6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 5:21 PM by silvamark1

Network Safe Colors

silvamark1

Is premiere elements set to a default that only allows network safe colors to be used because I do not see an effect that you can apply that would ensure that you are using them I don't want to put a ton of work into a project to only have it be rejected because I couldn't apply a basic filter. I am using Premiere Elements 10.

• 1. Re: Network Safe Colors
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements uses basic 24-bit color (8-bit red, green and blue).

What exactly do you need to qualify as "Network Safe"? It's not an expression I've ever seen before.

• 2. Re: Network Safe Colors
            silvamark1 Level 1

Broadcast safe coloring refers to the FCC requirements for admitting a video to be aired on T.V. Computer monitors can show a much larger spectrum rang of colors as opposed to a T.V. screen mainly concerning clipping on bright and dark colors. When you edit on your computer the image representation will me limited when shown over the air on a T.V. so it may look to saturated or over/underexposed.T.V. stations will reject airing your video as it will cause interference in the signals. After Effects, Premiere Pro and the basic Sony Vegas all offer an effect (like auto levels) to be applied on your video that ensures that your levels do not exceed the FCC regulations. Without being able to apply this effect, your videos can be rendered useless on the "Big Stage". Here is a link further explaining Broadcast safe colors   http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24160?viewlocale=en US

• 3. Re: Network Safe Colors
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Silvamark1,

PrPro allows one to limit the Timeline to Broadcast Safe Colors, but I do not believe that PrE contains that Effect (have never seen it there), as it is more geared to the consumer, who will likely not be doing much work for commercial broadcasting.

If Broadcast Safe Colors are needed, I would look to one of the other programs mentioned.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Network Safe Colors
                silvamark1 Level 1

Bill, I prefer to use Premiere Elements over Sony Vegas it is so much easier to edit on. I could complete my project using Elements and then save the video file as a Jpeg and then import it into Sony Vegas and there apply the "safe color filter" and then export from Vegas with that being my final draft. Would that work and/or would you recommend that I don't want to lose a bunch of quality by importing and exporting. I can get sony vegas for about $37 dollars on amazon. It  would be a FAR cheaper solution to buy Vegas than having to pay $700 DOLLARS for Premiere Pro. Would you suggest this as a cheap work around, I don't have a lot of money but at the same time I don't want to lose image quality ( that combination doesn't go well together haha) Thank you for your input. Premier Elements is just so much easier for me.

• 5. Re: Network Safe Colors
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Sony Vegas (non-Pro) offers the Video Safe Colors Effect, then I think that workflow would be a good one.

The decision to make, is how to Publish+Share from PrE, to Import into Vegas. When I need to output a DI (Digital Intermediate) file, I rely on one of the lossless CODEC's, like UT, or Lagarith Lossless. However, others feel that step is not necessary, and will choose a lossey CODEC instead. I try to keep the image quality loss to extremely low, or zero, so I do not mind taking the extra step of installing the necessary CODEC's. I will not argue with others, on their workflows.

For some background on going the DI route, this Tips & Tricks article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

Good luck, and if you have any questions about using DI's, please do not hesitate to ask them.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Network Safe Colors
                    silvamark1 Level 1

That link was very informative Bill and I am still trying to completely understand it. It's still best if I do not have to do multiple imports/exports.

Looking in the advance share options via this path- share/computer/MPEG and then "HDTV 1080p 24 High Quality". It has three categories that may be changed within themselves to  resolve the predicament  of obtaining “safe colors”. The three categories are

Color Primaries: ITU-R.709

Transfer Characteristics: ITU-R.709

Matrix Coefficients: ITU-R.709

Under the Matrix Coefficients tab you are able to change "ITU-R.709" to a different option, "FCC". From what I can tell, these three categories are applicable and used for regulating the color schematics for your exported media to be shown on mediums ie. T.V. broadcasting. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info from Adobe on these options they offer and it's benefits.

Your completely free to critique my exporting method and please do (I use a personal preset, but for the purposes to help others I am trying to keep the info universal so it can help as many as possible. The one I'm using is basically identical to the said preset "HDTV 1080p 24 High Quality")