9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 7:13 AM by A.T. Romano

Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing

CBCElements12User

Premiere elements 12 crashes on opening and closing.   New Lenovo laptop with I7 processor and 8Gb RAM.

• 1. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows version and brand/model graphics adapter needed

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

IF your laptop has dual video, read below

Dual video problems (some for Premiere Pro, but the idea is the same)

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error---preludevideo-play-modules.html

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001579

-Use BIOS http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1019004?tstart=0

-link to why http://forums.adobe.com/message/4685328

-http://www.anandtech.com/show/4839/mobile-gpu-faceoff-amd-dynamic-switchable-graphics-vs-n vidia-optimus-technology/2

For future reference... the information you need to supply when you ask a question

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

• 2. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing
            A.T. Romano Level 7

CBCElements12User

What model Lenovo laptop are you using and what is the computer operating system, including 32 or 64 bit?

Did you have Premiere Elements 12 running OK on another computer before you installed it on this new Lenovo laptop?

Do you get any error messages associated with these crashes? If the program crashes on opening, how are you getting to closing for it to crash at that point?  What happens in between, such as, project preset, source media, etc.?

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing
              CBCElements12User Level 1

My computer is a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E431 type 6277-CTO.  I7 processor with 8GB RAM.

The display processor is Intel HD Graphics 4000.  I downloaded and installed a new driver with the same version number but a different date.  Didn’t help.

Windows 7 64 Bit.

I’m wondering if there is some incompatibility with Premiere Elements 12 and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Thanks for the help

Ron

• 4. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing

My computer is a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E431 type 6277-CTO.  I7 processor with 8GB RAM.

The display processor is Intel HD Graphics 4000.  I downloaded and installed a new driver with the same version number but a different date.  Didn’t help.

Windows 7 64 Bit.

I’m wondering if there is some incompatibility with Premiere Elements 12 and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Haven’ tried Premiere Elements 12 on another computer.

No error messages.  Just the Windows message that the program has stopped responding.  Usually when closing.

Thanks for the help

Ron

• 5. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 12 will work just fine with the Intel Graphics system.

Have you manually gone to Windows Update, selected the option to install all Microsoft Updates and then installed all updates (including those not installed automatically)?

"Brand new" computers are commonly months out of date.

Also ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements.

• 6. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing

I have installed all of the Windows updates and downloaded the latest version of Quicktime.

I have been able to edit some videos and I don’t think the program has crashed while I am working.  I am able to save the work.  It just crashes when I exit the program.  This happens even when I open the program for a new project and immediately close the program without importing any videos.

Thanks,

ron

• 7. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

You say that you can save the project.

When you go to close the project, you say it crashes. Does it crash with a message? If so, what does the message say? Can I assume that, in spite of what appears to be a crash, when you decide to close the program, the close does go through with the save?

After the project/program is closed, if you go to the Task Manager/Processes, do you still find the Premiere Elements 12 process active?

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing

When I hit the X in the upper right hand corner to close the program I get the little spinning circle indicating the program is trying to do something.  When I click again on the program window, I get an error window stating that Adobe Premiere Elements 12 is not responding.  It givse 3 options: check for a solution, close the program or wait for the program to respond.  This is the problem details:

Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        AppHangB1

Application Name:                             Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Application Version:                           12.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:                     52251824

Hang Signature:                                  2827

Hang Type:                                          0

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Hang Signature 1:           28274b0f11ed25b4cb51d233f19762db

Additional Hang Signature 2:           33cb

Additional Hang Signature 3:           33cba566967f0185e41e4060c623d622

Additional Hang Signature 4:           2827

Additional Hang Signature 5:           28274b0f11ed25b4cb51d233f19762db

Additional Hang Signature 6:           33cb

Additional Hang Signature 7:           33cba566967f0185e41e4060c623d622

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

The close does complete the save.

After closing the program with the “Close Program” option there are no Adobe processes left in the Task Manager list.

Thanks for the help!

ron

• 9. Re: Premier elements 12 crashes on opening and closing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

CBCElements12User

For the longest time I had similar problems with Premiere Elements 12 Windows.

a. It took upward of 1 to 2 minutes opening File Menu/New/Project if I wanted to do a manual set of the project preset

and

b. It took upward of 1 to 3 minutes closing the program.

c. When a and b existed, the rest of the program performed well.

I cannot pin point one fix. What to look at:

a. Right click the program's desktop icon, select Run As Administrator

b. Run the ccleaner (cleaner and registry parts) - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

other thoughts which did not seem to help my particular situation include

c. disable Start Up program

d. go with Help Menu/Sign Out to deactivate, uninstall, run the ccleaner as cited, reinstall.

This particular Premiere Elements 12 syndrome was very troublesome on both a Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8.0 and 8.1 64 bit computer. These types of problems are now gone here.

One of the plus factors in your case is that the project saves in spite of the flaw in the closing.

Please review and then we can consider what next.

Have you contacted Adobe via its Adobe Chat to discuss this issue?

Thanks.

ATR