4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 4:14 PM by SLTA99

Sony Alpha 7R compatibility with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ?

SLTA99

Hi everyone,

Who does know if and how I can open the Camera Raw file created by my new Alpha 7R (RAW Sony ARW 2.3 format) from Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ?

It does not seem to be the case by the look of the message below, unless there are some tricks for upgrade or whaever...

I did purchase this PS11 version one year ago when I got the new Sony Alpha STL-A99...

I had hope they would be compatible....

Error message2.jpg

What options do I have ?

• 1. Re: Sony Alpha 7R compatibility with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Each new camera model requires a separate camera profile so Adobe has to support every camera individually, and the ACR plug-in only gets new camera updates for current versions of Adobe products, which I suspect would be PSE12 in your case, since the camera is new.

Your official options are buy PSE12 and update to ACR 8.3 or use the DNG Converter 8.3 to convert your ARW files to DNGs which will be compatible with older ACR plug-ins like you have in PSE11.

The DNG Converter 8.3 is available, here:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html

Another, unofficial option, that works for some people is that Adobe is still allowing the PSE12 ACR 8.3 plug-in to work with PSE11, if you can figure out how to install it. 

At least one person has gotten the ACR installer to update their PSE11 to ACR 8.3.  Direct installer links are here, where I’d suggest you try the ACR 8.3 for CS6 link, first, and if that doesn’t work, then try the ACR 8.3 for CC link:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

If this direct install doesn’t work, then you can still manually install the Camera Raw8.bi file from the setup.zip you download using the above links.  Here are some instructions I wrote up for someone else in a similar situation:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5959479#5959479

• 2. Re: Sony Alpha 7R compatibility with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ?
            SLTA99 Level 1

Thank you SO MUCH.

I have tried the DNG Converter and this is indeed working, however this might become tedious on the long run as I am editing a lot of photos...

I might have to consider investing in an upgrade from PS11 to PS 12. But before doing that, does anyone where can find an official Adobe page showing all camera compatibiliy of PS12 with the Sony A7R (and SLT-A99) ?

Thanks in advance !!

• 3. Re: Sony Alpha 7R compatibility with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is Adobe’s official cameras-supported list where it shows the minimum ACR and LR versions you need and the A7R needs ACR 8.3 which is compatible with PSE12.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

What computer OS do you have?   Once you’ve decided you want PSE12, check the system requirements and it might be wise to download and install the trial of PS12 to make sure it is compatible with your system before paying for it and finding out it isn’t.  The trial may not allow you to update to ACR 8.3, though, by you can always try the setup.zip method.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sony Alpha 7R compatibility with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ?
                SLTA99 Level 1

Fantastic, thanks.

I am on Windows 7 version 6.1.

It should be fine then, but I will follow your advice and try first the trial version !

Thanks again !

---------------------------------------

PS 12 requirement

Windows

• 1.6GHz or faster processor (including single-core support)
                • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2, Windows 7, or Windows 8 & 8.1 (Note: Limited Camera Raw functionality on Windows XP)
                • 1GB of RAM (2GB for HD video functions)
                • 4GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
                • Color monitor with 16-bit color video card
                • 1024x768 display resolution
                • Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible display driver
                • DVD-ROM drive
                • Internet connection required for product activation*