6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 8:25 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere EL 11 - project initial settings question

SAngeli Level 1

Hi,

Properties of the recorded video (by a JVC handycam) are as follows:

- AVC 720 x 576 pixel - 16:9 - 25 fps - PAL - 8 bit - Interlaced - Bit (poxel*frame) 0.558

Properties of pictures I wish to use are:

- 1944 x 2592 or 2592 x 1944 - 300 dpi - 24 bit similar resolution bigger or smaller

In the past in order to keep the Aspect Ratio 1:1 so that pictures in the video would display properly 1:1 mixing video and pictures I created a HDV 720p 25 (1280 x 720 25 fps PAL) project.

Once playing the DVD on a TV I was able to see the pictures not being distorted and the video fine.

On the contrary, what I was told was to set the Premiere EL project with the same video source properties, but if I wanted to insert a picture I would have had problems (PAR) and needed first with Photoshop EL to save a picture from squared to round pixel, something I do not know how to do.

I know about the PAR (which i really hate) and this is why I am asking the quesiton.

Q1. I wish to create a video project for a DVD 4.7GB. Obviously, the video will be PAL and 16:9. Wishing to include to the video some pictures. What do I have to choose as the initial project to work on from Premeiere EL when starting the program?

Please see video and picture specs above posted.

Q2. Also, any way to learn how to confert a picture with Photoshop EL 11 from square to round pixel?

thank you,

Spiro

• 1. Re: Premiere EL 11 - project initial settings question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, ensure that you have a video clip as the clip on your timeline. This will cue Premiere Elements 11 into setting up the project properties based on your video specs, which is always what you want to do.

Then resize all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size. Using larger photos will only bog down the program and possibly cause it to crash. Premiere Elements will automatically convert your photos' square pixels to whatever is necessary for your project. (Pixels are square or non-square. Never round.)

• 2. Re: Premiere EL 11 - project initial settings question
            SAngeli Level 1

...my video is the original viodeo recorded by JVC camera ("00.mts" file and so on) as previously stated are all 720x576 16:9

I was looking at all availabe Premiere EL existing prject settings and I realized that there is only one project I should choose from:

DV - Widescreen 48 Khz 720h 576v D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1,4587)

This presents again the PAR issue par 1,4587 and not 1,0

DV uses 0,9 pixel aspect ration and not 1,0 This is the problem.

I have had problems in the past introducing pictures. I was told to scale pictures according to this rule:

- SD Video = 1000x750 pixel

- HD Video = 2000x1500 pixel

Q1. I wish to know if my project is SD or HD? I belileve the answer is SD as HD should start from 1080. Can you please confirm me this?

Q2. Also, what do i use for scaling pictures (considering that I have landscape and portrait pictures)? Photoshop EL would be fine I would assume, but, do I simply scale them or do I also have to save them with specific settings, according to my previous question regarding square to non-square pixels?

Q3. Do you confirm, Steve, that with project setting "DV - Widescreen 48 Khz 720h 576v D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9" picture will be displayed on TV perfectly without any distortion?

I did not know that Premiere EL would convert from square to non-square pixel. Is this from ver 11 of Premiere EL? I ask this because this is not happened with some projects I created.

Please answer to all my 3 questions as those are very important to me for properly understand once for all and get me started with the project.

Many thanks,

Spiro

• 3. Re: Premiere EL 11 - project initial settings question
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Spiro

How many photos are going into this PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc project?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?  Including 32 or 64 bit?

Does any of the videos going into this project have a .mod file extension?

With that information, I may be able to contribute to your discussions with SG.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere EL 11 - project initial settings question
                SAngeli Level 1

Hi Romano,

thank you first of all for your contribution.

I really wish to clear this issu up as I have some DVD projects I work on from time to time. Reguardless of if I record in HD, or SD I learned that DVD have a max pixel resolution of 720x576 (in my case I record 16:9).

I will ask, in a separate thread, how to handle video recording/production when I have to always produce a video on a DVD and also when I have a scenario to produce the same video in HD and SD.

Getting back to your questions here are the answers:

1. How many photos are going into this PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc project?

It depends from project to project. For sure 5 at the beginning with backround sound and several at the end (they could be 10 or 30);

Is there a specific extension/format to use? Somewhere I read that it would be best to use .psd but wish to know if I can also use jpg or beter png.

2. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?  Including 32 or 64 bit?

I use Windows 7 Pro x64 with Premiere EL 11 x64 installed.

3. Does any of the videos going into this project have a .mod file extension?

I record with a JVC handycam and all files are .mts

Here is the property of the video recorded

Spiro

• 5. Re: Premiere EL 11 - project initial settings question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Spiro,

Is there a specific extension/format to use? Somewhere I read that it would be best to use .psd but wish to know if I can also use jpg or beter png.

The rec. for PSD is probably offered, because it is the native format from Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, so is a natural choice, and it has zero compression.

JPEG, or PNG could be used, as well, but the warning against JPEG, is that it introduces compression, and is prone to exhibit compression, or JPEG artifacts. Some folk do not see the difference between either a PSD, or PNG, and a JPEG, but many do. When ultimate quality is the goal, I steer clear of JPEG, if at all possible.

As an aside, if the original camera Image is already a compressed JPEG, and I do any editing, whether just Scale, or other editing, I would never Save that Image as another JPEG, introducing a second generation of compression, but that is just me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere EL 11 - project initial settings question
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Spiro

For the still import in Premiere Elements where you want to perserve the transparency in the image after it is imported into the project, I would go with .psd or .png. I would probably go with the .psd for that. As for non transparency related images, I would prefer to go with the JPEG highest quality. The use of the larger file size PSD is preferred by many who cite JPEG degradation issues. In the absence of repeated Save As, I am not running into that issue with my choice of the JPEG image.

But, my questions to you now are not meant to get into the back and forth between JPEG vs PSD. For now, I wanted to suggest a generalized workflow to accommodate your 16:9 project and your 4:3 still images.

Open your Premiere Elements 12 Windows project

File Menu/New/Project

and set the project preset to PAL DV Widescreen.....

before exiting that area, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Next, in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preference/General with its option "Default Scale to Frame Size" and remove the check mark if there.

Then, since you have only a few photos, import your photos as is into the project using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. Scale the image for each to fit the Edit Mode monitor space provided by the project preset set.

You can do this

a. By clicking on the monitor and using the handles of the images bounding box

or

b. Selecting the file, going to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Scale property (with Constrain Proportions with check mark) and using the Scale slider for the scaling.

If your videos are 720 x 576 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, just import them.

What does the rendered Timeline of all of that look like? Is your Premiere Elements 12 overall performance degraded by any of the above?

There are all sorts of variations on all this and differences of opinions, such as jpg vs psd, cropping/resizing (IrfanView or other) or not before import, etc. But, let us see what works here with Premiere Elements 12 in a Windows 7 64 bit provided with adequate resources to support the project.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR