9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 7:09 AM by A.T. Romano

Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV

YogieAnamCara

Hi,

I was using Final Cut Express 4 HD on my old iMac but bought a new late 2013 iMac and learned that FCE will not run on Mavericks (and if you install it you will destroy your OS X plugin manager without any chance to repair it)!

Ok FC Pro X is far way to expensive for me right now, as I just use the app to build nicer photo slide shows. iMove has just a single track and therefore I'm already on the limits. Ok this is where PRE 12 comes into the game and so far I love what I see in the editor. But when it comes to exporting and sharing my work for Full HD TV I'm more than disappointed.

Here is what I use. I exported all my images with 1920x1080 pixels as JPG, max quality with 72dpi and they are looking great on my iMac.
      When I import the stills into PRE they are OK when I see them in the editor. I switched off the still optimization feature and set the highest quality to render the preview.

When looking at the clip on my iMac in the editor is ok so far, but at full screen the images are unsharp, blurry and have ghosting and artefacts. Well I could live with that when it would only be the preview but exporting the video a DVD with Full HD the result is as the preview, images are unsharp, blurry showing artefacts and ghosting. And I can't make it better by manipulating the settiings in the DVD dialog. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!?

The only way to make my photos in the video looking tack sharp and brilliant as they are is when I use MPEG format with Full HD settings and look at the video with quick time.

Why don't I get the same result when burning the video on DVD? Any hints?

In regards to the DVD quality I had no problems with FCE 4 HD! And the images (still photos) are the same footage I used to compare the output!

Secondly I just use the PRE 12 trial version, hope that this is not the reason? The annoying "always on" banner saying that it is a trial version is already something I dislike, but what I experience and makes it even worse is that PRE 12 is crashing again and again on different steps I take, sometimes when I change a setting, sometimes when I scrub, sometimes when selecting a fade, sometimes when importing footage and other step....

With all this the disappointing quality on DVD's and the many crashes I can't find a lot of arguments right now to make the trial a full version?!

Cheers and many thanks for help!

Happy New Year!

Yogie

• 1. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A DVD is ONLY standard definition... for true hidef you need to burn to BluRay

EXCEPT... AVCHD to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1347988 for "about" 20 minutes of hidef on a DVD, but playback requires a BluRay player

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help -has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

• 2. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
            YogieAnamCara Level 1

Many thanks!

As I do have a BluRay Player your suggestion is an option. As I do have a BD writer I can also directly burn to a BluRay Disk as well.

But with FCE the results I achieved on a common DVD were much better in quality than I now have with PRE 12. I used to give away these DVDs from time to time to friends who only have a regular DVD player and now the quality would not be as good as in the past, so what is the difference and why?

Would the quality be better exporting as MPEG and use a third party tool to bring the video to a DVD? I could still use iDVD on my old iMac for this altough it would take ages for the little one

Cheers

Yogie

• 3. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Yogie

What are you or the project setting as the Premiere Elements 12 Mac project preset?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are importing into the project? Did you say 1920 x 1080 pixels. How many photos on the Timeline? What is the total duration of the Timeline? For project settings, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the fields for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

Is your end product with the Timeline content as AVCHD format on a DVD disc or DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc?

What are you or the program doing in the program when the crashes occur? And, what size is the project when the crashes occurs?

Is your Timeline Render Quality set for High Quality Low Speed as well as your Playback Quality (from right click of Monitor) for Highest instead of Automatic?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
                YogieAnamCara Level 1

Hi ATR,

well I would need to translate the settings now and don't know if the verbiage I choose would reflect the right ones, as I'm using PRE 12 in it's German version. I think you refer to the project settings itself!?

The first tab is set to HD 1080i and 29,97 frames per second and I can not change this here(?)! I've set frames to be the display option.

The second tab is called "capture"? where only one item exists and it is set to HDV.

The third tab for video rendering is again not changeable and set to maximum bit depth and still images optimization is un-checked.

Yes my photos all have a dimension with 1920x1080 pixels. I'm just playing with less than 150 images in my test project. And the timeline ends with frame 11130 (something around 6 minutes).

The end product should be a DVD-Video to be playable by a standard DVD player and seen on a TV with Full HD capabilities.

Yes my timeline render quality is set to high quality low speed and the playback quality is set to highest as well.

Well crashes occur anywhere (see above) even when closing PRE.

Cheers

Yogie

• 5. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Yogi

First, I want you to assure that you are not bothered by pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files. If these files are in the default location, please check wherever they may be in Premiere Elements 12 Mac (I am strictly an Elements Windows user)....

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder....preview files

Media Cache Folder (cfa and pek files)....conformed audio

Media Cache (.mcdb files)....conformed video

Check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to assure that all the scratch disk categories are directed to a hard drive save location with adequate free space to accept them.

Now for the project itself...set the Premiere Elements 12 project preset manually, using

File Menu/New/Project

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

Before you close out of there, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then, when you enter the Premiere Elements workspace, import your source media into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

Render the Timeline and then decide if the image quality is impoved. You might explore applying a very small Sharpen effect to the images. Have the others taken you through the drill of evaluating your computer video card and its driver version?

ATR

Let us determine what we have at this stage and then we can decide if any improvement on the path to PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
                    YogieAnamCara Level 1

ATR,

I've just followed your instructions and used the DSLR presets and your recommended settings. As for the PRE editor preview I could see a tremendous improvement in quality already. As for the DVD output I would need to check this but can't do it right now. I will burn a DVD tomorrow and let you know the outcome and if the quality on the DVD has been increased as well.

Many thanks for the time being, it looks promising!

And my iMac has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1024 MB

Cheers

Yogie

• 7. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Yogie

Looking forward to your results.

We will take one step at a time and aim for the best possible for your export.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
                        YogieAnamCara Level 1

Good morning ATR!

My test was successful. The settings I had made previously were the root cause to get the bad result on DVD. Now that I have made the settings like you provided the DVD shows a good quality of my still images.

Many thanks for your support!

Cheers

Yogie

• 9. Re: Still photos in PRE 12 and output to HD DVD for TV
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Yogie

Good morning. Just starting my day and very pleased to learn of your success with your project. Great work.

Continued success.

Thanks for trying the troubleshooting and the follow up on the outcome.

ATR