32 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2008 8:27 PM by lfirth

File Association and FW CS3

Level 1
      I have tried to associate .jpg files and .gif files with FW CS3, and my Windows XP Pro will not do it. It only recognizes Fireworks 8 .... even though I use the browse button in the File Types window and browse to Adobe Fireworks CS3. I have tried this through the Control Panel and the Files Types tab, and by right-clicking on a .jpg and selecting Open With and then browsing to FW CS3.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled FW CS3 hoping that would help. Still not working.

I'd love to be able to right-click on a .jpg file and open it with FW CS3 like I have been able to do with all my versions of FW going back to FW3.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

• 1. Re: File Association and FW CS3
          Level 7
          Marje,

Open up an Explorer window, go into Tools > File Types, arrow down until
          you find the extension, delete it and recreate it again. Look at a
          similar extension to see how the parameters are setup.

alex

Marje wrote:
          > I have tried to associate .jpg files and .gif files with FW CS3, and my Windows
          > XP Pro will not do it. It only recognizes Fireworks 8 .... even though I use
          > the browse button in the File Types window and browse to Adobe Fireworks CS3. I
          > have tried this through the Control Panel and the Files Types tab, and by
          > right-clicking on a .jpg and selecting Open With and then browsing to FW CS3.
          >
          > I also uninstalled and reinstalled FW CS3 hoping that would help. Still not
          > working.
          >
          > I'd love to be able to right-click on a .jpg file and open it with FW CS3 like
          > I have been able to do with all my versions of FW going back to FW3.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
          >
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: File Association and FW CS3
            Level 1
            Thanks, Alex ... that was the solution.

• 3. Re: File Association and FW CS3
              LadyDakota Level 1
              I'm having the same problem but I can't use your solution since the Delete option isn't available when I click on JPG. Is there a setting I must change to give me permission to delete the file type so I can then Add it with the correct association?
              • 4. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                Level 7
                what version of Windows ?

LadyDakota wrote:
                > I'm having the same problem but I can't use your solution since the Delete
                > option isn't available when I click on JPG. Is there a setting I must change to
                > give me permission to delete the file type so I can then Add it with the
                > correct association?
                >
                • 5. File Association and FW CS3
                  LadyDakota Level 1
                  LadyDakota wrote:
                  > I'm having the same problem but I can't use your solution since the Delete
                  > option isn't available when I click on JPG. Is there a setting I must change to
                  > give me permission to delete the file type so I can then Add it with the
                  > correct association?

Windows XP Professional
                  • 6. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                    LadyDakota Level 1
                    XP Pro (sorry for the omission)

Jan
                    • 7. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                      suemz Level 1
                      Has anyone figured out the solution to this? I can delete the file association as suggested, but whenever it is created again, it forces a default to the windows image viewer and refuses to list fireworks cs3 as an option. I am using windows xp -- not pro.
                      • 8. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                        Level 7
                        suemz wrote:
                        > Has anyone figured out the solution to this? I can delete the file association
                        > as suggested, but whenever it is created again, it forces a default to the
                        > windows image viewer and refuses to list fireworks cs3 as an option. I am
                        > using windows xp -- not pro.
                        >
                        I put together a small demo movie of what to do if Fireworks is not
                        listed in the 'open with' options.

http://tinyurl.com/2uzzxq

I hope this helps........

SKB
                        • 9. File Association and FW CS3
                          LadyDakota Level 1
                          I had already taken those steps prior to posting. It did not work and still doesn't. Now there's some good news...

Out of frustration, I clicked the RESTORE button and it changed to an ADVANCED button. I clicked this button and used Browse.. function in the Advanced window to select Adobe Fireworks. It appears to have done the job. Somewhere along the line Windows XP updates must have changed this file association. Sure hope one of these days, MS stops making decisions (and poor ones at that) for us!!!
                          Thanks all.
                          • 10. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                            Level 7
                            LadyDakota wrote:
                            > I had already taken those steps prior to posting. It did not work and still
                            > doesn't. Now there's some good news...
                            >
                            > Out of frustration, I clicked the RESTORE button and it changed to an ADVANCED
                            > button. I clicked this button and used Browse.. to select Adobe Fireworks. It
                            > appears to have done the job. Somewhere along the line Windows XP updates must
                            > have changed this file association. Sure hope one of these days, MS stops
                            > making decisions (and poor ones at that) for us!!!
                            > Thanks all.
                            >
                            If the Advanced button was not there, it means at some point, Windows
                            was told to 'Always use this program to open this kind of file'. It's a
                            little check box in the lower part of the screen where you browse and
                            select the program. It's checked by default but, isn't very obvious.

SKB
                            • 11. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                              glowproducts.com Level 1

Any solutions for Vista (home premium) users. None of the suggestions have helped?
                              • 12. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                korviz Level 1
                                I am also looking to fix my jpg association problem. I am running vista ultimate 64 bit, and i am using fireworks cs4. When i select a jpg and click "open with", It will not give me the option to choose fireworks cs4, even when i browse and select the .exe file It still wont give the option to use it.

Any thoughts?
                                • 13. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                  Level 7
                                  korviz wrote:
                                  > I am also looking to fix my jpg association problem. I am running vista
                                  > ultimate 64 bit, and i am using fireworks cs4. When i select a jpg and click
                                  > "open with", It will not give me the option to choose fireworks cs4, even when
                                  > i browse and select the .exe file It still wont give the option to use it.

Do you get the option to choose the default program?

--
                                  Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
                                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                                  • 14. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                    korviz Level 1
                                    There is no option to select a "default" program or operation. I can open my jpgs and png's with any program i want BESIDES FIREWORKS CS4. The only way to open these files is going through fireworks cs4 and choosing "open file" and browsing for the file. This is fine, but it takes so much longer than using the "open with" feature.
                                    • 15. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                      korviz Level 1
                                      quote:

Originally posted by: korviz
                                      There is no option to select a "default" program or operation. I can open my jpgs and png's with any program i want BESIDES FIREWORKS CS4. The only way to open these files is going through fireworks cs4 and choosing "open file" and browsing for the file. This is fine, but it takes so much longer than using the "open with" feature.

I just wanted to add, all "fireworks png's" will automatically open with fireworks cs4, but flattened png's and jpg's will not.
                                      • 16. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                        lazyriver Level 1
                                        I am having the same problem using Windows Vista. I have also tried usign all of the normal route to assciate jpg files. You can browse to the CS3 exe file but it will not save it as the associated program. You can associate it with Dreamweaver CS3, Flash CS3 & all the other Adobe programs EXCEPT FW CS3.
                                        • 17. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                          SiamJai Level 2
                                          quote:

Originally posted by: korviz
                                          The only way to open these files is going through fireworks cs4 and choosing "open file" and browsing for the file. This is fine, but it takes so much longer than using the "open with" feature.

Not a direct solution to your problem, but there is an alternative that in some cases might be quicker than the "open file" dialog. Simply drag and drop the file(s) onto the app header in fw cs4. Not as apparent as in previous versions, but it works. :-)

SiamJai
                                          ~~~~
                                          http://design.thaiwonders.com - Innovative Fireworks Tutorials
                                          • 18. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                            carolax49 Level 1
                                            I've had this problem since I first installed CS3 and I had hoped that upgrading to CS4 would fix something this obvious. But no. CS4 and XP Pro SP3 still won't let me associate Fireworks with JPG file extensions. How can Adobe ignore something like this? It's been a known problem for at least three years. We don't need Adobe to become Microsoft, part deux.
                                            • 19. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                              Level 7
                                              carolax49 wrote:
                                              > I've had this problem since I first installed CS3 and I had hoped that
                                              > upgrading to CS4 would fix something this obvious. But no. CS4 and XP Pro SP3
                                              > still won't let me associate Fireworks with JPG file extensions. How can Adobe
                                              > ignore something like this? It's been a known problem for at least three years.
                                              > We don't need Adobe to become Microsoft, part deux.

Fireworks doesn't override existing file associations because, a few
                                              years back, Macromedia got a lot of complaints about Fireworks
                                              "hijacking" file types. You are damned if you do, and damned if you
                                              don't. :-)

Here's how to change file associations in both Win XP and Vista.

http://www.fileinfo.net/help/windows-change-program.html

--
                                              • 20. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                Level 7
                                                By the way,

If that method doesn't work,

-Go to the Start Menu and select Run
                                                -Type C: (the letter of your hard drive)
                                                -From the Menu choose Tools > Folder Options
                                                -Now click the 3rd tab named File Types

-Wait until the Flashlight animating Icon has finished. You should now
                                                see a whole list of icons. These are file types

-Go to the file type you wish to change. You could scroll until you
                                                reached the right file type but this takes too long. So instead just
                                                type the three letters of your file type - the extension in order (do it
                                                quickly or you will just select a starting letter instead of a follow up
                                                letter. For example choose PNG;

-In the subcategory it says Details for '***' extension' where '***'
                                                is the file type you chose. There are two buttons there. Click the
                                                Advanced button

-A new dialog window opens named "Edit File Type". Select the "New"
                                                button

-Another new dialog window opens named New Action. In the Action
                                                field type a name for the action you want to perform. For example Open
                                                in Fireworks CS4

-Now click the Browse button and select the executable with
                                                which you want to open the file extension. (Fireworks CS4.exe)

-Click OK in the New Action window
                                                -Click OK in the Edit File Type window
                                                -Click Close in the Folder Options window.

Do the same for all other file extensions you want to change.

--
                                                • 21. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                  lazyriver Level 1
                                                  Linda, These methods do NOT work in Vista. First, when you try to set the program to open it with, Fireworks is not an option. When you "Browse" to the exe file and select it for CS3, Vista takes you back to the "Open With" window without saving the change. Vista Home Premium has a folder "Program Files" and also "Program Files (x86)" which I think are 64 bit. Adobe programs automatically load into the Program Files (x86). Maybe the problem is there.
                                                  • 22. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                    Level 7
                                                    lazyriver wrote:
                                                    > Linda, These methods do NOT work in Vista. First, when you try to set the
                                                    > program to open it with, Fireworks is not an option. When you "Browse" to the
                                                    > exe file and select it for CS3, Vista takes you back to the "Open With" window
                                                    > without saving the change.

Please read my follow up post about a method that does work in Vista. I
                                                    tried it myself.

--
                                                    • 23. File Association and FW CS3
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Well, after several weeks of no Fireworks CS4 (I got an error at launch ), I successfully launched the program.

I began removing non-essential fonts, free fonts, dingbat fonts, and unusual fonts. About 50 at a time.

After about 3 hours of doing this, I got down to 1525 fonts (yes, I had lots of fonts) ... and at that point, FW CS4 opened for me.

FYI, I didn't own any of the fonts mentioned earlier in this thread.

Oops ... just realized this should be in another thread.
                                                      • 24. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                        carolax49 Level 1
                                                        Unfortunately, I already know how to change the file associations--I use computers for a living. The process outlined in the link you supplied simply does not work. Not only does Windows not recognize Fireworks as one of its default options, if I browse and locate the program exe and select it, Windows just ignores my request. It was that way with CS3 and it's that way with CS4.

I don't think your excuse holds water, either. I remember a Fireworks release that 'hijacked' the file associations to use Fireworks as the default, but that was years ago and compounding one mistake with another is just... Microsoft mentality. Associating relevant file types with Fireworks simply does not work properly. It hasn't for years; there is plenty of online evidence that this is happening to other users; there is even a software utility out there that is supposed to fix the problem, although it does not reliably do so.

Personally, I am offended by the hubris of your saying that Adobe is 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'. That is just evasive and condescending, and it doesn't solve anything. You can't fix something until you admit that it's broken.
                                                        • 25. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                          lazyriver Level 1
                                                          I agree with Carolax49. The methods that Linda explained do not work. I tried the method she suggested on 12/2 and typing the letter C in the run command will not bring up the menu with folder options as she explained, at least not on my PC. I wonder why all the other file types can be associated normally (including fireworks 8) but Fireworks CS3 will not. ADOBE, why can't you fix this problem? It is a very frustrating work-around.
                                                          • 26. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                            Level 7
                                                            carolax49 wrote:
                                                            > Unfortunately, I already know how to change the file associations--I use
                                                            > computers for a living.

And you are still using Windows? :-)

Seriously, this is a user to user forum. If you have a technical issue,
                                                            call Adobe technical support.

--
                                                            • 27. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                              lfirth Level 1
                                                              I think we all know the procedure to associate file types with applications, the fact is that
                                                              Vista will not let you. I have just installed CS4 Master Collection and no matter what I do, I can't associate any graphics files with Fireworks.
                                                              • 28. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                                lfirth Level 1
                                                                I've managed to sort my particular issue out. The problem comes from upgrading from CS3 to CS4 because this process installs the same program name (Fireworks.exe) in different folders. i.e. the path for CS3 is c:\Program files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3 and the path for CS4 is c:\Program files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS4. Basically, Vista stores the path of programs you register for certain file associations. When you install a program with the same name executable but with a different path, Vista gets confused. Here's how to fix it:

1. Open regedit.exe
                                                                2. In the left window pane, expand the tree view to:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\<your application executable name>\shell\open\command

<your application name> should be replaced with the name of your application. For me it was Fireworks.exe

3. In the right window pane, double click (Default). Where you see the path to your program, you'll notice that the path is wrong. It will be the old path, where your program USED to be.
                                                                4. Open Windows Explorer, and go to where the executable of your program is located. Copy the path in the Windows Explorer address bar
                                                                5. Back in regedit, paste over the incorrect path using the path you copied from Windows Explorer. Make sure you only replace the path, and not anything extra that happens to be in the Value data text box. (ie. be careful not to erase any quotation marks, or "%1", or anything else you see there)
                                                                6. Press OK, close regedit, and you should be done!

Worked for me anyway.
                                                                • 29. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                                  lazyriver Level 1
                                                                  EXCELLENT JOB. This is a good fix !! When I got to the right spot in the regedit, it still had the path for Macromedia\fireworks8 , as I had upgraded from Studio 8 to CS3. Soon as I made the corrections, then Fireworks CS3 was available in the "Associate File" Thank you very much.
                                                                  • 30. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                                    lfirth Level 1
                                                                    No problems. I can't claim this as my own fix, I did what Linda suggested previously and called Adobe Technical Support, they told me it was a known issue with Vista and would not help me any further, which I suppose is fair enough seing that the fix is a registry edit, something you shouldn't attempt without a safety harness. Anyway, I did a little seaching around the net and found that fix on another forum. It worked for me so I thought it was worth a try for others that were on this forum so I posted it.
                                                                    • 31. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                                      hogfish_4 Level 1
                                                                      Yes that is good but I have fireworks CS4 and noticed that Fireworks did not have the .exe extension when I browsed to find the program. It did not work! Until I copied Fireworks and renamed it Fireworks.exe . The It would show up in the OpenWith dialog box. But thank you I could not have done without you.
                                                                      • 32. Re: File Association and FW CS3
                                                                        lfirth Level 1
                                                                        hogfish_4 makes a good point, you must remember that windows, by default does not display the extension of a known file type so don't forget to add the ".exe".