12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 7:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."

michael3434

I have loaded PE12 on my Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 8.0 and keep getting this error message...

"We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver."

I have an Intel (R) HD Graphis 4000 video card. I have updated to the most current driver available... Driver Version 8.982.6.0 but the PE12 will not open and keeps giving this error. I have tried uninstal and install to no avail.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Display driver & Baddriver http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1328594 may help

Did you update via Windows update, or by going direct to Intel?

• 2. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
            A.T. Romano Level 7

michael3434

The following is an excerpt of the details that I wrote in another thread regarding the path to the BadDrivers.txt path in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

For Premiere Elements 12 on those new computer operating systems the route to the BadDrivers.txt file is as follows

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and then in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. You should find it there as a file. NOT in a folder named 12.0 inside the Premiere Elements Folder.

Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

baddrivers.JPG

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

Again, do not forget to set Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives to be active so that you can see the complete path.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
              A.T. Romano Level 7

briank

Thanks for the update and great news "This worked for me!"

The BadDrivers.txt deletion has been a life savers for users (versions 9 and later) who were facing the display card error message in spite of having up to date video card/graphic card driver version.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                PhotoAllie

Deleting baddriver file didn't work for me.  Have HP Pavillion.  Read some other threads.  Disabled/uninstalled fingerprint recognition software, deleted baddriver file again.  Rebooted.  Didn't work. Reinstalled fingerprint regcog software.  Then I started thinking... what happens if I disable one of the drivers it doesn't like.... While I haven't "fixed" the problem, I have a work-around....  What DID work... I disabled one of the drivers (didn't matter which one), opened PE 12, graphics look funky...  re-enabled the driver, poof.... I looks good, works well..... I just have to disable one of the drivers before I open PE.

• 6. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PhotoAllie

What computer operating system is involved with your Premiere Elements 12/12.1?

Assuming Windows, if you go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/name of video card/graphic card....can we assume that you have 2 cards that your computer uses...what bramds/models are shown?

If updating to the latest driver version and deletion of BadDrivers.txt does not impact the appearance of the Display card error message, the typical answer for the 2 card system is disabling the driver for one of the cards. What did you disable

a video card/graphics card that you added

or

a built in video card/graphics card

Do you have any control over these cards other than enable/disable?

ATR

• 7. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                    PhotoAllie Level 1

ATR -

System =Windows

Drivers

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family   [Sticker on outside of computer says Intel inside core 17]

Radeon (TM) HD 6490M

I disabled one of the built-ins.... I disabled the Raedeon - opened PE then enabled Raedeon  - Then used PE normally

It appears I only have enable/disable control of those drivers.  [If I have more I don't see an option or button that allows me to...]

I also have windows movie maker that used to work (2013).  I had hoped a similar change with drivers would work with it, but instead the program crashed.... but I did try it after I had already opened a video file.

PhotoAllie

• 8. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PhotoAllie

Thanks for the reply.

Please clarify. Can you get Premiere Elements to work with just the Intel HD Graphics video card/graphics card enabled?

Does Movie Maker work also with just the Intel HD Graphics card/graphics card enabled?

What are you using Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit or other? What version of Movie Maker do you have/

Please give this another look before importing the source media into the project...unless you have done that already. If source media are triggering these crashes, then we need to get into their properties.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                        PhotoAllie Level 1

ATR -

Yes, Premiere Elements works with just the intel HD Graphics video card/graphics card enabled.  [I do get an error message about AMD, but close it and keep going.]  

When I try to open movie maker with just one graphic card enabled, the program will not open and  I get an error message that the computer does not meet the minimum program requirements.  With both drivers enabled, Movie maker will open and probably work, but I can't see the preview, so I can't see where to clip/edit etc.  The preview screen is black for previous movie maker videos (from 2013) and new mov file. 

The .prel file would not open wit movie maker and actually corrupted the file or something did.   

I read that an earlier version of windows movie maker might work better so installed windows movie maker version 6.0.  Preview screen is still blank.

I made several video clips in PE this morning with intel only , opened and closed the file several times, no issues with the file. 

Thanks,

PhotoAllie

• 10. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PhotoAllie

Thanks for the reply.

I have the Movie Maker which is part of the Windows Essential 2012, and it is working fine on a Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit computer with lots of versions of Premiere Elements installed on it (version 4 through 13/13.1). I also have Movie Maker 2012 installed on a Windows 10 64 bit computer with a few versions of Premiere Elements.

The video card/graphics card involved is Intel HD Graphics.

Working with just your Intel HD Graphics should be resulting in working Premiere Elements and Movie Maker.

The following is the link to the Movie Maker that I use. Please view the page including data on the System Requirements for Movie Maker.

Windows Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials

Please let us know if any of the above information helped to gain you success with Movie Maker 2012 as well as with Premiere Elements. If you have not already, you might consider uninstall the Movie Maker that you now have installed and installing the Movie Maker 2012 whose link I posted. If you already have this Movie Maker 2012 installed, it might be worthwhile to uninstall reinstall it.

Please let us know if any of the above had any impact on your Movie Maker situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                            PhotoAllie Level 1

Ok.  It will probably be a couple of days before I can get back to it.

Thanks, PhotoAllie

• 12. Re: Error message: "We have detected an incompatible display driver..."
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PhotoAllie

Thanks for considering the suggestions.

Looking forward to your results whenever your time permits.

Best wishes

ATR