7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 6:33 PM by skinned knuckles

APE  crashes after welcome screen

skinned knuckles

My Adobe Premiere Elements 12 crashes as soon as I try to open a new project.  Here is the error message.

Unhandled exception at 0x08A98B6 (dvacore.dll) in Adobe Premiere

Elements.exe 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001,

0x16C83FE0).

• 1. Re: APE  crashes after welcome screen
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

• 2. Re: APE  crashes after welcome screen
            skinned knuckles Level 1

I have just purchased downloaded and installed APE 12 and am trying to use it for the very first time.

I have 8GB of RAM and 200 GB free on my hard drive.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 and have a 64 bit operating system

The full error message is

Unhandled exception at 0x08A98B6 (dvacore.dll) in Adobe Premiere Elements.exe 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001, 0x16C83FE0).

When I try to run the program I get the welcome screen shown in the attached file.

2013-12-31 14_17_41-Adobe Community_ APE  crashes after welcome screen.jpg

I was not running any other software when the crash occurred.

I have tried reinstalling from the same download and from a second download.

I'll be glad to give you whatever other details you need.

• 3. Re: APE  crashes after welcome screen
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements?view=discussions and enter

dvacore.dll

in the area just under Ask a Question

You may now read all the previous discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

• 4. Re: APE  crashes after welcome screen
                skinned knuckles Level 1

I can't say if this will work for others but it worked for me.

1. Download and run Premiere Elements Pro update from the Adobe Cloud.

2. Right-click on an existing raw video file and click on "Open With" then browse to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12" and select "Adobe Premiere Elements"

3. Save As a project.

After doing this everything seemed to work fine.

• 5. Re: APE  crashes after welcome screen
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Skinned Knuckles,

Unfortunately, there is no "Adobe Premiere Elements Pro," and Premiere Elements, the program addressed in this forum, is not part of the Adobe CC (Creative Cloud). At least not through the current version, PrE is a perpetual license program, unlike the CC programs.

Hunt

• 6. Re: APE  crashes after welcome screen
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

skinned knuckles

I am at a loss to understand your post numbered 4.

I can't say if this will work for others but it worked for me.

1. Download and run Premiere Elements Pro update from the Adobe Cloud.

2. Right-click on an existing raw video file and click on "Open With" then browse to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12" and select "Adobe Premiere Elements"

3. Save As a project.

After doing this everything seemed to work fine.

Please clarify why you would "download and run Premiere Elements Pro update from the Adobe Cloud" if Premiere Elements 12 Windows is your program?

It is not clear to me why you are going the Open With route to get your video for edit into Premiere Elements 12. What is the issue using Premiere Elements 12's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your video to the Expert workspace Timeline?

Could you clarify these points on how you got from you initial thread question to "After doing this everything seemed to work fine."

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: APE  crashes after welcome screen
                      skinned knuckles Level 1

Okay I'll try to clarify.

I opened my Adobe Creative Cloud and there was a message for me.  I can't remember exactly what it said but it indicated there was a service package for me to download (it said bug fixes in small font below the title).  It was not labled Premiere Elements exactly but did have the word "Pro" somewhere in the name.  I assumed I was supposed to download it so I did and it took 20 or 30 minutes to download and install.

I've been trying to run this program for over a week now and every time I try to run it it crashes after a few seconds.  So I cannot use the Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets because the program never opens, it just crashes so I never even see the menu options or the timeline. 

I read somewhere in the forum that there is a bug in dvacore.dll that sometimes puts a double slash "//" in the default path which causes it to crash.  I thought perhaps if I loaded a file from a path other than the default path that I could get around this bug which is why I tried opening the raw video file using the "Open With" route.  When I did Premiere Elements opened properly and I was able to view the video as the cursor moved along the timeline so I assumed everything was working.  I even opened a new project which opened properly even though this had never worked before.

But now I it is crashing again whenever I try to open my previous project or start a new project or if I use the "Open With" menu options.

Please help.