19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 8:11 AM by A.T. Romano

"Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11

meyerrw

This appears to be a common problem as indicated in the following post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5813286

The post describes work arounds.  Has the problem actually been corrected so that it is possible to burn blu rays directly from Premiere Elements?

If you burn a AVCHD file to a folder and subsequently burn it to a blu ray disc, is the quality equivalent to a "regular" blu ray. 

My goal is to make high quality HD home movies.

• 1. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
          nealeh Level 5

Have you tried the workarounds - i.e. can you burn a file to blu-ray disk outside of PRE?

AVCHD is a subset of the H.264 standard and PRE provides presets up to 1920 x 1080 progressive. In PRE the 'regular' blu-ray presets only go to 1920 x 1080 interlaced. You should not notice any quality differences.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

meyerrw

I would consider the "media not present" to be a possible issue but not necessarily a common one.

Can we assume that you have tried different brand/type Blu-ray disc for your Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray? Have you tried placing the Blu-ray disc in the Blu-ray burner tray before you open Premiere Elements project which is going to be burned to disc? Have you used the Rescan in the burn dialog when the "media not present" is shown?

You wrote

If you burn a AVCHD file to a folder and subsequently burn it to a blu ray disc, is the quality equivalent to a "regular" blu ray.

I have not seen any quality differences when I have done this with the BDMV Folder from AVCHD burn to folder or disc and the 3rd party ImgBurn software using a Blu-ray disc.

Have you tried an uninstall, run through of ccleaner, reinstall of your Premiere Elements 11, assumed Windows?

What Blu-ray external or internal burner are you using? Do you have access to an external Blu-ray burner?

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
              meyerrw Level 1

I have not yet tried a differnt brand of media. 

I have tried placing the disc in the tray before opening the Elements project and going to burn disc.  I have also tried the rescan button.

I have not tried to unistall and reinstall Preimere Elements 11.  This is a fresh install on a new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (SP1) computer.  I do not know what ccleaner is.  I am using an interal Blu-ray burner LG (BH16NS40).  It works with all other applications. I do not have access to an external burner. 

It seems like this should be very seamless.  This is why I purchased Elements to begin with.  I did try downloading the Phantom Burner trial and ImgBurn to try your recommended work around.  I was able to create a Blu ray image that I burned to a DVD (didn't want to waste a BD-R).  It played on my computer with CyberLink PowerDVD 10 as a Blu-ray.  It would not play on my "regular" Blu-ray player.  I don't know if that was because it was a Blu-ray image on a DVD or because I used .VDD vs. .ISO.  I was going to try to burn the project again as a .ISO and then try burning it to a BD-R.  Regardelss, I do not want to have to use this approach because it is a clunky work around that will require more money to purchase the full version of Phantom Burner.  I would like Premiere Elements 11 to work.

The menu in the create project looked terrible.  I don't know if this is due to something I did or if this was due to the work around approach.  I am not sure if there is a better approach by burning directly to a folder as a AVCHD.  I did create a AVCHD file (.m2t file), but it did not have the menus.  I don't know how I would then put this on a BD-R to play in a regulare Blu-ray player.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

• 4. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

meyerrw

Thanks for the reply.

The BD-RE 25 GB (2X) discs are a good investment until you establish your burn to Blu-ray workflow. Then use the BD-R 25 GB (2X).

As for the uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall suggestion, sometimes there may be a problem with the install and/or download of Content that goes into a project. This approach takes in clearing back to before, getting rid of leftovers via ccleaner (regular cleaning and registry cleaning/fixing components).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

What you could try before the uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall suggestion, is the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Probably not likely to help in this instance, but it often does when least expected.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppDate

Roaming

Adobe

Premiee Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. A new one will be generated once you reopen Premiere Elements project. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

I am using a LG (BH12) internal 12 X BD/DVD/CD burner with Verbatim discs and have not run into any issues. My only Blu-ray player is on the computer (it came bunded with the Blu-ray burner). For play back on a Blu-ray player, it is critical that you evaluate the support (format as well as disc/media type on which the video format exists) listed in the player's specifications. It is often difficult to identify a player for AVCHD format structure on DVD disc, Blu-ray player or other.

That BDMV from the Premiere Elements AVCHD burn to folder can be put on a Blu-ray disc with ImgBurn. Have you been there and done that? If you have tried this, was the Blu-ray disc from the same brand/type batch that you have been using for everything so far?

Some applications of the disc image concept often do not support both .VDD and .ISO. Typically one or the other if supported. I guess you saw my comments on that already.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe12-disc-imagephantom-burner-pe.html

You wrote

I did create a AVCHD file (.m2t file), but it did not have the menus.  I don't know how I would then put this on a BD-R to play in a regulare Blu-ray player.

Depending on the specifications of the Blu-ray player or whatever it may be called, you can transfer the file to a USB Flash Drive or SD memory card and insert that into your player for play back of the file.

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                  meyerrw Level 1

Using the trial version of Phantom Burner and your instructions at http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe12-disc-imagephantom-burner-p e.html, I was able to "burn" a .VDD image and subsequently burn that to a BD-R that played in my regular Blu-ray player with a menu.

I tried deleting the preferences with no luck, and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Preimere Elements 11 with no luck (i.e., same problem "no media present").

For now I guess I will go ahead and purchase the full version of Phantom Burner so that I can create Blu-rays, but that does not make me happy.  It is frustrating that I cannot burn directly from Premiere Elements.

• 6. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

meyerrw

Thanks for the update and news of your successes with the Phantom Burner.

But, let us not give up on Premiere Elements and its built in burn to Blu-ray.

Please remind me, did you get a chance to try another brand/type Blu-ray disc for the latter?

Do you see any chance at all of borrowing an external Blu-ray burner to try into your computer environment?

Have you gone done the path of checking for firmware updates for the player?

I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 7. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                      meyerrw Level 1

I have not yet had a chance to try a different brand / type of Blu-ray disc.  I will plan on purchasing a BD-RE disc for sample runs, and I will try again with that disc. 

I do not have access to an external Blu-ray burner.

My LG drive came with software that looks for firmware updates.  I had it check, and there was no new firmware.

I went ahead and downloaded a trial version of CyberLink PowerDirector 12.  I imported the movie I had created in PRE 11, added a few chapters, and it had no issue identifying and buring a BD-R disc that was playable in my home Blu-ray player.  It seems that the issue is with PRE 11. 

I attempted to contact Adobe directly, but they indicated that they do not provide support for this program.  I am disappointed that I am unable to make it work, and that Adobe is not standing behind their product.

Thank you for all of your help.  I'd appreciate any other ideas that you have.

• 8. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

meyerrw

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the news was not better.

I will think about this some more.

As for Blu-ray playback, did not the LG burner come with playback software.

If you are interested in alternative computer players for Blu-ray and their pros and cons, please check out

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-blu-ray-computer-playback-and-more.html

I am holding out hope that the new brand/type disc will be the answer.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                          nealeh Level 5

meyerrw wrote:

I attempted to contact Adobe directly, but they indicated that they do not provide support for this program.

None at all? What exactly did they say?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 10. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                            nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

If you are interested in alternative computer players for Blu-ray and their pros and cons, please check out

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-blu-ray-computer-playback-an d-more.html

ATR, you might want to update the VLC section. VLC cannot play commercial Blu-rays encrypted with the BD+ technology. Although VideoLan offer a libbdplus component, it is a pure research project and, quote, "this project doesn't offer any key, configuration file or certificate that could be used to decode encrypted copyrighted material.".

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

The blog

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-blu-ray-computer-playback-and-more.html

post stands as written in its great detail of what was tested and how and the results.

It went into playback of store purchased Blu-ray movies on Blu-ray discs which one might expect to purchase from a local retailer. These store purchased Blu-ray movies that I have dealt with come with copyright protection and presumed encryption. And, the home made Blu-ray movies were never intended to include home made encryption and did not.

And they could be played back using the VLC player under the conditions described in the blog post.

Please define the source of your "commericial Blu-rays encrypted with the BD+technology".  My focus has been on obtaining playback of my homemade movies or my store purchased ones. If they play with a given player, encryption should not a factor.

What I described in the blog post works for me for playback of my store purchased Blu-ray movies and home made movies, and it has for others.

ATR

• 12. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

Please define the source of your "commericial Blu-rays encrypted with the BD+technology".

VLC won't play very many recent Blu-ray releases on my system. I found the BD+ encryption was the problem by googling. The libbdplus quote is taken from http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbdplus.html.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 13. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Did you try using the details for your store purchased Blu-ray movie and VLC player exactly as described in my blog post?

If you give me an exact title for one of the Blu-rays that will not play back for you in your VLC player and given

• you are using the VLC setup I have described and all its details

and

• you are not getting playback for your store purchased Blu-ray movie

I will try play back of that movie in the VLC setup that I use and have described.

Many of the online articles' can and cannot dos are taken out of context. But, the answers are in the details.

ATR

• 14. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                    nealeh Level 5

OK, I've had to revisit what I did as this was a while ago. v2.1 Rincewind releases of VLC (32 & 64 bit) don't understand the BD+ format at all and produce generic AACS errors.

1.jpg

Using a nightly 2.2 Weatherwax release BD+ is being recognised but errors because of a lack of a library that can decode it

1.jpg

Examples:

Paranormal 3 - plays providing 'no disc menus' is selected.

Taken 2, Iron Man 3, Sons of Anarchy Season 5 all produce AACS errors in v2.1.x and BD+ errors in 2.2.x.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Obviously you are not working with the VLC version that I used in my blog post, nor with the specific instructions for setting it up. Maybe give it a try, and see if it works for you.

http://www.oldapps.com/VLC_Player.php

At the time (August 2013) it was the latest non beta version (2.0.8). The versions of VLC player that you cite, "RinceWind" and "Nightly Weatherwax", appear to have been released after my August 2013 blog post was published. It looks like VLC releases are frequent and may be up to version 2.1.2, whatever name it goes by.

It is not my intent to pursue a study on store purchased Blu-ray movies with or with encryption for each budding version of the VLC player. My focus is Premiere Elements and its burn to Blu-ray product. If a player fails to play a Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, that catches my attention and energy immediately.

But, since I do have an overactive troubleshooting and curiosity gene, I will purchase one of the Blu-rays that you mentioned unless you have others with a lighter theme and run them through the VLC setup that I described in the blog post. Then I will decide what next. Tell me that the VLC player is not playing back Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc, and I will move on it in a flash.

ATR

• 16. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                        nealeh Level 5

I shouldn't worry about it ATR. I just noticed in your blog that you described it as a work in progress and was giving you an update. Even if you buy the same blu-ray titles, they're unlikely to be the same as mine, as mine are for the European region.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Thanks for the reply.

I will let you know of any further developments on this if I revisit the VLC player and Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

As a heads up for me, have you noticed any advantages for your purposes, working with the latest version of the VLC player as opposed to an earlier version such as the 2.0.8 version?

Thanks for your follow ups.

ATR

• 18. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                            nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

have you noticed any advantages for your purposes, working with the latest version of the VLC player as opposed to an earlier version such as the 2.0.8 version?

Not really, I mostly use it to watch TV shows. I vaguely recall a problem with a specific DVD (Hansel & Gretel) that didn't play in an old version, but does in the newer but I rarely use computers to watch DVD's or Blu-rays anyway. My 2008 netbook running an Ubuntu Linux variant based around their 2010 release only supports VLC v1 and that plays pretty much any DVD I've taken travelling with me.

For DVD's I've always been a PowerDVD fan but somewhere along the line lost my install disk .

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: "Media not present" when buring blu ray in Premiere Elements 11
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Thanks. Follow up much appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR