12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 3:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Why cant I get this to export right!!!

allhunter Level 1

So ive had this problem going on only recently in the last 6 months. I have adobe premiere elements 9 and for whatever reason whenever I try to export a video I get a big black frame around my video no matter how I export it. Ive tried everything and it will not fit to screen to say. Here is an example of a video I uploaded that has the problem. What am I doing wrong and how can I get it to fit to screen on youtube and my computer. Thanks in advance!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFqasjApVhttp://forums.adobe.com/community/anon-redirect.j spa?action=post&method=input&containerType=14&containerID=3381k

• 1. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi alhunter,

Let me move this post to the Premiere Elements forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
            A.T. Romano Level 7

allhunter

Your link to your video does not work.

How about some written details.

1. Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of Premiere Elements 9 and on what computer operating system is it running, including 32 or 64 bit?

2. What are the properties of what you are putting on the Timeline? And, what project preset are you selecting to match the properties of that source media?

3. When you look at the rendered Timeline in the Edit Mode monitor, is the playback OK there, and does the image fill the space in the monitor provided by your setting of the project preset?

4. Is this big black frame only when you are viewing your Premiere Elements export on the computer from the YouTube web site? How did you get the video to YouTube....file uploaded at the YouTube web site or your Premiere Elements Timeline uploaded to YouTube from Premiere Elements' Share/Online/YouTube? If the latter is the case, what preset did you use for the upload?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, though it took a bit to get you here - thanks Kevin.

When one has letterboxing, pillarboxing, or black bars around the output Video, that indicates a mis-match between the source footage and the Project's Setting. See this article for some of the causes and fixes: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3797172#3797172

ATR has asked some very necessary questions, and the answers to those will be very useful in sorting this out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                allhunter Level 1

1. Im not sure about the update but I have a windows running the 64 bit.

2 I looked at the properites and its a 720X480 so thats what I plugged in but still have the black boxes

3. Yes it looked normal when it was in the image fill space.

4. The black frame is both on my computer and on youtube. I upload the file onto my computer and then I upload it from my computer to youtube.

Heres what I have for info ATR. Thanks for the response

• 6. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That link did work.

It indicates a mis-match at some level. That might be:

• Between the source footage, and the Project's Preset. That you should see in the Program Monitor.
                  • Or, a mis-match between the Project's Preset (even if the source footage matches), and the output settings.

The answers to ATR's questions should narrow that down to where the mis-match is occuring.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

allhunter

The link is now working, and I saw the black border that exists top, bottom, right, left around the image.

1. We need to confirm if that 720 x 480 is 4:3 or 16:9 video. After you import the video into the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project, right click the file in Project Media and select Properties. At the bottom of the Properties readout, what does it say for pixel aspect ratio. While you are in that location, please confirm the frame size and frame rate.

2. When you are at the YouTube web site, are you given any opportunities to customize your video? If so, how are you customizing it?

We will build on the above information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                      allhunter Level 1

What I found is 720X480 with a pixel aspect d1/dv NTSC at .9091 and its 30FPS. I plugged all of this in and it still is giving me the weird box around the video.  Im trying something now and will see if it works. I do not think that I can customize the video on youtube

• 9. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

allhunter

Thanks for the additional information.

Please excuse if you have been through all this, but I do not want to take anything for granted.....

1. Open Premiere Elements 9.0 (check out Help Menu/About Adobe Premiere Elements to make sure that the splash screen shows Version 9.0.1 at the top underneath

pre

Adobe Premiere Elements 9

2. Set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard.

3. When the Timeline workspace opens, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that there is a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

4. Use Add Media/Files and Folders to import your 720 x 480 4:3 into the project and onto to the Timeline workspace Timeline. Does the video image fill the entire black box space provided by the setting the the NTSC DV Standard project preset?

Please stop here and let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                          allhunter Level 1

I have version 9.0

NTSC DV standard is all I use

Default scale to frame size is set

720X480 is used and is in the entire black box

Thanks again a ton for the help guys!

• 11. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                            allhunter Level 1

Here may be the other problem. After looking at my clips I realize that some of them are 1920X1080 and some of the others are 1260X720. Not sure if this will have an effect. It seems as though some of my clips are wide screen and some are square. How can I get all of the files that I have to be the same resolution.

• 12. Re: Why cant I get this to export right!!!
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

allhunter

Thanks for the helpful and important information about your mixed formats.

What do you want to produce from your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Timeline content...a file saved to the computer hard drive or DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

Footage scaling in the Edit Mode monitor is the first thought that comes to mind. Several scenarios. If we are heading for DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 on DVD disc.

Project preset = NTSC DV Standard (4:3)

with Default Scale to Frame Size with check mark

Import the 720 x 480 4:3 footage.

Then import the 1920 x 1080 16:9 and 1280 x 720 16:9 into the project and scale each to fill the Edit Mode monitor space (leaving no black borders).

What does that look like?

If we are heading for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9 on DVD disc.

Project Preset = NTSC DV Widescreen 16:9)

with Default Scale to Frame Size with check mark

Import the 720 x 480 4:3, 1920 x 1080 16:9, and 1280 x 720 16:9 into the project and scale each as needed to fill the Edit Monitor space (leaving no black borders).

What does that look like?

With more details, we can get more specific on most likely to be productive paths to follow.

Thanks.

ATR