3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2007 7:57 AM by kcell

    New Flash Player 9.0 mashed up my Flex app

    kcell Level 2
      Hi all,

      today I noticed that a new flash player 9 ican be downloaded, so I installed it and wanted to go on with coding AS3 with my Flexbuilder 2.01 (with hotfix 2).

      After the first start of my Flex app I deeply regret that I installed the "latest" flash player cause the flash player doesn´t behave than the old player concerning webservice calls (or maybe my implementation of webservice calls). My fullfeatured Flex App can´t connect anymore to the webservice. I have to give a closer look what went wrong, but I am really NOT AMUSED that the player has no backwards compatibilty. Its not a new version of Flash player, its still version 9.

      I assume that the new flashplayer is based on SDK of Flexbuilder 2.01 with Hotfix 3 and the current BETA of Flexbuilder 3.

      Has anyone else got same problems with webservice communication after updating?

      best regards,
      kcell
        • 1. Re: New Flash Player 9.0 mashed up my Flex app
          WHawke
          Sorry, this probably doesn't help....I can only confirm the new flash player works with my web services.

          I'm calling my web services from an asp.net web site using *.asmx (c# based). I did have issues with Hotfix 2. Hotfix 2 specifically broke my web services. Hotfix 3 did fix my problems; specifically item:205703, ArrayCollections passed to special ArrayOfSomeType complexType are not handled correctly. Maybe you're running into a similiar issue and this actually 'may' help.

          Good luck,
          daniel
          • 2. Re: New Flash Player 9.0 mashed up my Flex app
            kcell Level 2
            Thanks Daniel, I will give a closer look to my code (this week I am busy with other projects) and let you know the results.

            best regards,
            kcell
            • 3. New Flash Player 9.0 mashed up my Flex app
              kcell Level 2
              Hi all,

              today I found the reason for the crash, whcih occure when my app called the webservice function in the new flashplayer 9.0.115).

              The reason was that in the ResultHandler-function of the webservice call there were nested "switch" conditions used and in two of the "case" branches a "break;" missed. So the problem could easily be fixed, but I just want to inform people if the got a similar problem they should try to start the problem with "empty" Result/Fault Handler functions.
              ( the old version (9.0.47) seems to be more robust against a missing "break;" , but for sure have other leaks)

              so kepp on flexing ;)

              best regards,
              kcell