4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 10:05 AM by rob day

Convert RGB to CMYK in bulk

LSemas

I have a book publishing project with about 300+ images in RGB that need to be converted to CMYK. I'm told I can do that using the export function to press format, but that that will also convert text from Black to CMYK. Is there a way to convert the pics but not the text, or convert the text back to Black. Or is there another solution (besides converting each pic one at a time in Photoshop)?

Please advise ASAP ... ready to go to print.

I am using InDesign CS5.5

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Convert RGB to CMYK in bulk
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Exporting to PDF with the press setting will convert your RGB images to CMYK but should not do any harm to black.

• 2. Re: Convert RGB to CMYK in bulk
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but that that will also convert text from Black to CMYK

Is your text defined as an RGB black swatch? If it is change the swatch definition to CMYK 0|0|0|100 black and export using a PDF/X preset with Output>Destination set to Document CMYK. In that case any document CMYK colors including CMYK blacks will export unchanged.

• 3. Re: Convert RGB to CMYK in bulk
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
              • It would be better to REPLACE the RGB swatch with the [Black] in brackets. This will overprint. A self defined black will not overprint. (At least with default settings.)
              • You can convert on PDF export, use PDF/X-1a which allows only CMYK space.
              • In your Color Management Settings in CMYK Policy select keep values for CMYK, this will avoid a CMYK to CMYK conversion which would split up K-black to 4c-black.
              • 4. Re: Convert RGB to CMYK in bulk
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In your Color Management Settings in CMYK Policy select keep values for CMYK

The Color Setting's Preserve Numbers policy only affects placed CMYK files and does not protect native color or swatch numbers.

On export you can protect native color CMYK values by setting the Color Conversion to Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers), but Convert to Destination with the Destination set as Document CMYK will also leave native CMYK unchanged.

In the end you can't control the output when you hand off the PDF—PDF/X-1a makes CMYK-to-CMYK conversions less likely but not impossible.