Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Authorizing on replacement PC

Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer crashed and I'm setting up a new one. ADE won't let me authorize my new PC because my ID has been previously used (on the computer that crashed.) I don't want to establish a new ID ... prefer to keep using my primary ID. How do I get ADE to recognize me on my new PC. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right not to want a new ID; that would not have access to your old books.

~~~~~

Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help, and indeed installation can even trigger this state.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.

Another is  "E_AUTH_NOT_READY"

This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.

In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people.  Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message I get is “You can only authorize this computer with an Adobe ID that hasn’t been previously used to authorize any other computer or mobile device.”

The “other computer” is dead and gone. And info on site says up to 6 computers can be authorized, so I don’t see why that could be the issue anyway.

There is no authorization to remove from new PC because none of my attempts to authorize it have succeeded. Should I try Ctrl-shift-D anyway?

I guess, as you say, my installation of ADE (on the new computer) did trigger this problem. But what alternative was there to doing that?

ADE did allow me (from the new computer) to change my password, but won’t accept my ID to authorize that same computer. That seems weird to me.

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Sent from Windows Mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And info on site says up to 6 computers can be authorized, so I don’t see why that could be the issue anyway.

I agree it shouldn't be an issue, and it isn't.

Most ADE error messages are just incomprehensible, in this case they go one better and produce an error message is completely wrong and misleading

There may be some authorization on the new PC because the failed attempts worked well enough to leave behind a trace that screws up later attempts.

So yes, do use Ctrl-shift-D anyway.

The changing the password was probably on the Adobe website, not on ADE.

You have just reminded me of another stupidity Adobe and ADE leave to trap you.

The Adobe web site will quite properly accept almost any characters in your Adobe password.

However, ADE will reject correct passwords if they contain any special characters; without giving any sensible error message (typical ADE quality control).

So if you have a good strong Adobe password you need to go to the web site and give yourself a weaker one before you try to authorize ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to let you know .... I gave up on old ID.

Created new one and it works. I’d become prepared to lose my books, or thought they might sit on the old ID which I would figure out how to access at some future time. BUT .... all my books are on the new ID. Weird or what?

Anyway, I’m happy ... so not about to try to figure it out.

Thanks again .

Sent from Windows Mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines