1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 6:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?

Pbeck1 Level 1

I have some clips of my child when she was very little (i've supplied a sample at the bottom). I want to make a project with them in Premiere Elements 10.

I've tried using Premiere Elements' auto project settings advisor (i.e placed the 1st clip of the new project onto the timeline so it can advise if the project settings are correct or not) but no matter what intial project settings i use Premiere Elements doesnt suggest auto corrected settings. So, I've used 3 different media analisis programs to tell me what properties my video clips have and they all say different things:

1) Media info says: AVI (Mjpeg) 720x480 (3:2) 30 fps NTSC, interlaced.

2) MovieScanner says: AVI (Mjpeg) 720x480 (4:3), 480p (progressive).

3) MediaTab says: AVI (Mjpeg) 720x480 (3:2) 30fps, NTSC progressive.

So, i think i can safely say the clips are AVI (motion Jpeg), but are they interlaced or progressive (it's obviouisly important for me to get this right when choosing the project settings)? I have no idea what the pixel aspect ratio and all that would be as that's getting too advanced for me.

Can Mjpeg even be interlaced? Surely if it's lots of Jpegs put together to make a moving image then they must be progressive, or can the Jpegs themselves be interlaced?

Here is a very small sample clip if somebody wants to download & have a look for me:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F587D73C02F4DBBB!2689&authkey=!ANELPbk4tYQDCDc&ithin t=file%2c.AVIhttp://

Any tips of how someone would go about finding out these settings would be great too.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, version 10 really doesn't set up projects automatically. That feature wasn't added until version 11.

That said, MJPEGs don't really work well at all in Premiere Elements.

The best advice with MJPEG video is to either edit it in Windows MovieMaker, or put the video into MovieMaker and then output it as a MP4, which will work in Premiere Elements -- if you've properly set up your project (or are using versions 11 or 12).

• 2. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

Your details seem to be incorrect or misread.

I have downloaded your sample file and looked at its properties with MediaInfo and gspot, both support the readout of the other.

You have a file which has MotionJPEG video compression, frame size of 720 x 480, frame rate of 30 progressive frames per second. The display aspect ratio is not the typical video 4:3 or 16:9, but rather 3:2. The 720 x 480 pixels represent square pixels not non square pixels to which a correction factor is applied to obtain 640 x 480 square pixels (4:3).

Although the presence of the MotionJPEG video compression is often problematic in Premiere Elements, I believe that the major considerations exist in the rest of those video properties. There is no Premiere Elements project preset for what you present.

This is what I would like you to try in your Premiere Elements 10 Windows, assuming that you are not having MotionJPEG codec issues.

Premiere Elements 10 Windows

Project Preset = NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino and Ultra 30p

The TImeline content will have a red line over it. Press the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard to turn the red line to green as the Timeline content is rendered to give you the best possible preview of the play back of the Timeline content in the Edit Mode monitor.

If you see any minor black borders, you can scale the image in the monitor to eliminate those minor black borders.

If the MotionJPEG codec presents a problem, we can talk about downloading and installing the Morgan MotionJPEG codec.

I have done a road test with your sample and my Premiere Elements 10 Windows and the results are promising.

Please review and let us know the come.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...How do you intend to export this Timeline content if it proves acceptable at the Edit stage?

• 3. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
              Pbeck1 Level 1

ATR, thanks for your detailed reply.

Ok, i'm confused.

I just re-analised the clip info in MediaInfo at my end and this is the result:

General

Complete name                            : C:\Users\paul\Documents\2010-12-20 - emily in jersey.AVI

Format                                   : AVI

Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave

File size                                : 85.5 MiB

Duration                                 : 1mn 5s

Overall bit rate                         : 11.0 Mbps

Video

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : JPEG

Codec ID                                 : MJPG

Duration                                 : 1mn 5s

Bit rate                                 : 12.0 Mbps

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 480 pixels

Original height                          : 960 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2

Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps

Standard                                 : NTSC

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.158

Stream size                              : 93.5 MiB

How can Mediainfo at my end say 'Interlaced' if it is not?

ps. I havent even considered how i'm going to export it yet. I think there is 720x480 export settings in both the Mpeg and AVC sections, with Mpeg being 'NTSC DVD Widescreen' or 'NTSC DVD Standard', and in the MP4 section there's 'NTSC DV Widescreen' or 'NTSC - DV Standard'. I would imagine these are interlaced though.

Paul.

• 4. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul,

We will have more flexiablity in the export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab.

The following is the MediaInfo readout of your video sample that I downloaded from your link posted here.

MediaInfo

MediaInfo.JPG

The following is the gspot properties readout for this same sample

Gspot

samplegspot.JPG

Also, note that your Media Info includes a "Original Height = 960 pixels. Mine does not. Why? Could you have two files on this one that are getting mixed? Are you doing anything to this file except having it exist on your computer hard drive?

We will be watching for further developments and thinking some more about this.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Could you put your video (the one that you posted) into Premiere Elements and try the settings suggested and let us know how that worked out?

• 5. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                  Pbeck1 Level 1

How strange.

I'm using MediaInfo 0.7.65. I also have installed K-lite codec pack - I assume that makes no difference?

Yes, I've tried your settings in Pre10 (Project Preset = NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino and Ultra 30p). All seems ok, although i would have to admit that this is all quite advanced to me and i wouldn't really know any better. I'm curious as to why the project is therefore 640x480, when the clips are 720x480?

If i remember correctly (it was almost 4 years ago now) i took about 30 clips with that particular video camera (before i went out a bought a nice HD camcorder). At first the clips were 640x480 30fps. I think i twiddled with the settings a bit on the camcorder (thinking i knew what i was doing) and the subsequent clips started coming out as 720x480. It would be great if i could use all the clips in the same movie, but i just assumed that because they had different specs it would spell disaster.

• 6. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                    Pbeck1 Level 1

also:

I just checked the same clip on my other pc, using 'MediaInfo' too and it also says interlaced. So strange.

• 7. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

Thanks for the follow up.

My version of MediaInfo is 0.7.47. It works fine so I have not updated it, especially in light of all the bloatware that seems to come with the more recent versions of MediaInfo even if you are careful in your choices when you do the download and install.

The bottom line is that there is no 720 x 480 square pixels in Premiere Elements (any version) project presets. This all goes to square pixels versus non square pixels. You have 720 x 480 square pixels.

When you see the project preset NTSC DV Standard 4:3, it gives a frame size of 720 x 480 pixels (those are non square pixels and definitely not 4:3, rather 3:2). If you look into the description of that project presets description, you will find a correction factor called pixel aspect ratio. For NTSC DV Standard it equals 0.9091. When that is applied during encoding, you are then dealing with 640 x 480 which is 4:3.

None of the above may be understandable at this time. It takes time to check it out.

But for now, here is my suggestions

1. Use the Flip project preset that I suggested.

2. When you go to export, you can alter the settings of the export under the Advanced Button of the preset that you select in one of the categories. Let us try this

a. Suggested project preset

b. Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Standard

You should get a good quality DV AVI file,720 x 480 frame size pixels.

Please give it a try and then let us know the results. Since you have not seem to have hit the MotionJPEG codec issue in Premiere Elements, you should be OK.

ATR

• 8. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

On the MediaInfo readouts that you are doing and seeing "interlaced" for Scan Type, what are you seeing for Display Aspect Ratio, 4:3 or 3:2?

ATR

• 9. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                          Pbeck1 Level 1

um, my media info says 3:2

I'm aware that im probably showing my chronic lack of understanding here on the subject but can i ask why we would export to AVI 720 x 480, if the project is 640 x 480? So hard to get my head around all this. I'm much more used to using Lightroom for photography where image size is so much simpler, lol.

Would it have to be exported to AVI? I don't think my Blu-ray player can play that file type. It seems quite happy playing MP4's or Mpeg's though.

• 10. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                            Pbeck1 Level 1

also, i've just installed your version of Mediainfo on my machine and can confirm that the 'scan type' now says progressive instead of interlaced.

So version 7.47 says progressive and version 7.65 (latest) says interlaced!

• 11. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

A new wrinkle in this interlaced versus progressive equation.

I just right clicked the file's thumbnail in Project Media, selected Properties, and found that Premiere Elements 10 is calling this one 720 x 480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9091. So much for 720 x 480 as square pixels.

In view of this latest conflicting data, let us give a look to this

Premiere Elements 10 project preset = NTSC DV Standard

For export, look at the quality of:

Share/Computer/AVCHD with presets = MP4 NTSC DV Standard (this one should give you a .mpg file extension.

or

Share/Computer/MPEG with presets = NTSC DV Standard (this one should give you a .mpg file extension).

Please give those a try and let us know the results, including whether the export gives interlaced or progressive on the 2 versions of MediaInfo.

Thanks.

In the morning, I will do some more checking on what might be going on with MediaInfo and your video.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 12. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                Pbeck1 Level 1

ATR

Your wisdom here would be greatly appreciated (again).

I've decided to make my new movie project of my childs' 1st year in Premiere Elements 12 (not 10), and with the following settings:

The clips i have are of her 1st year and are from the same camcorder. Unfortunently (as previously described) i changed the settings on the camcorder half way through the year. So i have 2 sets of clips i want to use if possible.

The clips are in date order & comprise of the following 2 sets of properties (info from MediaInfo older version 0.7.47):

Set 01:

Format                           : JPEG

Codec ID                         : MJPG

Width                            : 640 pixels

Height                           : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 4:3

Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:2

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.161

Stream size                      : 144 MiB (98%)

Set 02 (you have a copy of 1 the clips from this set (2010-12-20 - emily in jersey.avi)):

Width                            : 720 pixels

Height                           : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 3:2

Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps

Standard                         : NTSC

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:2

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.158

Stream size                      : 93.5 MiB

Now, i have a stumbling block to solve and your advice would be hugely valued:

What project settings should i use (i ideally want to use both sets of clips in the same project, sorry, lol)?

I'm very tempted to use the project settings that Premiere Elements 12 suggests. It suggests a project setting for clips from set 1 (but has no idea about the settings for Set 2). There are more clips in Set 1 and so it makes sense to me (at the moment) to choose those.

The suggested settings from Premiere Elements 12 are:

Sony XD CAM EX 720p

timebase 30.00 fps

640 x 480

square (1.0)

no fields (progressive scan)

30fps timecode

The clip information that Premiere Elements 12 displays for the 1st clip in set 1 that i placed on the timeline are:

Image size 640x480

Frame rate 30

Pixel aspect ratio 1.0

Would you agree that these settings look about right, or would you still recomend the settings you previously suggested (for that clip from set 2)?

Also, just to complicate things slightly too, i have 2 further clips that i wouldnt mind fitting in that were captured using a different camera altogether. I was not going to use them because of the incompatible frame rate, but is it possible? It doesnt matter too much if its too much of a pain becausde they are only 2 clips.

Their settings are:

Video

Duration                         : 3mn 2s

Bit rate                         : 16.3 Mbps

Width                            : 1 280 pixels

Height                           : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate                       : 24.000 fps

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.738

Stream size                      : 354 MiB (92%)

Title                            : FUJIFILM AVI STREAM 0100

I'll probably need further advice when the project is completed about how to ideally export the movie.

Many many thanks.

ps. This problem will not occur again, since i now shoot all my clips from 1 HD camera and with all the same settings, lol.

Just in case you wish to view the 1st clip from set 1 that i placed on the timeline, i have uoploaded it to skydrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F587D73C02F4DBBB!2688&authkey=!AJb8s6PYsHAvg18&ithin t=file%2c.AVI

• 13. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Choose a DV ntsc standard project. That is a 4;3 project.

Make sure the settings are forced on the project.

Import the clips.

Interprete them to square pixel (1.0) in the Pixel Aspect Ratio section.

Drop them on the timeline.

The only thing is you loose a bit on each sides but the view is now correct.

To correct this you can scale the frame a bit down to fit the sides, but induces black bars at the top and bottom.

Ready to go.

interprete.png

• 14. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                    Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi Ann. Thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm currently not at my PC but using my phone, so apologies for a scruffy reply. Am I right in remembering that a DV Std project is interlaced? I think my clips are progressive. Also did you read my previous post about my 2 sets of clips?

• 15. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

Thanks for the follow up.

I am in the process of downloading and looking at your second video clip.

I will run them through my Premiere Elements 10 and the properties readout programs and then report what worked for me in setting up a project with your video clips 1 and 2.

With Media Info versions, are you getting agreeing video audio properties readout for this clip 2 whereas you did not for clip 1.

More later.

ATR

• 16. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?

Pbeck1 wrote:

Hi Ann. Thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm currently not at my PC but using my phone, so apologies for a scruffy reply. Am I right in remembering that a DV Std project is interlaced? I think my clips are progressive. Also did you read my previous post about my 2 sets of clips?

That is not a problem that the clips are progressive.

The second clip you posted you can drop in the timeline without a problem.

You might see some interlacing artifacts in Elements preview window, but dont worry.

I made a dvd folder of your footage and it looks great. This is what it looks like in Power DVD.

I made this is E12, but the codec is still the same.

• 18. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Psbeck1

I have reviewed the properties of both clips 1 and 2 that you have presented. After weighing all factors, I am going to interpret the properties to the extent that both are progressive based on my MediaInfo readouts.

Based on all that, the following works for me:

1. Open your Premiere Elements 10 Windows project and select the project preset as mentioned initially, that is,

Project Preset = NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino and Ultra 30p

Using Get Media/Files and Folders/ import clip 2 and drag it to the Timeline. There should be no red line over the Timeline content and the image should fit perfectly into the Edit Mode monitor space. Then import clip 1. The view of this in the Edit Mode monitor is expected to show a tiny black border at the bottom of the monitor space. Click on the screen and drag down the bottom of the image to eliminate that very tiny black border. This clip 1 will have a red line over its contents. Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. The red line will turn green when that is completed.

The playback of the above rendered Timeline should look fine. Now what to do with it.

You have expressed interest in playing this back on TV via a USB Flash Drive or SD memory card as a MPEG or MP4 file. For the MPEG2.mpg, please try:

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = TiVo Series 2 (NTSC)

and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, adjust the settings to look like

ITITTTT.JPG

Other formats will depend on the specifications of your player. If you post them, then we can suggest other formats to which to export your Premiere Elements 10 Timeline.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for trying the suggestions.

ATR

• 19. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                            Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi ATR

Thanks so much for your time in helping me. I'm away from my PC at the moment but will use your settings when i get home. I'm so pleased to have an answer.

Can i just ask why you chose:

Project Preset = NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino and Ultra 30p ....

Instead of the one Premiere Elements suggested for clip 1 (not clip 2) which was:

Sony XD CAM EX 720p

timebase 30.00 fps

640 x 480

square (1.0)

no fields (progressive scan)

30fps timecode

Also, playing the finished movie on my Blu-ray player is just a present day convenience thing. However Blu-ray players won't be around for ever (especially not when my child grows up and wants to watch the movie herself), and so I'd rather have an export file format that played primarily on my computer (or future computers), and perhaps years later that could also be used in any future media player/device or editing/conversion software.

• 20. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                              Pbeck1 Level 1

Ann, just seen your reply too. A different answer to ATR's.

• 21. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

When your project preset is Project Preset = NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino and Ultra 30p

Project Settings xxxxx.JPG

What you get under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General with that project preset is

Project Settingsxxx.JPG

At this time I am working only with the two clips that you have posted as downloads. The second of the downloads have video properties which match this FLIP preset. Since Premiere Elements offers only one project preset and the first download deviates slightly from the first in properties, I have decided to favor the FLIP project preset and have everything else fit into it. The properties of the first video are questionable, and I am interpreting the only difference between them being the frame size. I am calling that first one progressive frame rate.

As for the export, the MPEG2.mpg cited previously can be played back on the computer as well as on TV which supports MPEG2.mpg on a USB Flash Drive. You might seek better quality using for computer play back:

Computer

AVCHD with Presets = NTSC DV Standard to get a H.264.mp4 file. And, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset

AVCHD.JPG

And, there is no reason why the Timeline might alternatively be

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Dolby DVD

Focus...Project Preset instructs the program to set up the appropriate space in the Edit Mode monitor for editing purposes. And, your window to export settings flexibilities comes under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the export preset.

Please let me know if I have clarified your questions. If not, please let me know where I have to re-target.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?

Pbeck1 wrote:

Ann, just seen your reply too. A different answer to ATR's.

Yes I like to keep things simple and you have seen the results.

What is your end product going to be?

• 23. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                    Pbeck1 Level 1

ATR, what you are saying all makes sense. I need things to make sense, lol. I will give your settings a try 1st when i get home.

With your project settings, & my 2 sets of clips, do i need to interprete any of them to square pixels (1.0) in the Pixel Aspect Ratio section, like anne was suggesting for her project with its settings?

• 24. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

No.

I am basing all on those two clips that you offered as download samples and am calling them both progressive video.

Check out Edit Menu/Preferences/General to assure that you have a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

Do not apply any Interpret Footage to anything in what I have described. I have road tested all described, as files played back on the computer and as DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc. Looked good.

After we get this workflow acceptable as doable and good, then we might consider factors involved in incorporating those two 720p (1280 x 720) clips that you mentioned earlier.

Thanks for giving the suggestions a try.

ATR

• 25. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?

The first clip Emily in Jersey does need interpreting; its a 3;2 with square pixel image and not a 4;3.

If you drop it in a 4;3 frame it gets squised somewhat.

Default to frameseize should be off.

• 26. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann Bens

Sorry, but for what I have described and which works well, all of your suggestions in post 25 are not applicable and/or necessary under the circumstances.

All has been road tested to the extent of the finished products.

After weighing all factors and under the circumstances, I believe my suggested workflow should be viable and appropriate.

ATR.

• 27. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?

What I have described works well.

But have it your way I am out.

• 28. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?

Pbeck1 if you ever need my help you can PM me.

• 29. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann Bens

Thanks for the reply.

I am not dictating "my way". I have made a suggestion that I believe is sound, and it works for me with the goal that it will work for Pbeck1 as well.  Apparently you have done the same.

If there are two ways to this "works well", then he can decide.

ATR

• 30. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                  Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi Ann

I'm somewhat confused as you and ATR give conflicting advice. Maybe there is more than 1 way to skin a cat in this instance (a saying from England at least (where i live)).

I'm more of a Lightroom person and photographer than a videographer (is that such a word?). I have no idea who is right or wrong or if both are right. All i can go on is that i've had advice from ATR quite a few times beforehand and things have always worked out well. So purely going with just that, i'm going to try his suggestions 1st. I hope that logic sounds ok.

Thank you very much though for your time trying to help me, it's valued from my end.

• 31. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                    Pbeck1 Level 1

ATR

Interestingly the project preset you supplied (Project Preset = NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino and Ultra 30p) is the same as PreE 12 automatically advises for the clips in set 1 too.

• 32. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbecki

Do the mini test runs before any grand projects. It does not matter which approach you try first. The important matter is that you move forward in your project to achieve your goals successfully.

Discussion in the threads is important since we all share and learn from it, hopefully to agree, if not agreeing to disagree.

ATR

• 33. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                        Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi ATR

Progress update:

All clips in set 1 are successfully in my movie . I've now come to the point where i need to insert those 2 HD clips i took with a different camera (if it's possible). Media info says:

Format                       : AVI
                                                                        Format/Info                  : Audio Video Interleave
                                                                        File size                    : 241 MiB
                                                                        Duration                     : 1mn 54s
                                                                        Overall bit rate             : 17.8 Mbps

Video

ID                           : 0
                                                                        Format                       : JPEG
                                                                        Codec ID                     : MJPG
                                                                        Duration                     : 1mn 54s
                                                                        Bit rate                     : 16.4 Mbps
                                                                        Width                        : 1 280 pixels
                                                                        Height                       : 720 pixels
                                                                        Display aspect ratio         : 16:9
                                                                        Frame rate                   : 24.000 fps
                                                                        Color space                  : YUV
                                                                        Chroma subsampling           : 4:2:0
                                                                        Bit depth                    : 8 bits
                                                                        Scan type                    : Progressive
                                                                        Compression mode             : Lossy
                                                                        Bits/(Pixel*Frame)           : 0.739
                                                                        Stream size                  : 222 MiB (92%)
                                                                        Title                        : FUJIFILM AVI STREAM 0100

Is it just a case of inserting them into the timeline and scaling if required and letting PreE 12 sort it out automatically?

After that, i will be at the point where i will insert the clips from set 2.

Again, many thanks.

• 34. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

Thanks for the good news of progress.

Here is what I would try in order to incorporate the 1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second into your project.

1. Import this file (MotionJPEG.avi) into Premiere Elements with Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets. If any problems importing this file into Premiere Elements, please stop and let me know. If not....And, then hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag the file into place in the existing Timeline content. With the use of Alt (often called a keyboard modifier), you should be able to avoid disturbances to the existing Timeline, including splitting audio there.

2. Once this clip is on the Timeline, then scale it to fit the space in the Edit Mode monitor. Do not do any Interpret Footage for either Frame Rate or Pixel Aspect Ratio.

3. Render the Timeline if indicated by the color of the line over the Timeline content and gauge the quality of the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit Mode monitor.

There are other variations on how to approach this mixed Timeline situation, but let us see if the above is acceptable for you from the point of view of, especially, resolution and video/audio quality.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 35. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                            Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi ATR, all is going well with the project (ignoring the program crashes that is, lol). All the clips are now in the project. This brings me to my question: The project is 640x480, and the clips are 640x480 in set 1 and 720x480 in set 2. Premiere Elements is scaling the clips in set 2 so they have black padding at the top and bottom. Is there an automatic way to get it to scale the opposite so the clips in set 2 fill the screen from top to bottom with no padding but trimmed at the sides. It makes sense that way as both sets of clips are 480 in height. I know I can manually scale but is there an automatic way?

• 36. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

There should be minor black edges on any "Set 2 720 x 480" brought into the project as described. They are easily gotten rid of with a manual scale adjust. If only one "Set 2 720 x 480" is involved, that should be quick.

However, if you more that one of these "Set 2 720 x 480" and you want to make that adjust at more than one at a time, you could try one of the following:

1. Copy/Paste Attributes

a. Make the scale adjust on one.

b. Select the scaled clip, Edit Menu/Copy

c. Select all the others of its kind altogether, Edit Menu/Paste Attributes

or

2. Disable Scale to Frame Size in Timeline Pop Up

a. Select all the "Set 2 720 x 480" clips altogether

b. Right click anywhere in the selection

c. Remove the check mark next to Scale to Frame Size

Notes:

To select more than one clip at a time, either

a. Hold down the Shift key and click on the clips that you want

or

b. With your mouse cursor draw a rectangle around the clips to select them

If you use Copy/Paste Attributes, if the clip has certain other attributes, those attributes along with the scale will be included in the Paste Attributes.

Please review and then us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 37. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                                Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi ATR

Almost finished my movie now

One last question please:

I'm using Premiere Elements 12 instead of 10.

I'm trying to apply 'Auto Levels' effects to one of my clips. Were is the 'temporal smoothing' slider gone? Am i missing something?

• 38. Re: Confused about my project settings - Can someone advise?
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

This was a sneaky one to find.

If you look under Adjust Tab/Adjustment Palette/Lighting Panel expanded, you cannot find Temporal Smoothing for Auto Levels under the options there, even with the "more" options selected.

But, if you go to the Expert workspace Timeline and look to the far right of the clip title, you will see a tiny triangle. If you click on that and follow the path indicated in the screenshot, you find Auto Levels and Temporal Smoothing

TemporalSmoothing.jpg

Click on Temporal Smoothing to place it in the clip title.

temp.JPG

Then moving the clip "rubberband" up or down, you adjust the Auto Levels: Temporal Smoothing in seconds depending on how much up and how much down for the rubberband. Keyframing of the property is possible.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next