5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 4:57 AM by ConMonCS

the device has encountered an unexpected error. Installation error: application verification failed

Paul Darky Level 1

the device has encountered an unexpected error. Installation error: application verification failed

I have been receiving this message over and over again when trying to publish my iOS app for the app store (I use Flash cc AIR 3.9.1.1080 for iOS and my settings are: "device testing in interpreter mode", as my app uses several swfs).

I have done everything from scratch, as recommended on other sections of the forums: new app ID from my apple developer account, new Distribution Certificates, new Distribution Provisioning Profiles and nothing works.

I can install my app on my iPad if I use the development Certificate and Provisioning Profile and everything seems OK. But as soon as I use the Distribution Certificate and Provisioning Profile get the same message:

I have done everything from the beggining over and over and nothing works. Am I the only one having this issue on Flash cc???

• 1. Re: the device has encountered an unexpected error. Installation error: application verification failed
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

This has almost always come down to an application ID is set improperly in the app XML <id> attribute or a certificate issue (mobileprovision assigned to dev cert not dist cert, etc). The new provisioning profile should be stopping you from that however.

Are you using any services like APNS but use a wildcard app ID?

If you publish but select Ad-Hoc (dist not dev) instead of package for store, does it install on your device?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: the device has encountered an unexpected error. Installation error: application verification failed
            Paul Darky Level 1

Hi sinious. Thank you for replying. I was taking care of each aspect you point out. I was using an "Explicit App ID", I was using the proper certificate with the proper PP. I had the cert on my mac and I was exporting it with "Keychain Acces". Finally I found that I could generate and export an "iOS Distribution Signing Authorithy" on Xcode. When i did that, things worked again! Thank you.

• 4. Re: the device has encountered an unexpected error. Installation error: application verification failed
              JacquelineSebrey Level 1

I encountered this same error and what the problem is is that when you go to create the App ID through the Apple Developer website you created an iOS App ID you gave it a name and an ID. The ID per Apple's recommendation is in the format of: com.XXXX.XXX for example com.jsebrey.demo.

So, in Flash in the AIR for iOS settings underneath the Provisioning Profile is App ID and if you don't put anything in there by default the name of your Flash file will be put in there. If you are getting the error when publishing using AIR for iOS you need to change the App ID from the default to the App ID you created on the Apple Developer website and my example is: com.jsebrey.demo.

If this App ID does not match the App ID you created at the Apple Developer website you will get the error: "iPad: The device has encountered an unexpected error. Installation Error: ApplicationVerificationFailed".

It's a simple easy fix and does not require going through Xcode in any way. Just make sure that the App ID in the Publish Settings matches the App ID you created through Apple's Developer website.

I hope this helps others who are getting this error as well. I've encountered it a couple of times and I finally realized what the error was and as soon as I did and I made the necessary changes and Published again, everything worked. No problems.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: the device has encountered an unexpected error. Installation error: application verification failed
                ConMonCS

On my side the solution was to move the project to a new clean Workspace.

I'm using Flash Builder 4.7 and AIR 19 for building (although at the time of the writing AIR 20 is available, AIR 19 is used due to wider coverage on both iOS and Android versions)

The weird thing is that in the original Workspace the compiling of the final release build worked like a charm. The issues were poping-up while trying to build the debug version. In that case the process run smoothly until it came to the moment of installing the app on the device. At that point the ApplicationVerificationFailed was triggered without no clue of why that was happening. The result was a compiled app, but no way of actually debugging it.

Although there is here an article about the iOS issues: Troubleshooting common Adobe AIR installation errors with iOS applications it was of no help to me.

This error seems to pop-up randomly (which makes it very annoying).

Hope my solution will help you save some time while developing and trying to debug iOS apps.