2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 7:18 AM by Eugene Tyson

InDesign CS6 Links

bh_1997

Does anyone know if InDesign CS6 displays an alert if you link a missing file to an older version with the same filename?  Or, if you link a missing file to a completely different filename?  InDesign CS3 would display such an alert, which would give you the chance to catch a potential error.  InDesign CS6 seems to link to whatever filename you click on, without question. 

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 Links
          Doc Maik Level 4

Absolutely not. (Re-)Linking a missing file is something you do on purpose, like starting a car. Why should ID complain here?

It will only tell you when linked filed have changed (file name, file size, file dimensions) once you open a document. While working with a document, it will also detect altered links, but only warn in the LINKS panel.

I doubt that the CS3 version will do what you describe. I worked with CS2 and CS4 versions of ID and they all behave the same way here.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 Links
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is something you'll have to look after manually.

Probably best to never have files of the same filename.

You could have

imagename_v1.tif

imagename_v2.tif

or something that makes better sense.

But follow a naming convention.

I have images for the web all the time and I would save it as

homepage_170x120

homepage_500x250

homepage_50x50

this lets me know the right image for the homepage at the correct size.

I suggest you adopt a naming convention for your files to avoid confusions.