28 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2010 6:54 PM by Jim_Babbage

Why so few books on Fw?

Paevo Kelley Level 2
      While I am looking forward to Jim Babbage's upcoming book on Fw, I have to admit that it is curious there are not more books on this application. Is Fw just so "intuitive" that there is no need felt by the community to elucidate its graphics capabilities? I would love to come accross a book that emphasized its differences with Ps and its web-specific design proclivities...
        • 1. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
          Level 7
          Paevo Kelley wrote:
          > While I am looking forward to Jim Babbage's upcoming book on Fw, I have to
          > admit that it is curious there are not more books on this application. Is Fw
          > just so "intuitive" that there is no need felt by the community to elucidate
          > its graphics capabilities? I would love to come accross a book that emphasized
          > its differences with Ps and its web-specific design proclivities...

The problem is getting book publishers interested in books about
          Fireworks. There just isn't a big enough market for them.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
            Level 7
            Where can I find information on this book? I checked Amazon, but there
            are no details other than the title.

--
            Alec
            Adobe Community Expert
            • 3. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
              Level 7
              what about as e-books then or is there too much concern of pirating?

Alec Fehl wrote:
              > Where can I find information on this book? I checked Amazon, but there
              > are no details other than the title.
              >
              • 4. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                Paevo Kelley Level 2
                What I don't get is why Adobe retained Fireworks in CS3, yet didn't bother to publish an official "Classroom in a Book" dedicated to the application, as they did for Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. While pricey, I like to do the exercises in these books...
                • 5. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                  Level 7
                  Paevo Kelley wrote:
                  > What I don't get is why Adobe retained Fireworks in CS3, yet didn't bother to
                  > publish an official "Classroom in a Book" dedicated to the application, as they
                  > did for Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. While pricey, I like to do the exercises
                  > in these books...

Not Classroom in a book, but published by Adobe Press

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Fireworks-CS3-How-Tos-Techniques/dp/0321526309/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1 ?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197567574&sr=1-1.

--
                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                  • 6. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                    pixlor Level 4
                    Wow. I just checked the Amazon page for this book. It shows an expected publication date of December, 2009?!?!

• 7. Why so few books on Fw?
                      ThomasBenner
                      Hello Paevo

I have encountered the same problem and I will tell you how I have solved it. For several years I have taught a recurring 3 month class on Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash, Acrobat Pro and Premiere Pro in which I spend 2-3 weeks on Fireworks.

I have looked at the books for Fireworks 8 and CS3 and am extremely disappointed. What happened is that when Adobe announced that it was buying Macromedia, the "common wisdom" among the "experts" was that Fireworks would be discontinued. At that time all interest in developing good training materials for Fireworks seems to have evaporated. Since then, Adobe has (unfortunately, in my opinion) been promoting Fireworks as a "web prototyping" tool and seemingly ignoring its great vector, bitmap and Javascript capabilitites. I spoke to Terry White (CS3 product manager) and the Fireworks product manager when they were in town promoting CS3 and they both seemed pretty ignorant of Firework's capabilities but were very agreeable with my points. Hopefully, Adobe will promote Fireworks for more than "web prototyping". By the way, I teach Dreamweaver and Flash and for web developers, Fireworks has many great uses (pop-up menus, buttons, other Javascript behaviors, etc.) but this type of "web prototyping" is never part of their workflow.

A little more history..... at South by South West here in Austin this year I spent a great deal of time with Peachpit, O'Reilly and Friends of Ed.... all major book publishers of the type of computer book you are looking for and discussed this very thing. Contrary, to what someone has "answered" in this forum post, all three would really like to get a decent Fireworks book out and they are also confused by Adobe's emphasis on Fireworks as a web prototyper..... we will see what happens. I have also been in email communication with authors of previous Fireworks books that were useful, but they have all moved on to other areas of interest.

I recommend these three books as excellent resources. They were written for older versions of Fireworks, but very little has changed in the interface and it is easy to use them with newer versions of Fireworks. Plenty of these books seem to be available over the internet still.

1.) Fireworks MX 2004, From Zero to Hero by Joyce Evans and Charles Brown
                      2.) Macromedia Naked Fireworks MX 2004 by Barbara Waxer
                      3.) Playing with Fire, Tapping the Power of Fireworks 4 by Linda Rathgeber and David Nicholls

All of the newer books on Fireworks seem to omit over half of the tools and capabilitites of Fireworks and I would not recommend them. The new book by Tom Babbage looks promising.

You expressed an interest in using Fireworks in web development. Fireworks can do so much more than prototyping. As far as integrating Fireworks, Dreamweaver and Flash, I have found the following useful:

1.) Macromedia Studio 8 Training from the Source
                      2.) Lynda.com online class on "Studio 8 Web Workflow" by Abigail Rudner

All of the above are my opinions based on my experience over several years in trying to develop my Fireworks curricula for my students. Your mileage may vary. My web site has an Adobe blog with good Fireworks resources on the internet listed. You may find it useful. http://www.masteradobe.com

hope this helps,
                      Thomas

http://www.masteradobe.com

p.s. I see Linda Rathgeber on this forum. Linda, I love your book "Playing with Fire" and use it as a "recipe book" in my classes. Any chances of you doing another book?
                      • 8. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                        Level 7
                        MACinTUTOR wrote:
                        > Hello Paevo
                        >
                        > I have encountered the same problem and I will tell you how I have solved it.
                        > For several years I have taught a recurring 3 month class on Photoshop,
                        > Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash, Acrobat Pro and Premiere Pro in
                        > which I spend 2-3 weeks on Fireworks.
                        >
                        > I have looked at the books for Fireworks 8 and CS3 and am extremely
                        > disappointed. What happened is that when Adobe announced that it was buying
                        > Macromedia, the "common wisdom" among the "experts" was that Fireworks would be
                        > discontinued. At that time all interest in developing good training materials
                        > for Fireworks seems to have evaporated. Since then, Adobe has (unfortunately,
                        > in my opinion) been promoting Fireworks as a "web prototyping" tool and
                        > seemingly ignoring its great vector, bitmap and Javascript capabilitites. I
                        > spoke to Terry White (CS3 product manager) and the Fireworks product manager
                        > when they were in town promoting CS3 and they both seemed pretty ignorant of
                        > Firework's capabilities but were very agreeable with my points. Hopefully,
                        > Adobe will promote Fireworks for more than "web prototyping". By the way, I
                        > teach Dreamweaver and Flash and for web developers, Fireworks has many great
                        > uses (pop-up menus, buttons, other Javascript behaviors, etc.) but this type of
                        > "web prototyping" is never part of their workflow.
                        >
                        > A little more history..... at South by South West here in Austin this year I
                        > spent a great deal of time with Peachpit, O'Reilly and Friends of Ed.... all
                        > major book publishers of the type of computer book you are looking for and
                        > discussed this very thing. Contrary, to what someone has "answered" in this
                        > forum post, all three would really like to get a decent Fireworks book out and
                        > they are also confused by Adobe's emphasis on Fireworks as a web
                        > prototyper..... we will see what happens. I have also been in email
                        > communication with authors of previous Fireworks books that were useful, but
                        > they have all moved on to other areas of interest.
                        >
                        > I recommend these three books as excellent resources. They were written for
                        > older versions of Fireworks, but very little has changed in the interface and
                        > it is easy to use them with newer versions of Fireworks. Plenty of these books
                        > seem to be available over the internet still.
                        >
                        > 1.) Fireworks MX 2004, From Zero to Hero by Joyce Evans and Charles Brown
                        > 2.) Macromedia Naked Fireworks MX 2004 by Barbara Waxer
                        > 3.) Playing with Fire, Tapping the Power of Fireworks 4 by Linda Rathgeber
                        > and David Nicholls
                        >
                        > All of the newer books on Fireworks seem to omit over half of the tools and
                        > capabilitites of Fireworks and I would not recommend them. The new book by Tom
                        > Babbage looks promising.
                        >
                        > All of the above are my opinions based on my experience over several years in
                        > trying to develop my Fireworks curricula for my students. Your mileage may
                        > vary. My web site has an Adobe blog with good Fireworks resources on the
                        > internet listed. You may find it useful. http://www.masteradobe.com
                        >
                        > hope this helps,
                        > Thomas
                        >
                        > http://www.masteradobe.com
                        >

>>The new book by Tom Babbage looks promising.<<

FYI, it's Jim, not Tom. But thanks for the plug all the same! :-)
                        --
                        Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                        http://www.communityMX.com/
                        CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                        http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                        ---
                        .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                        ---
                        See my work on Flickr
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                        • 9. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                          Level 7
                          MACinTUTOR wrote:
                          > Hello Paevo
                          >
                          > I have encountered the same problem and I will tell you how I have solved it.
                          > For several years I have taught a recurring 3 month class on Photoshop,
                          > Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash, Acrobat Pro and Premiere Pro in
                          > which I spend 2-3 weeks on Fireworks.
                          >
                          > I have looked at the books for Fireworks 8 and CS3 and am extremely
                          > disappointed. What happened is that when Adobe announced that it was buying
                          > Macromedia, the "common wisdom" among the "experts" was that Fireworks would be
                          > discontinued. At that time all interest in developing good training materials
                          > for Fireworks seems to have evaporated. Since then, Adobe has (unfortunately,
                          > in my opinion) been promoting Fireworks as a "web prototyping" tool and
                          > seemingly ignoring its great vector, bitmap and Javascript capabilitites. I
                          > spoke to Terry White (CS3 product manager) and the Fireworks product manager
                          > when they were in town promoting CS3 and they both seemed pretty ignorant of
                          > Firework's capabilities but were very agreeable with my points. Hopefully,
                          > Adobe will promote Fireworks for more than "web prototyping". By the way, I
                          > teach Dreamweaver and Flash and for web developers, Fireworks has many great
                          > uses (pop-up menus, buttons, other Javascript behaviors, etc.) but this type of
                          > "web prototyping" is never part of their workflow.
                          >
                          > A little more history..... at South by South West here in Austin this year I
                          > spent a great deal of time with Peachpit, O'Reilly and Friends of Ed.... all
                          > major book publishers of the type of computer book you are looking for and
                          > discussed this very thing. Contrary, to what someone has "answered" in this
                          > forum post, all three would really like to get a decent Fireworks book out and
                          > they are also confused by Adobe's emphasis on Fireworks as a web
                          > prototyper..... we will see what happens. I have also been in email
                          > communication with authors of previous Fireworks books that were useful, but
                          > they have all moved on to other areas of interest.
                          >
                          > I recommend these three books as excellent resources. They were written for
                          > older versions of Fireworks, but very little has changed in the interface and
                          > it is easy to use them with newer versions of Fireworks. Plenty of these books
                          > seem to be available over the internet still.
                          >
                          > 1.) Fireworks MX 2004, From Zero to Hero by Joyce Evans and Charles Brown
                          > 2.) Macromedia Naked Fireworks MX 2004 by Barbara Waxer
                          > 3.) Playing with Fire, Tapping the Power of Fireworks 4 by Linda Rathgeber
                          > and David Nicholls
                          >
                          > All of the newer books on Fireworks seem to omit over half of the tools and
                          > capabilitites of Fireworks and I would not recommend them. The new book by Tom
                          > Babbage looks promising.
                          >
                          > All of the above are my opinions based on my experience over several years in
                          > trying to develop my Fireworks curricula for my students. Your mileage may
                          > vary. My web site has an Adobe blog with good Fireworks resources on the
                          > internet listed. You may find it useful. http://www.masteradobe.com
                          >
                          > hope this helps,
                          > Thomas
                          >
                          > http://www.masteradobe.com
                          >
                          Out of curiosity, what tools do you feel are being overlooked?

--
                          ---
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ---
                          See my work on Flickr
                          • 10. Why so few books on Fw?
                            SiamJai
                            quote:

I'm looking forward to your book too, Jim! :-)

Interestingly, on the Amazon listing of your book, I see Joseph Lowery's name on the cover photo. I have the excellent Dreamweaver Bible by Lowery, and I understand that he authored a Fireworks book before as well. Are you guys co-authors on this one?

quote:

Hopefully, Adobe will promote Fireworks for more than "web prototyping".
                            While I'm not familiar enough with Adobe's entire CS3 lineup to comment on their marketing strategy, I do agree that Fireworks can be utilized for much more than just webdesign and prototyping. UI design, image processing and diagram design are some tasks for which I use Fireworks more often than for web prototyping.

~~~~
                            http://design.thaiwonders.com - Innovative Fireworks & Game Art Community
                            • 11. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                              pixlor Level 4
                              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

Jim...I can't find any place to buy this book...is it out? Is it out sold out? Is it out of print already? Amazon estimates to have it December 2009 and I cant' find it at Peachpit (Google tantalizes) or the Adobe store.

• 12. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                Paevo Kelley Level 2
                                quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor
                                quote:

Jim...I can't find any place to buy this book...is it out? Is it out sold out? Is it out of print already? Amazon estimates to have it December 2009 and I cant' find it at Peachpit (Google tantalizes) or the Adobe store.

• 13. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                  Paevo Kelley Level 2
                                  By then it will be obsolete...
                                  • 14. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                    Level 7
                                    pixlor wrote:
                                    >
                                    quote:

> >>The new book by Tom Babbage looks promising.<<
                                    >
                                    > FYI, it's Jim, not Tom. But thanks for the plug all the same! :-)
                                    >

> Jim...I can't find any place to buy this book...is it out? Is it out sold out?
                                    > Is it out of print already? Amazon estimates to have it December 2009 and I
                                    > cant' find it at Peachpit (Google tantalizes) or the Adobe store.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >

Wow I don't know where you're finding the title! lol I just checked and
                                    it is not showing up when I do a search. At this point,I can't say much
                                    except I'm working with Peach Pit on some very exciting projects.

I do have quite a few tutorials on Community MX that deal specifically
                                    with Fireworks CS3. The link below points to both free and commercial
                                    articles and tutorials.

http://tinyurl.com/4z88gz

Also on the April issue of Adobe Edge, I have an article on creating
                                    interactive click through's using FW CS3

http://tinyurl.com/34zt72

--
                                    ---
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ---
                                    See my work on Flickr
                                    • 15. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                      pixlor Level 4
                                      Linda linked to it on Amazon. *points up the page* And if I do a Google search, I can see it listed on lots of places, just not in stock.

beautiful, complex Google search :P
                                      • 16. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                        ThomasBenner Level 1
                                        Jim,

I apologize for the mistake on your name. There is no good excuse for mistaking a person's name and I ask your forgiveness. I have come across your work before and have been excited about your new book.

I just read the following in the book description for your new book:

"Designed for developing Web site prototypes, Fireworks lets Web designers go from scribbled concept to online framework. Fireworks CS3 has been given new life, so new in fact that a whole new generation of Web designers needs to become acquainted with it."

Fireworks designed for web site prototyping?!******* That sounds like it came straight out of Adobe's CS3 Tour presentation of Fireworks. I am saddened by this treatment of Fireworks, especially as "a whole new generation of Web designers" are not being told of many of this program's great capabilities. That's just wrong! I do not believe Fireworks' Bitmap and Vector capabilities are a threat to Photoshop or Illustrator (each program has its own uses). The unique "web layer" in Fireworks' PNGs with Javascript behaviors, etc. is wonderful and far superior to similar offerings in Dreamweaver. The numerous blend modes (way more than those in Photoshop) offer so many design possibilities....Ok I could go on and on. I trust you get the point.

I really don't have anything against web prototyping..... for those who require it, it is useful. I am just extremely saddened by the lack of attention given to Fireworks' many great features.

As to your question on what is missing in the new books, my first response would be "Duh!: :-) The answer to your question seems quite obvious..... or maybe it's just obvious to me because I spend so much of my life teaching Fireworks. Just compare the books I mentioned (table of contents, tutorials, exercises, etc with the new books. There are a whole slew of features and capabilities that are not being taught or mentioned in the new books I've seen (out of respect to authors and publishers, some of whom I know, I am not naming names).

Anyway, my hopes are up for your new book and trust it will have many "How-to's" as well as practical wisdom on "Why use this feature". For my class textbooks, I prefer practical "recipe" books over lengthy "manual-type" books. If your book can serve as a textbook, that would certainly be great for me and other Fireworks instructors. I also trust the above quote in the description of your book does not mean this is another book on "web prototyping".

I say let web developers and designers figure out the workflow that works best for them and their clients and let companies like Adobe respond to those desires and needs as best as they are able. Otherwise, I feel like I am being fed "propaganda" and being told what I need and want.

cheers,
                                        Thomas

http://www.masteradobe.com
                                        • 17. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                          Level 7
                                          Adobe_Teacher wrote:
                                          > Jim,

>
                                          > As to your question on what is missing in the new books, my first response
                                          > would be "Duh!: :-) The answer to your question seems quite obvious..... or
                                          > maybe it's just obvious to me because I spend so much of my life teaching
                                          > Fireworks. Just compare the books I mentioned (table of contents, tutorials,
                                          > exercises, etc with the new books. There are a whole slew of features and
                                          > capabilities that are not being taught or mentioned in the new books I've seen
                                          > (out of respect to authors and publishers, some of whom I know, I am not naming
                                          > names).

I simply asked because there have been no books on FW in quite some
                                          time. Not since MX 04, as far as I know and I was honestly interested in
                                          YOUR opinion. As I said previously, I can't say more than I am excited
                                          about the project.

Thanks for your comments, though! :-)
                                          --
                                          ---
                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                          ---
                                          See my work on Flickr
                                          • 18. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                            Level 7
                                            If you have a look at the titles I've written for FW on the Community MX
                                            web site, you'll see I have a great appreciation for Fireworks as a
                                            whole. It's the only app I use when working on screen graphics.

http://tinyurl.com/6yxo63

--
                                            ---
                                            Adobe Community Expert
                                            ---
                                            See my work on Flickr
                                            • 19. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                              ThomasBenner Level 1
                                              Jim,

I sent you an email with the title of a Fireworks 8 book that is at hand on my desk.

I don't want to mention it in the forums as I have been disappointed with it and didn't want to criticize anyone in the forums.

Your obvious commitment to Fireworks gives me hope for a great book from you. I have also been asked to write a Fireworks book and may do so in the future. I would write a text book for courses on Fireworks based on my teaching notes over the years.

I wish you all the best with your book and thank you for all you have done for the Fireworks community.

regards,
                                              Thomas
                                              • 20. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                chicco0278
                                                I wish there were more in Italian as well.

I do not understand why publishers are so blind and do not see the value of Fireworks.

Francesco

Guadagnare col web Pilates attrezzi Acne Viso marketing articoli
                                                • 21. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                  guadagnare online 2

You are absolutely right: there are not so many in italian. Why?

We are really blind. I hope things will change sooner or later.

guadagnare online

• 22. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                    Linda Nicholls Level 4

This post is in response to a very old one, but I wanted to clarify a couple of things. I have no plans to write another Fireworks book unless tech book publishers have begun paying authors well enough to make writing them worthwhile. I may do another eBook someday.  Second, I'm no longer Linda Rathgeber. She married her Playing with Fire co-author, David Nicholls, in April 2009.  :-)

• 23. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                      Fiona Hayward Level 1

Congratulations!

Regards

Fiona Hayward

• 24. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                        daaave

you could always write a book on marriage called playing with fire

• 25. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Now there's a thought. :-)

• 26. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                            Linda Nicholls Level 4

Thanks Fiona. :-)

• 27. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                              JoyceEvans Level 3

I'll second that! I almiost did a new version of Fireworks Zero to Hero CS3. Got real close then decided not to. The pay stinks but I love doing it, just not enough time. Maybe this year :-) Last year was a wild one for me. My husband was diagnosed with stage IV sarcoma cancer. He is now cancer free (as of April 2010) without chemo!

• 28. Re: Why so few books on Fw?
                                                                Jim_Babbage Level 4

I'm happy to say my book, Fireworks CS5 Classroom in a Book will be out in about a month. It will be a good book for those new to Fireworks and  also covers topics like wireframing, FXG 2.0 and Device Central integration. I've tried to include more information about the integration, export and import  options for Photoshop too.

Jim Babbage