8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 2:40 PM by A.T. Romano

Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?

maxlong99

I'm trying to export a video and I keep on running into this error message, which stops the export process.  I've already visited and tried the troubleshooting suggestions on this page and this page, and this page, and none of those suggestions have worked.  Here's a list of what failed:

• Export in various file formats, every single one failed
      • I removed each asset individually and tried to export the video after each removal (100+ assets, imagine how long that took) and I got the error after every single time
      • I removed the front half of the video and tried exporting, still failed.
      • I removed the back half of the video (because if it failed if I removed the front, the problem asset should be in the back, right? nope.) and tried exporting, it still failed.
      • I don't have any Auto Color, Auto Contrast, Auto Levels, or Shadow/Highlight on any of my clips, although if I did, I'd try removing them.
      • All of my video files are the same format, so it's not a mix of formats in my timeline which is causing the problem.
      • I tried disabling auto-save, but it already tried to auto-save during the first 20 times I've attempted this, so the damage might already be done.
      • I obviously didn't use any other programs during this process
      • I moved all my assets to a different location on my harddrive, then reopened the project and refound the assests one by one, each of which had no problem getting into the timeline.  I tried rendering after this, and the render bar sailed along until a certain point, where it got stuck indefinitely.  I cancelled the render, which froze the program.  I had to close it and re-open the project, and re -link every asset again.  Once again there were no problems adding the assets.  I saved the project before the next render, so I wouldn't have to do this a third time, and it was a good idea I did, because the program froze again during the subsequent render.
      • My computer didn't go to sleep or hibernate during the first 5-10 times I tried various methods for exporting.  It has slept in some of the 10+ times I've tried it since, because I don't have the patience to sit in front of my screen and watch it fail again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.  CAN YOU TELL THAT I'M FRUSTRATED???

The first thing I noticed that was wonky with this project was when I first tried to render my sequence. The render window chugged along just fine until it got to a certain point (can't remember the %), at which point it got stuck indefinitely.  I had to cancel the render, and then render other parts of the sequence bit by bit, avoiding what I thought was the problem part.  I tried rendering the problem part, and it got stuck again, so I eventually just decided that that clip didn't need to be in this movie, so I deleted it from the timeline.  All should be good at this point, my whole timeline is green from being rendered.  But, when I tried to export the video, I started down this tourtuous path of failed exports and frustration, and now here I am, posting in the forum, hoping someone can help me out.

The problem asset (if that was the problem in the first place) isn't in the timeline any more, but I'm still having issues exporting the movie.  The fact that rendering still gets stuck after re-linking assets, and after getting rid of the first problem asset, makes me think that there is some bigger underlying issue, but I have no idea what that could be.  I followed these instructions and re-opened the project, tried to export, and still got that 'Unknown Error'.

Please assist before I put my fist through this company computer.

• 1. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Aside from Premiere Elements 11 in the title, I can't find any details... such as in the next link request

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

What is your computer and operating system and what are you editing... to start

• 2. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
            nealeh Level 5

What happens if you start a new project, import a single video file into it (if prompted accept any offers by PRE to change the project settings) and then export?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

You wrote

What happens if you start a new project, import a single video file into it (if prompted accept any offers by PRE to change the project settings) and then export?

This user is using Premiere Elements 11. This is not a version of Premiere Elements earlier than 11 where the first video drag to the Timeline can trigger the type of message that you mention IF the user selected project preset is not correct for the project according to its programming for this feature.

In Premiere Elements 11, the program automatically takes charge of setting the project preset based on the properties of the first dragged to the Timeline video. Sometimes it does it correctly, sometimes not. The catch here is that, if the program does not do it correctly, it does not give you the closest fit for the project preset. Instead it gives its default NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 (NTSC set up) or PAL AVCHD Full 1080i25 (PAL set up).

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
                maxlong99 Level 1

UPDATE: I found that the audio effect New Blue Hum remover may have been part of the problem.  During one of my isolation tests, I stripped the timeline off all assets except clips from the same footage and I also removed that New Blue effect, and the project exported without issue. 

However, when I went back to my full project and removed all the New Blue audio FX and tried to export, I ran into the same "Error compiling movie, Unknown error" message.  I'm still unable to export my project in it's entirety.

Could multiple renders and project files be part of the problem?  I've created many, many different versions of this project to test and see where the problem is, which in turn means I've created many different render files for each different project.  If this could be part of the problem, should I keep the original project and delete all my test projects and associated render files therein?

It might be prudent at this point to try and capture the video from the previewer with some other program, pair it with captured audio from a playthrough, and use that as the video, instead of trying to export this video.  I need a complete version of this video by this Friday, January 10th, which might not be enough time to troubleshoot this problem.  Anybody have any suggestions for this work-around?

Thanks for your help, and I appologize for my temper in the original post

• 5. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
                  maxlong99 Level 1

My computer is a Dell Laptop, with an Intel(R) Core i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60 Ghz, running on a 32-bit operating system, with 3.22 GB of available RAM (4.00 GB RAM total).  I'm using Windows 7.

I've edited plenty of other videos on this machine before, but they've all been 2-3 minutes or less.  This video will end up being around 6 minutes, with many more assets than previous videos.  I'm using video clips, some with Chroma Keying for green screen (which hasn't been an issue in previous videos), titles, images as backgrounds, images as inserts, and a run-of-the-mill mix of transitions, none of which are unique to this project.

One clip that I thought could be a problem is an animation I made in another Elements project, which I exported as an AVI file or something like that, to use in this video.  But, when I took that out of the timeline and tried to export, I still received the error.

• 6. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

maxlong99

Thanks for your update. Let us go through it.

You wrote

During one of my isolation tests, I stripped the timeline off all assets except clips from the same footage and I also removed that New Blue effect, and the project exported without issue.

Did you run a control which included "with the New Blue effect" in this isolated test which does not sound like the "Full Project" as suggested in what you wrote next?

You wrote

Could multiple renders and project files be part of the problem?  I've created many, many different versions of this project to test and see where the problem is, which in turn means I've created many different render files for each different project.  If this could be part of the problem, should I keep the original project and delete all my test projects and associated render files therein?

Each of the projects should have its own name which will be applied to its files. And each project should have rendered files specific to it (for SD project whether video or still clip = DV .avi file; for HD project whether video or still clip = MPEG2.mpg file). Are you naming these different projects with distinctive names?

Have you expanded the Timeline with the -+ slider and closely inspected the track content for

a. leftovers such a very thin vertical black lines scattered about

b. gaps

c. transitions, and especially audio placement

You have probably seen the following, but I will post the link just in case. I suspect you have been there and done that.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/error-error-compiling-movie-render.html

Please let us know what the closer inspection of the Timeline content (as mentioned) revealed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
                      maxlong99 Level 1

I figured out how to make this work.  It turns out that the problem was with my computer. I looked at background programs running in the task manager, and closed everything that wasn't essential.  I then disconnected from the network by disabling my wireless to ensure that nothing was going on there that could take up processing power.  The combination of these two things was just enough to make it work, and I could successfully export the video.

In retrospect this makes sense, because each time the project failed to export, it failed at a different % of being complete.  If an asset was the problem, I'd expect it to fail at the same point each time, or at least close to the same point.

Thank you everyone who contributed in this thread!  I hope this can help someone in the future.

• 8. Re: Error compiling movie 'unknown error' premiere elements 11, tried every troubleshoot, what now?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

maxlong99

Thanks for the update with the great news that you identified factors that get you moving forward in your project. Good work.

We will be watching for any further developments. Please let us know if the issue returns. Hope not.

Congratulations on your success.

ATR