14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 2:19 PM by Steve Grisetti

Project settings iPhone 5

esmeeschram

I made my films with an iPhone 5 and edit in PE10. Which project settings (PAL) can I use the best?

• 1. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Open a sample of your video in G Spot or MediaInfo and post the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs that it lists.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Also, be sure your computer includes the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements.

• 2. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
            esmeeschram Level 1

I can't open G Spot. Is there another way?

• 3. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure why G-Spot is not working for you, but Steve's other suggestion is MediaInfo: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Just make sure that you watch the installation process, so that it does not install any browser toolbars, or other "stuff."

Also, many phone cameras shoot variable FPS, and that can cause issues too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                A.T. Romano Level 7

esmeeschram

Although a gspot or MediaInfo video audio properties readout would be supplemental and confirmatory, we probably have all the information needed by Googling for the video audio properties of the iPhone 5 (Apple) camera.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP655

I am 99.999999% certain that you have H.264 video compression, AAC audio, and either a .mov or .mp4 file extension. The important part of the information is the 1080p and a variable frame rate (not sure if the stated frame rate is 30 or 25.).

But, the following would be my answer to your question....

If you have H.264.mov or H.264.mp4 @ stated 25 progressive frames per second, then the Premiere Elements 10 project preset should be

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

If you have H.264.mov or H.264.mp4 @ stated 30 progressive frames per second, then the Premiere Elements 10 project preset

should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Render the Timeline, if necessary, once you drag the file to the Timeline. (If you have the correct project preset, no rendering possible or available because you already have the best preview.) If you encounter out of sync audio using the correct project preset, then you will forced to explore taking the iPhone video through QuickTime Pro or Handbrake to achieve a non variable frame rate before importing the file into Premiere Elements 10.

I have looked at iPhone 5 video in Premiere Elements with the appropriate project preset, and it has worked fine.

Please review and let us know if any of the information above worked for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I am using the modifier "stated frame rate" to distinguish it from the minimum and maximu frame rates that would be shown along with the "stated frame rate".

• 5. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                  esmeeschram Level 1

Thanks for all your answers. When I import the media files (photo and video), by some videos I got: The importer reported a generic error.

I can import some videos, but by others I can't

Do you know why some of the videos I can't import?

• 6. Re: Project settings iPhone 5

If you'd post your MediaInfo data, we'd be able to give you specific answers.

But ATR is right. The DSLR 24p video project presets will work for most iPod/iPad/iPhone video (assuming you've got the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer and you're opening MOV files). Though it's hard to say which specific project preset you need without your video data.

• 7. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

esmeeschram

Thanks for the reply.

If the video has the MXF format, that is a problem for Premiere Elements. So, to answer your question

Do you know why some of the videos I can't import?

then we need to know...

a. are you dealing with MXF format in any of the videos.

b. are the failures only in the footage from the Canon....if some of the Canon footage imports while some does not, is all the footage shot at the same Canon setting?

c. are any of the failures to import involved with the cell phone footage?

The key is to select the project preset that matches the properties of the source media. Have you been doing that? And, if you have mixed formats, which project preset have you been favoring as the choice?

ATR

• 8. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

esmeeschram

I did not see SG's post until after I had posted mine.

He brings up an excellent point with regard to the question that you asked me.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? That is not going to change the MXF situation if it exists, but it will others formats.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                          esmeeschram Level 1

I got this back from MediaInfo:

Algemeen

Complete name                            : G:\Montage\Londen 2013\Bestanden iPhone\IMG_0022.MOV

Format                                   : MPEG-4

Format profile                           : QuickTime

Codec ID                                 : qt 

File size                                : 30,5 MiB

Duration                                 : 24s 368ms

Overall bit rate                         : 10,5 Mbps

Recorded date                            : 2013-12-21T16:07:33+0100

Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-12-21 15:07:33

Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-01-01 16:30:51

Writing application                      : 7.0.4

Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime

Model                                    : iPhone 5

©xyz                                     : +51.5078-000.0741-004.209/

Make                                     : Apple

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : Baseline@L3.1

Format settings, CABAC                   : Nee

Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame

Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                                 : 24s 368ms

Source duration                          : 24s 390ms

Bit rate                                 : 10,4 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 280 pixels

Height                                   : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Rotation                                 : 180°

Frame rate mode                          : Variabel

Frame rate                               : 29,970 fps

Minimum frame rate                       : 28,571 fps

Maximum frame rate                       : 30,000 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressief

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.377

Stream size                              : 30,3 MiB (99%)

Source stream size                       : 30,3 MiB (99%)

Title                                    : Core Media Video

Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-21 15:07:45

colour_primaries                         : BT.709

transfer_characteristics                 : BT.709

matrix_coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio

ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : AAC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile                           : LC

Codec ID                                 : 40

Duration                                 : 24s 367ms

Source duration                          : 24s 404ms

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 64,0 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 1 kanaal

Channel positions                        : Front: C

Sampling rate                            : 44,1 KHz

Stream size                              : 187 KiB (1%)

Source stream size                       : 187 KiB (1%)

Title                                    : Core Media Audio

Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-21 15:07:45

• 10. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                            esmeeschram Level 1

This is the information from the movie clip I can't open in Adobe Premiere Elements. Or do you want the information from a file I can open?

• 11. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That additional info might be useful too.

I see that in the problematic file(s), the FPS (Frames Per Second) is Variable, and that can cause issues. I would anticipate that the files, which do not cause an issue, the FPS will be fixed, say 30 FPS.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                                esmeeschram Level 1

And is it possible to get the problematic files which are variable transfer/convert to a fixed FPS?

• 13. Re: Project settings iPhone 5
                                  esmeeschram Level 1

I also put a video clip which is working in MediaInfo and got this data:

General

Complete name                            : G:\Montage\Londen 2013\Bestanden iPhone\IMG_0003.MOV

Format                                   : MPEG-4

Format profile                           : QuickTime

Codec ID                                 : qt 

File size                                : 39.1 MiB

Duration                                 : 22s 442ms

Overall bit rate                         : 14.6 Mbps

Recorded date                            : 2013-12-21T15:34:56+0100

Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-12-21 14:34:57

Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-01-01 16:30:47

Writing application                      : 7.0.4

Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime

Model                                    : iPhone 5

©xyz                                     : +51.5076-000.0781+000.146/

Make                                     : Apple

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame

Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                                 : 22s 442ms

Source duration                          : 22s 453ms

Bit rate                                 : 14.5 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Variable

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Minimum frame rate                       : 28.571 fps

Maximum frame rate                       : 30.000 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.234

Stream size                              : 38.9 MiB (99%)

Source stream size                       : 38.9 MiB (99%)

Title                                    : Core Media Video

Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-21 14:35:09

Color primaries                          : BT.709

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio

ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : AAC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile                           : LC

Codec ID                                 : 40

Duration                                 : 22s 440ms

Source duration                          : 22s 477ms

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 64.0 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 1 channel

Channel positions                        : Front: C

Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 172 KiB (0%)

Source stream size                       : 173 KiB (0%)

Title                                    : Core Media Audio

Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-21 14:35:09

Also VARIABLE?

• 14. Re: Project settings iPhone 5

Assuming you've got the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer (you still haven't said), you should be able to work with this video is you start a project with these project settings:

DSLR/720p/DSLR 720p24