7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 4:07 PM by Erik Nebel

posting artwork online

Erik Nebel

hi,

how can i preserve the quality of my artwork when i save a tiff file as a gif file and post it online on tumblr? currently, the black lines become fuzzy grey lines.

for some reason, the pixels that are sharply defining the black lines in my tiff file are initially preserved when i save it as a gif file. the gif file looks fine when i hit "preview" on tumblr. it's only when i hit "publish" on tumblr that the black lines suddenly change to fuzzy grey lines.

the grey lines are more noticeable when viewed on my Macbook with retina display, and less noticeable when viewed on my old PC.

• 1. Re: posting artwork online
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I do not know what Tumblr can use, but I would suggest looking into doing a Save_As to PNG. Most sites can handle PNG, and it will yield better results, than GIF. Check for all allowable formats, sizes, etc. on the Tumblr Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: posting artwork online
            Erik Nebel Level 1

Thanks, Bill!

I took your advice just now and saved a file as a PNG. when i look at the "preview" of the PNG file on tumblr, it comes out without the fuzzy grey, so that's good. but the black lines are far more "pixelly" looking than they were in tiff. i may have to play around with the settings to see if i can get it to look less pixelly in PNG.

here's the tumblr, in case that helps to show what i was talking about in regards to the fuzzy grey lines:

eriknebel.tumblr.com

(the GIF files i was talking about are from posts from the past couple days.)

• 3. Re: posting artwork online
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Here again, I don't use tumblr, but flickr wreaks havok with your pictures when compressing your uploads.  It is worse still with the range of downsized versions it produces, which leaves you with a dilema...  Do I upload a decent size so people can see it full screen, or at the default display size to minimise the damage flickr does when downsizing?

The best answer I can think of is to design with the end result in mind.  Even if that means two versions - one for upload with stronger lines, and a finer version for print or selling on at high res.

• 4. Re: posting artwork online
                Erik Nebel Level 1

Thanks, Dennis! i think it is a good idea to create two versions.

i wonder if the problem i'm having with the GIF file has to do with some sort of default setting that makes my lines "anit-aliased", whereas i need "aliased" lines.

• 5. Re: posting artwork online

Erik Nebel wrote:

i wonder if the problem i'm having with the GIF file has to do with some sort of default setting that makes my lines "anit-aliased", whereas i need "aliased" lines.

That's a very good point, and something that trips me up sometimes when working with thin lines.  Just copying the layer and setting to Multiply will make the lines heavier.  Painting with a black or white brush with the brush mode set to Overlay is another way to thicken or thin out lineart.

• 6. Re: posting artwork online

Incidentally, having been paying for a full CC subscription since it became available (I got it mostly for Photoshop and the video apps) I am currently learning Illustrator for the first time, and I am loving it.  The UI is a wee bit clunky compared to PS, but it sure does nice line art.

• 7. Re: posting artwork online
                      Erik Nebel Level 1

i have CC, too, so it might be a good idea for me to learn to draw with illustrator! for sure i wouldn't have trouble with line art there.