5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 4:19 PM by A.T. Romano

audio export - change the bit rate   How can I reduce the bitrate on a wmv file

WRPing

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 8.  The exported wmv audio file is too large.  I'd like to reduce the bit rate from 1024bps to 512bps.

(I used to use version 4 and the exported audio files always had that bit rate as the default.)

I saw where to adjust the 'Sample Rate', the 'Channels' to Mono and the 'Sample Type' to 16bit.  However, I don't see where the bit rate can be reduced.

• 1. Re: audio export - change the bit rate   How can I reduce the bitrate on a wmv file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

WRPing

Could you verify your targeted audio bitrate units? Do you really mean to write 1024 bits per second and 512 bits per second?

In Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media, under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab of the preset, for the audio codec = Windows Media Audio 10 Professional, did you look at

Audio Format and the numerous choices for combinations of bitrate, frequency, and channels? It looks like the audio bitrates range from 32 kbps to 768 kbps in the various combinations.

As a reference, kbps or Kbps = kilobits per second; Mbps = megabits per second.

When you see KBps, that = kilobytes per second; MBps = megabytes per second.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: audio export - change the bit rate   How can I reduce the bitrate on a wmv file
            WRPing Level 1

ATR, Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using Premeire Elements at our group for publishing recorded speeches onto CDs. We recently moved version 8 from a pc that didn't need it any longer.  Previously I was using version 4.  With version 4, when you wanted to export the audio file, you simply selected FILE - EXPORT AUDIO.  When I choose a .wav file, the system chose all of the defaults. A 50min lesson was:

SIZE: 183MB, BIT RATE: 512 kbps, SAMPLE RATE: 32 kHz, SAMPLE SIZE: 16 bit, MONO

When using Version 8, the best I've been able to get is 397MB for a 50 min lesson. All of the other characteristicsare the same, except that it has a BIT RATE of 1024 kbps.

So I'd like to make the file size smaller.  Since the old difference is the BIT RATE, I'm looking for how to reduce it to 512 kbps. I didnt see the codec option that you mentioned in Version 8.  I will check again.

• 3. Re: audio export - change the bit rate   How can I reduce the bitrate on a wmv file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

WRPing

This is my thoughts for now. Sounds good now. Let us see.

I am not seeing how my prior suggestion is going to target the situation which you have just clarified.

I am not sure why you are in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and using it as an Audio Editor, but be that as it may. Given you have your .wav audio export with the higher than wanted Bitrate.

What about taking the audio export file into the free audio editor named Audacity. There you can change the bitrate and export your .wav with the new bitrate and hopefully the file size that you require. Please check out this YouTube video for some details on the approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54FyB3wLpA

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: audio export - change the bit rate   How can I reduce the bitrate on a wmv file
                WRPing Level 1

ATR, the Audacity suggestion looks pretty simple.  I'll give it a try when I get back into the office. 

We started using Premier a number of years ago for both video editing and it evolved into using it for audio as well.  It's pretty simple to use and we've been very happy with it until we changed to version 8.

Bill

• 5. Re: audio export - change the bit rate   How can I reduce the bitrate on a wmv file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

WRPing

Hope that Audacity audio bitrate change for your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 file is the answer.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for taking the time for the update.

Best wishes.

ATR