5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2007 1:24 AM by Peter Grainge

Putting links in Expanded Text Drop-Downs

LindaTechWriter
      Hi all,

I need to create links in my expanded text drop-down boxes to sections within the drop-down text itself. At the top of the expanded text, I want to have a list of the sections below (a contents list), and then have each entry in that list be a link to the section below.

When a create my links, it looks like they are good, and it looks like I can apply them, but they don't work. I get the dreaded, "this page cannot be displayed" error message

I am running RH HTML 5.0.2.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Linda
        • 1. Re: Putting links in Expanded Text Drop-Downs
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Expanded text drop-down boxes? Are we talking about expanded text or dropdowns?

I think your question is you want a link in one dropdown to something in another dropdown?

On my site there is information about how to create a link from one topic to a dropdown in another and have it open. However even that will not link to something IN the dropdown.

If my guess about what you want is right, I don't think it can be done. If not, please clarify what you want.
          • 2. Re: Putting links in Expanded Text Drop-Downs
            LindaTechWriter Level 1
            Peter,

Thanks for your response. Your guess is half (maybe 1/3) right. First, I am sorry for the confusion between expanded and drop-down text. I do mean drop-down text. Secondly, I want to create a link in a drop-down to another point in the same drop-down. I want to create a list of links at the top of the drop-down to direct users to specific sections in the same (really big) drop-down. Why my customer wants this funtionality is beyond me, but I guess that's besides the point.

So, if I understand you correctly, this cannot be done. Bummer!

Thanks,
            Linda
            • 3. Re: Putting links in Expanded Text Drop-Downs
              I was thinking entirely about links from somewhere outside the dropdown with the target . If you have tried it with RH dropdowns, then you might have to consider other javascript methods of creating dropdowns. Maybe one of those will support dropdowns within dropdowns.

There are some alternatives on my site.

• 4. Re: Putting links in Expanded Text Drop-Downs
                LindaTechWriter Level 1
                Peter,

Thanks again for such a speady reply.

I did check out your site before I posted my question. Your site has been a wonderful resource. I check it quite often, and most times I do find my answers there. However, this time, I didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Or maybe I'm not reading your titles/descriptions properly. I really hate to be a pain, but could you point me in the right direction? Can you just let me know the name of the snipid I'm looking for?

Thanks again so very much,
                Linda
                • 5. Re: Putting links in Expanded Text Drop-Downs
                  Look at RoboHelp | Autoexpand for information about creating a link to a hotspot so that it opens.

Look at Authoring | Dropdowns for information about alternatives to RoboHelp's dropdowns. They are not as easy to implement. There are other methods out there but many don't work too well.