16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 8:46 AM by A.T. Romano

GoPro footage

aaronxmcqueen Level 1

So I bought a GoPro for the high quality videos and to be able to make small edits and movies. I can edit them perfectly fine and export them to youtube or wherever, but the quality is sub-par at best and I can't figure out how to make the quality any better. It's probably something small and I'm an actual idiot, but I figured I'd see what other people had to say. God bless.

• 1. Re: GoPro footage
          A.T. Romano Level 7

aaronxmcqueen

Answers will be in the details.

Please further describe what you mean by sub-par for your YouTube viewing of your video there.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What specific GoPro camera are you using? And, what are the properties of the video that you are importing into Premiere Elements? What is the project preset that you or the program is setting for that project based on the properties of that source media? What is the Timeline content duration?

How are you uploading your Timeline to YouTube? Are you using the Premiere Elements YouTube route or are you exporting your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then uploading that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site?

Please review the above and then, based on your answers, we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: GoPro footage
            aaronxmcqueen Level 1

Sub-par as in the video is a little blurry and just looks terrible.

I'm using Premiere Elements 12 on windows 8

I'm using the GoPro hero 3 black. I have a bunch of small videos that make up a trip I took, ranging anywhere from 15 second clips to 20 minute clips at the most. They seem to be MP4 files that are originally being opened in windows media player. The timeline on the small edit I'm doing now is only about 3 minutes long.

I was using the Premiere Elements YouTube route which was annoying because it wouldn't work until like the 5th time I tried it.

• 3. Re: GoPro footage
              aaronxmcqueen Level 1

When I open them in Windows Media Player however, they are coming out in HD and exactly how they should look.

• 4. Re: GoPro footage
                A.T. Romano Level 7

aaronxmcqueen

We need to start off with getting a handle on the video audio properties so that the Premiere Elements project settings can be set correctly.The good and bad news is that GoPro offers a large variety of recording settings - 1440 p, 1080 p, 960 p, and 720 p that I have found. And, various choices of frame rate can be found. So, let us see what we know so far.

You are recording to a H.264.mp4 file. But, that does not tell us the frame size, frame rate and which of those above recording modes you are in. Could you give your camera settings another look. Otherwise, we may have to resort to you running one of your files through a video audio properties readout program such as MediaInfo. If Windows,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Just be careful to avoid any bloatware with your choices during download and installation with any of these programs. The program will give us excellent information.

Some encourage processing GoPro footage with software that came with the camera. But, I have seen some excellent to magnificent footage with footage from the GoPro to Premiere Elements workspace.

Let see if we can get the details to set up the project optimally. Once we do that, we are on firmer footage moving forward.

We will be watching for your details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: GoPro footage
                  aaronxmcqueen Level 1

Ok, so I downloaded the mediainfo program because I have no idea about frame size and rate and any of that. I've never dealt with any sort of video or audio files in the way that I'm using them so this is a first time experience. Sorry if it's annoying having to dumb everything down for me haha.

So I guess I'll just list what the program said exactly. The clip I ran through was a 23 second clip. The 'First video stream' reads like this: English, 30.0 Mbps, 1920*1440 (4:3), at 47.952 fps, AVC (High@L5.0) (CABAC / 1 Ref Frames)

The 'First audio stream' reads like this: English, 128 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 2 channels,AAC (LC)

No idea if that helps you any, but if you need me to try something else or different info just let me know.

• 6. Re: GoPro footage
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

aaronxmcqueen

Thanks. Would it be possible for you to post the actual full MediaInfo (Tree View) video and audio properties readouts for the 2.7K and 4.7K?

If you have Windows 8 64 bit, it should come with a Snipping Tool. This is a screen capturing tool which will allow you to do a screen capture of the MediaInfo Tree view as a .jpg which you can be posted in a thread here, using the camera icon in the top row of the message that you are sending. The following is sampling of what the Tree viewing format displays.

4K Monday.JPG

If what you see does not have this format, then click on View Menu/Tree.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: GoPro footage
                      aaronxmcqueen Level 1

Screenshot (1).png

If this is not the right thing let me know

• 8. Re: GoPro footage
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

aaronxmcqueen

Thanks for the screenshot, but I was interested in the MediaInfo Tree video audio properties readout for the 4K and 2.7K footage. What you present appears to represent the 1440p offering (1920 x 1440 @ 47.951 progressive frames per second) with AVCHD video compression and AAC audio 2 channel.

Is the above the footage that you were using and calling 2.7K in your comparison of 4K and 2.7K from the GoPro camera?

As far as I can determine, your GoPro offers, 4K, 2.7K, 1440p, and 1080p.

ATR

• 9. Re: GoPro footage
                          aaronxmcqueen Level 1

Screenshot (3).png

Is this the right thing?

• 10. Re: GoPro footage
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

aaronxmcqueen

Thanks for the latest screenshot. It appears to be the same as your last one which represents the GoPro 1440p setting rather than a 2.7K one.

I am wondering. Does the screenshot represent your source file that you have been working with and referring to as 2.7K or other?

If this is what you have been working with and comparing to 4K from the GoPro, it would appear that you have not been working with the 2.7K yet.

According to your initial report 2.7K worked, 4K did not. You have subsequently found out that 4K works after conversion. So, if you have not yet worked with 2.7K, I would ask "Would that, like the 4K, need conversion to work in Premiere Elements?"

Please check out the above to make sure that I have not misinterpreted what you have written or any specifications for your GoPro camera.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: GoPro footage
                              aaronxmcqueen Level 1

How would i be able to figure out if 2.7K needs conversion? This is all so confusing to me haha.

• 12. Re: GoPro footage
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

aaronxmcqueen,

I was able to Import a GoPro 2.7K test Clip, into PrE 11, and edit it just fine. My first inclination would be that it will not need external conversion, but you might find things, that I did not think to try, with my test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: GoPro footage
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

aaronxmcqueen

Thanks for the follow up which includes your question:

How would i be able to figure out if 2.7K needs conversion?

My basic answer to that question is if is imports into Premiere Elements and gives you good quality video and audio in Edit and Export, it does not need to be converted.

IMPORTANT

At this moment, I have no evidence that you ever worked with 2.7K in Premiere Elements, maybe 1440p.

Let me explain.

You say 2.7K worked 4.7K did not (no video, just audio import). So, I target the video codec. You seemed to have said that the GoPro 2.7K and 4K are the same except for frame size and resolution. When, for confirmation, I asked for a MediaInfo readout for the 2.7K and 4.7K files that you are working with, you post a properties readout for a file reprepresenting the 1440p setting, not 2.7K and 4.7K.

From what I have read,

2.7K = 2716 x 1524 pixels frame size (16:9)

4K = 3840 x 2160 pixels frame size (16:9)

1440p = 1920 x 1440 frame size (4:3).....this is the one in your MediaInfo screenshot

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

If the 1920 x 1440 (4:3) is what you have been working on, you are not recording 2.7K or 4K from that GoPro camera.

We need to know to what we are referring that needs converting or not.

It is all well and good that Hunt has tried a 2.7K file in Premiere Elements 11 Windows and found it does not to need conversion. But all that may have nothing to do with what you are working on if you are recording in the GoPro 1440p instead of 2.7K (2716 x 1524).

Do you have a properties readout for GoPro File that you have worked on that shows a frame size of 2716 x 1524 (2.7K) or 3840 x 2160 (4K)? If so, that is what I would like to see. I am after the reading for video and audio codecs used, same or different 2.7K vs 4K.

Please review the above. And, if you still need clarification on what I have written, please let me know, and I will clarify further - rewrite if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: GoPro footage
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Can we assume that your 2.7K file came from the GoPro Hero 3 Black?

ATR

• 15. Re: GoPro footage
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

From memory, I think that is correct. I downloaded both a GoPro 2.7K and 4K file from the Internet (think that was from the GoPro Web site?).

Hunt

• 16. Re: GoPro footage
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for the confirmation.

We look forward to aaronxmcqueen's clarification to make sure of what that user has been working with and comparing.

Lots of interesting information.

ATR