3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 7:08 AM by Larusa

InDesign copy-paste text not the same font and color

Larusa

when pasting text between InDesign docs that don't have a text style, the font and color will change.

I tried to fix the font part by changing the basic paragraph (default) without any InDesign doc opened and checked the "no break" option under paragraph styles options/basic character formats/not break. I fixed one but the text color is still coming up different than original.

Any idea how to fix it?

• 1. Re: InDesign copy-paste text not the same font and color
          Migintosh Level 4

The trick about setting defaults while no document is open is to change the defaults on new documents. If you are trying to paste from two existing documents, that trick won't change anything. The easiest solution is to create a style before you copy the text. That way, when you paste it into another document, it will bring the style with it, and it won't convert to the aspects of an existing style. Or, you can set up a style in the destination document and use File>Paste Without Formatting, and how ever the text was styled in the original, it will take on the appearance text insert point of the destination file.

• 2. Re: InDesign copy-paste text not the same font and color
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And, I don't think you really want to set "No Break" as a default for all new text. It will cause every text frame that isn't wide enough to hold its contents on a single line to overset.

• 3. Re: InDesign copy-paste text not the same font and color
              Larusa Level 1

@Migintosh. Yeah, I've tried that. In the past we never had a problem placing text and maintaining it's settings, why is it coming up now, hate that they are forcing us to create a style for every little thing.

@John, thank you, yeap I noticed that, I'm turning that off.

Is there any other solution other than setting up styles?