20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 12:14 PM by Todd_Kopriva

System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight

f_johanzzon

Hi.

I am in the process of buying a laptop so i will be able to do some work from home. I work with commercials and I´m using mostly AE for my work. I have read a couple of threads here but everyone seems to dissagree with each other some please.... can anyone give it to me straight.

Like i said, i work with commericals so think 30 sec projects. I want to able to use E3D and the trapcode suit (particular and form) without puling my hair out. I understand that a workstation is better but i want to able to do some work at home and just take that with me to work. This is the comp i am thinking about buying (by recomendation) and i woundering if you guys think it will do the job.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03984079&lc=en&jumpid=re g_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Some people say that you have to have two psysical drives at 7200 rpm and some people say that bs so again please.... give it to me straight.

/ Fredrik

• 1. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
            f_johanzzon Level 1

Just read a long thread where Harm Millaard

said "You have to be from another world to believe these requirements."

...and from what i understand he post quite a bit here on this forum. On the other hand he said that you should have two psycal 7200 drives and some other people that that was bs.

Thats why i posted here hoping to get some clarification once and for all.

• 3. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you are questioning something that Harm said, perhaps you should direct your question to him.

Yes, having multiple drives is beneficial. The resources that I linked you to explain why.

There is a vast difference between minimum system that meets the minimum requirements and the optimum system that gives the optimum performance. Again, the resources that I linked you to explain the various factors.

• 4. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                cc_merchant Level 4

Harm rewrote several of his earlier articles to reflect newer technologies and new insights into what makes a good editing machine. See Tweakers Page and the articles linked to on this page, especially Tweakers Page - What about Laptops

• 5. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                  f_johanzzon Level 1

First of all, thanks for those links..

After reading up on what they say about min req i guess i have to come to the conclusion that i am not getting a laptop

• CPU: at least a quad core i7 processor, preferably with hyper-threading. The faster the better.
                  • GPU: at least a nVidia GTX 660M or better with 1+ GB DDR5 memory.
                  • Disks: at least 2 internal 7200 RPM disks or a SSD plus a 7200 RPM disk.
                  • Connections: minimum is eSATA plus USB3 ports and Thunderbolt 2.0 is desirable.
                  • Monitor: at least 1920 x 1080 resolution and 15.4" screen size or bigger.
                  • Memory: bare minimum is 8 GB but workable is only 16 or 32 GB

I thought i would be able to run AE at home on a laptop for around 1200 usd but with these req. it seems imopssible.

So thanks again for all the help but it seems i am not getting a new laptop that i would be albe to do some lighter work on at home

/ Fredrik

• 6. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Fredrik,

You sound frustrated, but I would contend you are giving up with the laptop possibility too soon if you give it up now.

Let me first try to explain why smart, helpful people posting on this forum can appear to be in complete disagreement at times:

- Premiere Pro, the main focus of this forum section, has the capability of maxing out all areas of PC performance (RAM, drive speed, cpu power, gpu power) when you consider ALL aspects of a typical video editor's overall workflow (timeline playback w/o rendering with grading, layers, effects, etc. + rendering.

- Additionally, the media type (compression level and resolution particularly) can have a HUGE impact on how much computing resources the same workflow demands. Harm and Bill's www.ppbm7.com site has some really good information that speaks to this. In summary, DV editing is a walk in the park, mainstream AVCHD (highly compressed HD resolution) prefers a decent hyperthreaded quad-core + a lower end nVidia GTX GPU, and multi-layer RED 4k and higher starts moving into dual-Xeon and/or RED Rocket hardware assistance. If you think about it, one can understand why large uncompressed media will require a powerful RAID array to sustain massive drive throughputs while a highly compressed media will not need anywhere near the same drive speed, but will require more cpu and gpu resources to allow for smooth timeline work without having to render first.

After Effects of the other hand generally begs for CPU speed and lots of RAM. For your 30 second commercial work, a single large SSD would likely serve your needs just fine, however you may need to put your available budget towards the cpu and RAM area. In the challenging world of laptop compromises, most laptops only have 2 RAM slots, but you may want one of the models that has four slots. Your particular needs may require a powerful GPU, or then again it may not - read on...

Now, let's get to YOU and YOUR workflow. I'm not an After Effects guru by any stretch and I've never used the Element 3D plug-in. I will however try to give you some steps to determine exactly which components your particular workflow, media, and Adobe version of software are important for your personal situation. Repeating, one size does not fit all!

Step 1: analyze how your current workflow and system are using your resources:

- how much of your RAM is being utilized; you could play too with limiting the RAM available for After Effects and see how much that degrades the performance for your workflow using your current work system

- how much of your cpu is being utilized; many 3rd party add-ins for Premiere Pro are only single-threaded which means that if you have 4 cores and hyperthreading (8 cores show up on Windows task manager performance tab) it would appear that your total CPU engine is hardly being tapped at all. And, if that is the case for you, you may care primarily about cpu speed + turbo boost speed

- how much space would you need for your entire "data" space (media + projects + outputs, etc.). Possibly you could get by with a single, but very fast SSD (i.e. Samsung 840 Pro 512GB single drive)

Step 2:You didn't mention anything about your current "work" hardware, OS, and Adode setup. Please provide back to the forum:

- motherboard (i.e. Dell T5400, Apple vintage 2011 Mac Pro dual Xeon, Asus xyz, etc.)

- RAM (size and speed)

- cpu

- gpu

- Adobe version

- drives (internal and external), and how do you use them for your current workflow

I honestly feel that if you are patient to access what aspects of PC performance you need, you would be able to purchase something very capable for what your are doing. At the sub $1200 US price point, it will most likely be a large, heavy Asus gamer's laptop.

Cheers,

Jim

• 7. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                      RjL190365 Level 5

Fredrik,

The sad reality is that memory prices have nearly doubled within this past year. As a result of those price increases, PC manufacturers (both laptop and desktop) have been skimping on the amount of RAM in some of their PCs at almost every price point. And I discovered that at the $1,200 USD price point you will rarely find a laptop with a full HD display; almost all displays on laptops at that price point are only 1600 x 900 in resolution (and some are even worse: 1366 x 768). Couple those with the inclusion of weakling discrete GPUs at this price point, and I came up with a hunch that you can get a laptop with such editor-recommended specs only if you increase your laptop budget closer to $2,000 USD.

As for the laptop that's linked to in your original post, there are three major problems:

1) Too little included RAM. 8GB is the absolute minimum recommendation to run Premiere Pro CS6 or Premiere CC at all, according to Adobe's minimum system requirements list. That amount of RAM is too little to allow you to work with more than just a single HDV video track or two SD DV video tracks without bogging down the entire PC.

2) Weakling GPU. The GT 740M is no faster than a desktop GT 640 DDR3 overall; both have only 384 CUDA cores and a roughly equal memory bandwidth (based on their GK107-derived versions) of between 25.6 and 28.8 GB/s.

3) That laptop cannot accommodate two internal drives of any type. There is no optical drive or optical drive bay in the specs of that laptop. As a result, the only way that you can install a second hard drive would be externally via USB 3.0.

In addition to the above, the 750GB 5400 RPM hard drive that's included in that laptop might require major or complete disassembly of the entire laptop just to get at the drive or might not even be user replaceable at all.

• 8. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                        f_johanzzon Level 1

I´ll take a look at what i have on the imac that i am using at work and post those specs here.

• 9. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Here is what I am thinking about for an editing (Premiere) laptop, my guess it would more than be satisfactory for AE.  It is a factory re-certified ASUS G750JW-BBI7N05 for $938 which currently retails at BestBuy for $1250.  It is going to need a couple of upgrades to make it Premiere usable.

1. It comes with one lousy 5400 rpm disk drive which is useless except for off-line archiving.  I will install an $120, 128 GB SSD for the OS and applications and a second SSD, a 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro drive ($215) for my project disk.  Then I will get a SATA HDD Hard Drive Caddy tray ($12) that can replace the Optical (DVD) drive and install the 1 TB 5400 rpm drive in it for arfchiving.
                          2. It only has 8 GB of RAM and my understanding is that it has one free memory slot and install another 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM module (~$80) to bring it to 16 GB.

• Full 1920 x 1080 17.3" LED-backlit TFT-LCD screen
                          • nVidia GTX 765m 2GB GDDR5 Graphics card
                          • CPU Type: Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz
                          • Up to three hard drive/SSD's
                          • Simple to upgrade
                          • All for $1364!
                          • 10. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                            Alex - DV411 Level 2

RjL, are you in the US?

And I discovered that at the $1,200 USD price point you will rarely find a laptop with a full HD display; almost all displays on laptops at that price point are only 1600 x 900 in resolution (and some are even worse: 1366 x 768).

Check out Lenovo Y510p, HP Envy 15 and 17 series. Some models come with i7-4700, 8GB RAM, 1080p display, GT-740m or 750m graphics - for around $1K. Swap the 5400rpm drive for a 7200rpm one, upgrade memory to 16GB - and you're right around $1.2K. Personally, I'd leave the 5400rpm hybrid drive alone (or get a 240GB SSD), and use a decent external USB 3.0 drive for sources and scratch.

Not sure what the prices are outside of the US, but here, getting a decent, lightweight, well designed laptop for CS and CC for around $1.2K, isn't all that difficult, and it doesn't have to be large or heavy.

• 11. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Step 1: analyze how your current workflow and system are using your resources

Amen to that Jim, and to everything you said. This should be required reading before any "your i5 won't cut it" or similarly styled generic advice.

• 12. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                f_johanzzon Level 1

Hey Alex.

I remeber you from the other thread were you and Harm  had ery different opinios.

I am thinking about buying a

HP ENVY 15-j035eo

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03984079&lc=en&jumpid=re g_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001#N46

it sounded good to me but it is FAR from those specs that i posted here and i found on a site as a recomandation.

I should also add that this is NOT going to be my main workstation. For that i will use the imac i have a work but i want to able to sit and work in AE here at home aswell. Doing tutorials and learning new things mainly.

I think i can upgrade it to 16 ram and will prob do so. If you could take a look at those specs and say if you think it will work for what i want it to do that would be much apriciated.

• 13. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

it sounded good to me but it is FAR from those specs that i posted here and i found on a site as a recomandation.

The 5400rpm drive and 8GB memory are the only things that may be questionable, and like I said above, those are the 1st things to upgrade if they are the bottlenecks in performance. The rest: 1080p display, i7-4700MQ CPU, GT-740m 2GB graphics - fit the bill perfectly.

I think i can upgrade it to 16 ram and will prob do so. If you could take a look at those specs and say if you think it will work for what i want it to do that would be much apriciated.

Perfect. That - and possibly the HDD upgrade (to an SSD, a 7200rpm, or a good hybrid drive). There is a possibility the laptop already has a 24GB SSD cache (the US model 15-j059nr has one). In that case, an upgrade may not be necessary.

• 14. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

One other thing to look at: if you don't plan to use Premiere Pro or AE ray tracing a lot, the discrete graphics (GT-740m) is not necessary as AE does everything but ray tracing in CPU. So if you can find a model with Intel onboard graphics, that should also work, and save you another $50-100.

• 15. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                      f_johanzzon Level 1

Ok so I´ve manages to do a little deal with my boss and have found two deacent laptops and just need help with one tiny thing more  (and this is actually a direct question)

I´m deciding between tow diffrent ASUS, the N550JV and the N56JR. The difference in price is just 50 bucks but they do differ on one point. They are both i7 4700HQ

2.4GHz (3.4 GHz) quad core

One has

8 GB SO-DIMM DDR3 , 1600Mhz

5400 rpm750GB + 16GB SSD Cache

GeForce GT7 750M (2BG DDR3)

The other one has

12 GB DDR3 1600Mhz

5400 rpm  + 8 GB SSD Cache

GeForce GT7 750M (2 GB GDDR5)

So... 16GB vs 8GB SSD cache .....OR.....12GB DD3 vs 8 GBG SO-DIMM DDR3 . More SSD cache or more RAM memory ?

I asume that there is no huge difference between the graphic cards. But then again i can be wrong

• 16. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                        cc_merchant Level 4

DDR5 is much faster than DDR3, so there is a huge difference in video cards.

16 or 8 GB SSD is too small for OS & programs & page-file. The 5400 RPM hard disks are too slow.

You need a 128+ GB SSD plus a 7200 RPM disk, and eSATA or USB3 ports for extra storage.

• 17. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                          JEShort01 Level 4

As AE loves RAM, definitely go for the model with more RAM.

Jim

• 18. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

16GB of ram. That is what you need first for AE. If you dont meet that then the other specs mean far less. I suggest you start there.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                              f_johanzzon Level 1

I am mainly using this laptop to do some lighter work/tutorials/learn new things at home so dont need a monster and probably not gonna be doing any rendering. All that i do at work on my workstation. I understood that a 5400 rpm disk could work IF you had at least 16GB SSD cash, not true ?

Well i am getting one of the two so the question is is 16 GB SSD cash instead of 8 GB worth more than the difference in RAM ?

From what i understand so does AE  everything but ray tracing in CPU. Does that mean (if i am not doing alot of raytracing) that the graphics card is not as important ?

two quesions in one post

• 20. Re: System requirements "laptop-AE"   give it to me straight
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Does that mean (if i am not doing alot of raytracing) that the graphics card is not as important ?

Yes, that is correct.