6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 11:44 AM by bvconway

How do I create a Print ready Book/Novel

GreenEvils

Hi All, so I am new to Indesign and wanted to create a novel book, not an Indesign book, to send off to a printers but I am having some trouble with this. I can not seem to find help on how to get my word docs to transfer over without it mucking up. My problem is when I try to import (place) the doc it only shows on one page, and it only shows my title page. My word doc is 440 pages in size it does not hold any colour image or text, just basic B&W text how do i turn that in to a print ready book with indesign? Any and all help would make me happy, and thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: How do I create a Print ready Book/Novel
          Ellis home Level 4

When placing your document hold the Shift key and that will place the 440 pages at once.

Edit: it will be a good idea to buy A Visual QuickStart Guide by Sandy Cohen. It will give you a good start with Indesign.

• 2. Re: How do I create a Print ready Book/Novel
            Derek Cross Level 6

Hi GreenEvils

The first sentence in your question doesn't make sense, at least to me!

Anyway, Lynda.com have an excellent tutorial on how to use MSWord documents and InDesign together.

Here's a link: http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Using-Word-InDesign-Together/122930-2.html

They also have other tutorials on how to create books and other kinds of documents with InDesign, which as a beginner, you'll find very helpful.

And of course you can post particular questions on here for the experts answer!

Derek

• 3. Re: How do I create a Print ready Book/Novel
              GreenEvils Level 1

Thanks Ellis I will give that a go and the guide a look at.

DerekC1000, I ment a book you would publish over the indesign book which bulks your files together in a book, I realise it still doesn't make sense but i can not think how to word it any better, and thank for the link I'll check that out now.

• 4. Re: How do I create a Print ready Book/Novel
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Correct The menu option "InDesign Book" has nothing (well, little) to do with an actual book. Congratulations, you passed the first test!

(+1 on both the Lynda courses and Sandee's book recommendations.)

• 5. Re: How do I create a Print ready Book/Novel
                  bvconway

Here's a quick YouTube roundup to get you started.

InDesign tutorial: How to import Microsoft Word files | lynda.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEif5QeoDjc

Importing text from Word to InDesign without having to re-format

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfQCM86yjg

How to import a Word Doc into InDesign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNSW6EYSLv0

Word to InDesign tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtEMP4L4kc

Word and InDesign tutorial: Creating a Word template with InDesign style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjuYc0a9fC4

• 6. Re: How do I create a Print ready Book/Novel
                    bvconway Level 1

Sandee does a nice job of explaining this on p.242 of her book "InDesign CS6-Visual QuickStart Guide" under "Importing Text", although we're not importing ASCII text here, we're importing Word-formatted 'text' or a "Word document".

I guess it's a matter of choosing the best method that mucks up your imported document the least, because any method will produce a certain degree of "muck up".

Method 1

Just for fun, try to mindlessly copy your Word document first (using Control-A) then paste it directly into an InDesign text frame. You'll get a very messy document with no style formatting, but at least all your text is in there.  So there you have one option, but maybe not the best one.

Method 2

1. Drag the filename from your hard drive (Finder or Windows Explorer) straight into a pre-prepared blank InDesign document set up with Facing Pages and Primary Text Frame. [more details below].

[Someone might want to check the steps below, or fine-tune them]. Control key = the Mac Command key in the following.

Method 3

Use the Place command (File--Place or Control/Command-D)

You start by setting up a basic InDesign document to hold the Word document that you will import into InDesign:

1. Open a new InDesign document using Control-N (File--New--Document).
                    2. Check off Facing Pages and Primary Text Frame so that they both have check marks showing.  If the Units show as picas change them using Control-K Units and Increments (Edit--Preferences--[Units and Increments]) or, faster, Press Control-K then U to get to Preferences--Units and Increments.
                    3. Change the Horizontal: and Vertical: fields under Ruler Units to Inches (or right-click the Ruler at the top of your document and choose Inches. (I think real published books use picas, so we're just changing them here to make things look simpler for this exercise).
                    4. Close off the Word document.

We only need the finished document, so the Word document doesn't need to be open. You'll get an error if you try either Placing (Control-D or File--Place) or dragging the Word document into InDesign from your hard drive while the Word document is open in Word. You can press Control-W (Close Document) while in Word to just close the document without closing Word as well.
                    5. Now drag the document from the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer into the already-created text frame (because you checked Primary Text Frame). [Same as Method 2 above].

This method, for me anyway, brings in the Word styles along with the document and creates new pages on the fly as necessary - to hold the entire document.  Or you can use the Place method (Control-D or File--Place).  If using the Place method you can get more nitpicky about what Styles you want to bring in from Word.

The Microsoft Word Import Options dialog gives you general options for styles but doesn't mention the actual styles themselves.  To compare the Word Styles being imported with those that may already be in  InDesign you would click the Customize Style Import radio button then click the Style Mapping button before clicking OK.
                    6. Choose File--Place or press Control-D to get the file-chooser dialog with three checkboxes: 1. Show Import Options 2.Replace Selected Item 3. Create Static Captions.  Put a check mark in Show Import Options and leave the checkmark in Replace Selected Item (even though it's OK to leave it unchecked for this exercise because you have a blank document with nothing in it but a text frame).

Even easier, hold the Shift key as you click on the Word filename in the Place dialog - to choose the file you want to import.  This opens up the Microsoft Word Import Options dialog whether it is checked or not. 

You can pretty well leave all the options as is for now and just click OK to import the Word document along with the Word styles applied to it.  Those styles become InDesign styles, which you can see by pressing F11 (Window--Styles--Paragraph Styles).
                    7. Click OK.

You might get an "error" message about fonts not being available.  Just click OK on that message for now.  You can fix font problems later using Type--Find Font.

You should end up with a document that is pretty reasonable or repairable using InDesign. You would use InDesign Paragraph Styles and Character Styles to start the cleanup.  For instance you should define a paragraph Body style immediately -- something like Minion Pro, 10pt, Regular.  Or, look for a style called "Body text" or "Normal" or something similar - already defined in Word and imported into InDesign - and redefine it to your liking. Then define some heading styles (like Head1, Head2, Head3). Things will go pretty quickly once you have the styles done.