. version 1.7.2.

3.epub

4.yes

5.no

6. 10 error on local file open.

error # 2038

AND ifI try to load the ebook onto my Kobo  a message comes up -- unauthorized to use and the book goes black with the word "missing" in the top corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really would like this issue resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all the ebooks are not opening. Odd.

One reason for that could be that some of the books don't use DRM at all.

One other possibility worth a try

~~~~~

Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.

Another is  "E_AUTH_NOT_READY"

This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.

In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people.  Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried that unsucessfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really clutching at straws here.

Try Sony Reader; free download from Sony intended to run with Sony eReaders but works quite happily without.  https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

Is it possible one of your discs is full or corrupted, or somehow something set to prevent writing into your Documents/My Digital Editions folder?

You said earlier I only have had trouble with Adobe since I had to do a factory reset on my Kobo.

Was there some problem that made you decide to factory reset the Kobo?

Just wondering if it is possible that the problem really started just before that, which could give an extra clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problems with ADE before the factory reset on my Kobo Glo. I had to do a factory reset with the Kobo since my reader froze with an upgrade - not uncommon with Kobos and upgrades - and it would only unfreeze with the factory reset.

Since I do have a Kobo, I am wondering why download Sony?

And I am wondering how there could be a coonection with the factory reset and ADE? Or is it just a coincidence? All these ebooks were previously on my Kobo before the reset.

What is the "disc"?

It is not only that I cannot place ebooks on my ereader, I cannot open them through ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering why download Sony?  As it is an alternative to ADE, it would be interesting to see if it worked for reading the books you can't read on ADE.  It might not be a long term solution as you probably couldn't get the Kobo re-authorized that way, but could give extra evidence that would help sort out the problem.

And I am wondering how there could be a coonection with the factory reset and ADE? Or is it just a coincidence?  I was wondering the same.  I didn't think there was anything fed back from the device to ADE, but it is possible.  Just trying to think of any reason for ADE to stop working suddenly ~ at least ADE1.7.2; ADE2 seems to stop working for no obvious reason fairly regularly.

By the disc I mean the hard drive (probably C drive) where your operating system, the ADE software and ADE library live; you will see it see when you explore the computer.  I assume you are on Windows not Mac, though could apply to both.

It is not only that I cannot place ebooks on my ereader, I cannot open them through ADE.  Yes, that is why I suggested the ctrl-shift-D which you said you have already tried.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling ADE1.7.2; though I am not too hopeful.  In case you have lost the install ...

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I completely uninstall and then redownload ADE will I loose all ebooks on Ade? I have well over 500 ebooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I completely uninstall and then redownload ADE will I loose all ebooks on Ade? I have well over 500 ebooks.

No, you won't lose them. 

As long as you register/authorize the reinstall of ADE with the Adobe ID that the books are registered to.

It may be that you reach your limit of 6 authorizations, in which case you will need to contact Adobe for a reset and reauthorize everything,

irritating but not terminal.

~~~

General safety measures not specifically related to your current situation, but come to mind because of your question.
Might be useful for other readers even if not for you.

1. Whether or not you uninstall/reinstall, you should make sure that you have backup copies of all the books in case of a disaster on PC and Kobo.
    There is no automatic backup by the Adobe infrastructure.
    Unless you already have suitable arrangements,
    I'd suggest and external hard drive and somewhere like Dropbox or Google Drive, which should hold secure copies and 500 books will easily fit into their free allowance.

2. Make sure the email address associated with your Adobe ID/account is up to date.
    If not, log in at the Adobe web site and change it. 
    Do NOT create a new account with a new email, as that account won't have access to old books; update the email associated with an old account.

If you don't keep the email up to date the account will continue to work, but you won't have access to password recovery or get notifications from Adobe.
    This hit some people when Adobe had recent security issues and forced password resets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I seem to have solved the dilemma I was in.

Here is what I did.

I did uninstall the ADE 1.7.2. I was unable to reinstall the same version. Had to install 2.0. Lost all my books on Adobe. But I actually preferred to lose the books for this reason: the ebooks were turning black with the word " missing" in the corner - a big concern to me. All my ebooks are in a library with the distibutor I buy them from. Therefore they are not lost to me - I just had to spend all day redownloading them to this new Adobe version. - a big inconvenience but worth it as I was able to download to my Kobo ebooks today that yesterday I was not able to.

I thank you for your help.

Apparently I have not solved the problem at all!!!!! When I try to open some ebooks I am still getting "empty"! This is frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have had trouble with Adobe since I had to do a factory reset on my Kobo. I never had problems before then. The problem is with both opening the ebook on my Adobe and with resending it to my Kobo. These are ebooks that were previously on my Kobo before the factory reset.

My Adobe version is 1.7.2.1131

I am trying to open epub.

Yes IU could previously open theses ebooks.

The message states:   10 error on local file open.

event detail:

error # 2038

...end...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not install a different version of ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did delete several of the ebooks that were not responding since they are on file there and redownloaded them from the company where they were purchased. This did not work. I get the message :no permission to copy when trying to put ebook to Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you re-authorize the Kobo after the factory reset?

The authorization will have been lost by the factory reset.

While the kobo is plugged in to ADE, menu/Help/Authorize Device to ADE (Library/Authorize Device on older more reliable ade1.7.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have to no avail. When I click on the ebooks that have error they go black with the word "missing" in the corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all the ebooks are not opening. Odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines