• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vista .hlp struggles

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that .hlp files will not run on Vista unless you download an executable from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

My company currently uses RoboHelp for Word to create a WinHelp 4 .hlp file. Could anyone confirm that our users who are running Vista will not be able to view these .hlp files? I do not have a machine running Vista that I can check this on.

If that is true, any suggestions for the easiest way to convert these WinHelp 4 .hlp files to another format? I am on RoboHelp 7. I am completely new to help authoring and am pretty clueless at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi base2.julie

If your .HLP is the older 16 bit format, it should run with no issues on Vista. But if it's the newer 32 bit format, it will require a one time download of the Vista 32 bit WinHelp viewer in order to work.

Have you tested?

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Rick. I haven't tested, since my company doesn't have a computer running Vista.

Our .hlp is the 32 bit format, however.

I'm thinking of changing to a FlashHelp layout. Are there any drawbacks to this that I should know about? Does FlashHelp require any additional work/downloads from the end user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp