18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 11:01 AM by Hegr

"Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12

Hegr

Hi, I have just bought Premiere Elements 12 and want to add a "falling snow" effect to my video. Is this possible / how this can be done in the easiest way?

• 1. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hegr

Do you have Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements 12? What computer operating system are you using?

I have written about this before in another forum a while back.

And, I am on the verge of posting an blog post on the subject in my blog.

ATR

• 2. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
            Hegr Level 1

Yes, I have Elements 12 as well. Windows 8.1. Looking forward to ref to your posting.

Hgr

• 3. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hegr

Great. I have been getting detoured from that blog all week. I will try to get the details posted today. Update and link to follow.

Thanks for your interest.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hegr

I have just posted the blog post on PE: Snow for Christmas.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/12/pe-snow-for-christmas.html

I have proof read it several times. But, if you run into any problems, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Best Wishes.

ATR

• 5. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                  Hegr Level 1

Hello and thank you. I'm looking forward to try out your description. However, I have some problems with getting your demo to work. Snow falls only the first second, then just music, no falling snow (possibly something with the format setting ?).

Since the resulting video is not "alive" I am somewhat uncertain, but it looks to me as you have added snow to one standalone image. What I was originally looking for was whether it is possible to add snow effects to an original live video, not a single picture. Maybe an even bigger challenge?!

Great New Year to you and others too!

Hegr

• 6. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hegr

Thanks for trying the Snow Effect suggested.

There should be no problem with it in principles whether you use a still image or a video on Video Track 1. I will demo that today to prove the point.

What is your project preset for your project and what are the properties of the source media that you have on Video Track 1 for which you want a falling snow effect...duration of the video clip involved? I will use your specific details in the update for video.

I confined the demo to a SD project for posting purposes.

More later.

ATR

• 7. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I do not see any problem to adding your Snow.PSD(s) to live footage either. Well-done, BTW.

However, the choice, and framing, of the live Video might create some issues with "reality." If the live Video is fairly static, about the only thing that might come into play, would be the "snow" falling past the ground, as it appears in that live Video. One could use one of the Garbage Mattes to restrict how far "down" the snow falls, and could be constructed to sort of follow the contours of the ground, say a 16-pt Garbage Matte. Other that that, and it will depend on the live Video, just altering the Duration of the PSD, or repeating it/them, will take care of the Duration of the falling snow.

@Hegr, if you could post a screen-cap from your live Video Clip, and also tell us if you are fairly static, or perhaps Panning with the camera, ATR, can direct you, how to adjust his tutorial, to suit.

Again, nice tutorial.

Hunt

• 8. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I do not envision the necessity for garbage mattes in this.

The major consideration still vs video is matching up the duration of the snow (especially if you have created a stock snow file for yourself) vs the duration of the video.

Obviously, if stretching a still is involved, you do not create a slow or fast moving still since there is no motion. But, with video involved, duration alterations are going to introduce slow or fast motion effects to the degree of alternation. But, all of that is easily addressed. And, I will go into that.

I can demo this now in my blog with video that I have. But, it would be more beneficial to Hegr if I used and ran through the snow video demo with Hegr's details.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my New Year Eve blog post Snow for Christmas.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The reference to Garbage Matte was predicated on imaging what that live Video *might* include for the foreground. Without seeing what that Clip looks like, it is impossible to say whether that Effect would be useful, or not.

If there is snow on the ground (middle ground), but then a street in the foreground, one would not want the "snow" falling through the street, but stopping at the street's surface.

If there is no foreground, to create a problem, then nothing more would need to be done. The camera's placement and angle might well hide any interaction with the foreground, or maybe not.

It will depend on what the live Video Clip looks like, and includes.

Hunt

• 10. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

If Hegr does not return to the thread today, I will probably do the video demo version with my own video and details to get the fundamental considerations posted.

More later.

ATR

Add On...Happy New Year.

• 11. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                              Hegr Level 1

Hi - this is interesting, but as I am fairly new to this game, I need to take one step at a time. Not sure which project preset parameters you are asking for. However, some of the parameters for the video; Image size = 1920x1080, Frame Rate: 30.00, Duration: 8:14 p.m. (shot with iPhone 5). Wrt Bill Hunt comments, unfortunately there is no snow on the ground (still no snow in the eastern part of Norway - should be!). People walking on the street so it would be great if the snow did not "go into it". And yes I am moving the camera from right to left.

Something to add? If this is not sufficient info for you, I suggest you go on with your own version and I will try make use of it.

Cheers  Hegr

• 12. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hegr

Thanks for the information. I will try to go with 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second. Is the duration of the video 8 minutes? Please confirm that.

I will try to post a final fall snow in a video demo in the blog post, but I am not sure if the blog uploader will take a 8 minute 1920 x 1080 video. But, we will get the details across nontheless.

I am targeting get this done within the next 12 hours or sooner.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 13. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                                  Hegr Level 1

Sorry about the duration time. Correct is 20:14 sec. and will fit you better

Again - thanks for engagement.

Hegr

• 14. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                                    Hegr Level 1

Hi again

Seems like I've got it now according to your description. Looks a bit artificial, but anyway - snow! Looking forward to your final version.

Hegr

• 15. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hegr

Glad to learn of your progress with falling snow in the blog post

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/12/pe-snow-for-christmas.html

I have just this minute published another blog post, this second one is specific for snow.psd against a video as opposed to still.

As I said, the principles are the same for this falling snow against still or video. The look is probably magnified in the HD context, but.... And, the nature of the image(s) in the still or video go a long way to defining natural look versus not so natural look.

Please check out this second blog post just published and let us know the outcome.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/01/pe-falling-snow-against-video.html

I have proof read it several times, but, please ask if any questions.

Thank you.

ATR

• 16. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                                        Hegr Level 1

Excelent this - ATR ! Converting to winter time works well as long as you do'nt want to preserve some colors in the image, such as snow on the ground and colored people and houses.

One final note: Item 8 in your description is a bit unclear to me. You write: "Deselect via Ctrl + D. Place photo underneath the snow layer in the Layers Palette, check out the snow, and then remove the photo that was used to check out the snow ".

Which photo are you referring to and for what purpose. I saved directly after Ctr + D and it seems to work great!

Hegr

• 17. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hegr

Thanks for the additional feedback on the falling snow effect.

Regarding STEP 8 in Part 1. Creation of the Snow.psd in Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor.

At that stage of the whole task, the photo referred to is just a test photo whether you are working with the falling snow against still or video. Think of this as a preview of what they snow might look like when used in Premiere Elements against a still or video. Remember, at this stage, you are in Photoshop Elements just creating a snow.psd (snow flakes on a transparent background) for use in not just one Premiere Elements project. You do not want to leave a visible photo in the Layers Palette to be included in the Save In: Please let me know if you are OK with that detail.

As I mentioned, my focus was a way to create a falling snow effect. The snow on the ground and surroundings was not worked on until I decided to experiment with the pond and turtle video as an after thought in that regard. With a few modifications, some color might be introduced into the overall effect. But, another study for another time.

The video quality of the demo videos uploaded directly to the blog post are not the greatest. But, I think the viewer gets the overall idea of the task. An upload to YouTube to show better quality demo videos was not done at this time.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Best wishes.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: "Snow fall" in Premiere Elements 12
                                            Hegr Level 1

Appreciated.

Hegr