5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2014 5:02 PM by Willi Adelberger

Question about Compressing for PDF

skeeterz71xxx Level 1

Hi,

Client sent me an ID file and a PDF of that ID file. I made some text edits and added one picture 249kb in size. Their PDF is under 20.2 megs. My pdf is 83.3 megs. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I need to get it closer to the original file size.

print3.png

• 1. Re: Question about Compressing for PDF
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Why is it important you need to get close to the original PDF size? Your client may not have been aware how to make a Print Ready PDF and simply chose 'Smallest'. Or, alternatively, this client was aware of this but made a small PDF so it could be mailed (and trusts you to create a 'printable quality').

• 2. Re: Question about Compressing for PDF
            skeeterz71xxx Level 1

I explained it to him. The franchise book is for download only. That is why the preoccupation with file size. Looking at their pdf file size I'd have to speculate that it was exported at medium image quality. However their images come in better than my pdf does when I export as medium. When I export as high quality they look better but the file size double again. Still it is lessby 1/2 than the 83.3 I was getting with maximum quality. ....

• 3. Re: Question about Compressing for PDF
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you whack Control + D in the original PDF, it'll tell you if it was exported from InDesign. If it was, you could try opening your large PDF and their small PDF up in Acrobat and use Audit Space Usage to figure out what the difference is. You can also strip unnecessary stuff out of the PDF with Acrobat. That is probably what they did.

However, it's possible that they printed Postscript and distilled - which is a very old-fashioned workflow, that strips out some really valuable metadata and structure from the PDF, but that makes a very small file.

• 4. Re: Question about Compressing for PDF
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The franchise book is for download only

If it's not going to press you don't need the 300ppi resolution. Maybe they set the downsampling to something other than 300 which would have more of an effect than compression.

• 5. Re: Question about Compressing for PDF
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If your PDF is not for print but for screen and downloading only use PDF Export Interactive and not for print.

If you would use a PDF for print use a PDF-X standard, not High Quality.