11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 8:47 AM by rob day

Info panel

xndero

Schermafbeelding 2014-01-03 om 15.38.09.png

hi,

I want to use the info panel. So I open a new document, and I Paste an image into a blank indesign file. I try to see the effective PPI, but the screen stays blank (as in, there is no information in "Type","Actual PPI", "Effective PPI" and "Color Space"). Eventhough I selected the image. What am I doing wrong? I posted a Small screenshot. I am on the mac version, cs6.

• 1. Re: Info panel
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, Place, don't paste. And second, it depends on the type of image. Vecors and PDFs do not show resolution information.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Info panel
            xndero Level 1

oke that works normally. Is there no way in pasting an image and then seeing its metadata?

• 3. Re: Info panel
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No. Paste just drops the contents of the "clipboard" onto the page. It's a "dumb" process. When you Place, it creates a link to the original file and all its attributes.

• 4. Re: Info panel

When you paste all you have is the screen preview, not the image data.

• 5. Re: Info panel
                  xndero Level 1

so the image will be low quality when I paste?

• 6. Re: Info panel
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, pasting creates a low-resolution image.

• 7. Re: Info panel

You can paste a previously Placed image from within ID, but you shold never paste from other applications.

• 8. Re: Info panel
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

so the image will be low quality when I paste?

On OSX when you paste from the clipboard the format is PDF, so if you paste an image you don't loose any resolution or bit depth—you just can't get that info from ID's info panel.

• 9. Re: Info panel

Unless it's a mac only feature image quality is maintained when you paste from PS—the clipboard pastes a PDF.

Here I've made a 1"x1" 1000ppi file in Photoshop with small rasterized text and an image, then pasted (left) and placed (right).

Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 10.43.40 AM.png

If I scale both up 300% the placed version shows an effective ppi of 333ppi as expected:

Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 10.46.08 AM.png

If I export the page to PDF without compression or resampling, the images appear identical and Acrobat's Object inspector tells me they have the same res and bit depth. Here Object Inspector is showing the pasted version's info:

Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 10.48.11 AM.png

Pasted version zoomed:

Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 11.25.52 AM.png

• 10. Re: Info panel
                            GuyvanderKolk

Now, the reason why you want to paste this logo is probably because you always want it "in" your files.

In this case, what you want to do is EMBED the logo. To do this, make sure you have the Links-panel open. Make sure you have your logo selected, and click on the panel fly-out menu, and select "Embed".

embed_link.png

Embedded links are recognisable by this icon in the links panel.

link_embedded.png

Should you ever need to unembed a link, simply select it and go the same flyout menu.

Please be aware that embedding links increases file size (as you would expect). As a best practice, this should only be used with relatively lightweight files, such as logo's.

• 11. Re: Info panel

Should you ever need to unembed a link, simply select it and go the same flyout menu.

If you need to unembed you have to keep track of the original