36 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2014 12:39 PM by Stan Jones RSS

Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

DaveSedona

I use Encore occasionally and usually just to produce DVD's straight form Premiere Pro.  But now . .  I have one with 3 chapter markers on the same timeline and Encore keeps giving me "orphan timeline" as errors in the Check Project.  I only have a single timeline and can't seem to get beyond this error to burn - and there is nothing in the Help or Forums on exactly what to do.  I've spent over 2 hours reading and searching!!!!  Somebody please provide step by step directions to resolve this.  THANKS!!

• 1. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Please post a screenshot of your flowchart.

The usual problem is (phantom) orphan menus, and sometimes they cannot be truly deleted. The only fix is a do over.

• 2. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
            DaveSedona Community Member

Thanks Stan - here is the flowchart.Flowchart.jpg

One simple menu that I'm not good at editing and 3 simple chapters.  Should be a snap, but Encore is not intuitive and the Help - isn't.  You would think they would have a holiday menu template in the darn program, but . . . there isn't.

• 3. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Just posted it but here it is separately.  There are just a lot of little skills with Encore, like most other Adobe products, that the average user just cannot find or figure out.  Their Help files are almost worthless on simple stuff like this.  As I said, I don’t use it that often except to just burn DVD’s straight from Premiere and they don’t have any chapters in them.  I volunteer with the Veterans History Project here in Sedona and I do all of the DVD’s of the interviews so it is a simple matter of pulling the video files from the camera SD card, dropping them on the timeline in Premiere, editing the name on the Title scree and then using Dynamic Link to Encore, filling in all other little attributes and burning 4 copies and I’m done.

By the way, the screen that contains all of the content information, etc., at the upper right has disappeared and I can’t for the life of me figure out which thing to click to bring it back.  Can you assist?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Norton

• 4. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                Stan Jones CommunityMVP

The buttons from the main menu are linked to the menu, not to your timeline. Your timeline IS an orphan, because it is not linked to a menu.

EN CS6 Button Link.PNG

1 Select a button.

2 In the properties, find the "pick whip" icon.

3 Drag it to the TIMELINE in the project panel (not the "asset" or PR sequence). You should see a link (where mine says "Not Set") to the TIMELINE. Right now, your link will show the menu.

• 5. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

I have NO idea what you are talking about . . .  I used the whip and connected to the timeline under the Project tab.  Still shows as an orphan.  I also used the whip to connect to the specific chapter markers on the timeline itself – still shows an orphan.  WHAT should I be doing????

Dave Norton

• 6. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

I also created a Chapter List but how does that fit into the grand scheme??  Shouldn’t those be linked to something?

Dave Norton

• 7. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Post a screenshot of what you have.

• 8. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

Sorry, I don’t understand what you want.  Screenshot of ????  Do you want the flowchart again or something else?

Dave Norton

• 9. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Anything that illustrates what you describe you are doing. Yes, let's see the current flowchart. Also, select a button in the menu, and show the menu viewer (with the button selected) and the button properties on the right.

• 10. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Will do, but tomorrow . . .  too late tonite.

Dave Norton

• 11. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

Here is another view of the updated flowchart and the button Properties.  Still not there so more assistance is needed.

Flowchart 2.jpg

Button Properties.jpg

I hope this is of assistance in getting me out of the stuck spot I'm in.

Thanks!!

• 12. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                Stan Jones CommunityMVP

If you Preview in Encore, does the menu appear? If you click on one of the links, does any part of the movie play?

Below the flowchart is the orphanage; is there anything in there?

Also, a screenshot of the project panel would be helpful.

• 13. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

The Menu appears in Preview but everthing just starts at the beginning of the Timeline.  Here is a screenshot of the Project Panel.  The Timeline is still shown as an orphan in Check Project.

Project Panel.jpg

Needless to say, I'm still frustrated . . .

• 14. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                    Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Okay, a few changes.

You have set an end action on the menu. That can cause odd results. Set the end action of the menu to "stop." In the "Motion" tab for the menu, it should be set to the default of "Hold Forever," so you won't ever get to "stop."

I assume that you want each chapter to return to the menu when the chapter is over rather than continuing with the other chapters. If that is not the case, the following would change.

Add a "play all" button to the menu. It will link to the timeline itself. (This removes the timeline from the orphanage.) The timeline will have an end action of "return to last menu." You can specify a specific menu and which button will have the focus, but let's keep it simple for now.

Modify your chapter playlist so it has only Chapter one in it. If it does already, you are good to go. But change its name to "Chapter 1 Playlist." It is hard to see the names, and these long names that come from the dynamic link will confuse you.

Create two more chapter playlists,one with chapter 2 and the other with chapter 3. The end action for all the chapter playlists is "return to last menu."

Link the chapter buttons to their respective chapter playlists.

Now preview.

• 15. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

Your suggested changes have all been made and the Monitor only plays the first part of the timeline, gets to the first Chapter marker and quits.  That happens with all buttons.  I've attached a screenshot of the Chapter Playlists and the updated Project window.  No matter what I do with the Chapter playlists . . . they all keep pointing to the same place and whatever I change it to, they all change at once.  Next idea??

Project Window #2.jpg

Chapter Playlist.jpg

No matter what Playlist is selected in the Project window, the same 4 chapters appear in the Chapter Playlist and any change affects all of them.  What have I got crosswired???

• 16. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                        Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I assumed you had only the 4 chapter markers. I now suspect you have more.

Chapter playlist 1 (with chapter 4 in it), starts at 32:31...., but is only 5 seconds 19 frames long!

If that makes no sense, add a screenshot of the timeline viewer (the timeline display a the bottom).

• 17. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

That makes no sense at all.  As you can see in the view below, there are only 4 chapter marks.

Timeline.jpg

I'm really STUCK on this simple little project . . . I think we're getting somewhere, but it sure isn't intuitive!!

Dave

• 18. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

If it helps any, here are the Build Check Project errors - the list is growing instead of shrinking!!

Build Errors.jpg

• 19. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Are there end actions on any chapter markers?

As a test, create a new project, add the timeline (you do not need to transcode), make it first play. Preview. Does it play beyond the point it is stopping?

Add a menu. Make the menu first play. Link any button to the timeline. Preview and select the button you linked to. Does it play?

• 20. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Did you remove the link to the timeline I suggested you add from a play all button?

The last warning suggests that you have added end actions to chapter markers. Remove those.

• 21. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

I don't know, I don't know, I just don't KNOW!  The Chapter markers have an end action of Return to Last Menu.  I don't see any choice of removing the End Action????  I looked at the Play All button and just manually linked it to the timeline.  When I run a Build Check, I get:

Chapter 1 Playist is an Orphan Timeline

Ch DVD icon for Christmas 2013 is Title Remote Not Set - I have NO idea what that means!

Sequence 01 - End acton can't execute because of end action on the final Chapter point.  What??

I'm about to just scrap the entire thing and start over on another day!  Is this fixable or should I just start over?  Of course, I'm trying to get these DVD's burned and delivered - yesterday so it is quite frustrating!  Such a simple project but a very difficult piece of software that is not user friendly or intuitive . . .

• 22. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

I'm also confused as to why I created separate playlists for each of the 3 chapters and have a 4th for Play All.  WHY are these necessary????

Dave

• 23. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

It may be fixable, but I'm missing too many things.

Do a version of the test I suggested, but change as follows. If it turns out to be easier, so be it.

You can "import as menu" your current menu. Select it in the current project, then Menu -> Save Menu as File and pay attention to where you save it.

Create the new project with a new name. Import as menu the menu you saved above. (It will be first play and the title remote will be set by default.)

Then add your timeline: File -> Adobe Dynamic Link -> Premiere Pro Sequence, find your project and select the sequence.

Do not add chapters, etc. Just add a link from the play all button to the timeline. Select the timeline and se the end action as "Return to last menu." Do not transcode.

See if it previews.

• 24. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                        Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I'm also confused as to why I created separate playlists for each of the 3 chapters and have a 4th for Play All.  WHY are these necessary????

I have assumed that you want the usual layout: a button that will play the whole timeline, and then buttons that will play each "chapter."

Is that true?

You only need the chapter playlists if you want to return to the menu after each chapter. And to do that, each chapter playlist can only be one chapter.

There are alternatives, but you are not that far off.

• 25. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

Yes, that is what I am after - just a usual, simple DVD menu.  I will work on the sample file later today after my business appointments are done.

Dave

• 26. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

Finally had a few minutes to get back into this.  I created a new project and saved the Menu from the previous project.  The new project has the menu and the Premiere sequence in it, but no timeline and no matter what I do, I can't get the sequence to go onto a Timeline so I can't link the menu button to the Timeline as you recommended.  HOW do I get the sequence to populate a Timeline??

Dave

• 27. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Select the sequence in the project panel. Then Timeline -> New Timeline.

• 28. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Been doing that but nothing happens - no timeline is created, etc.  What's going on??  My other option is to just scrap the "new" project and go back to Premiere and let Adobe Dynamic Link just create a new Encore project with the timeline, etc.  Is that the best route or can I get the "new" project to actually create a Timeline??

Dave

• 29. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

What version of Encore and of Premiere Pro?

Please provide a screenshot of the selected sequence in the project panel.

• 30. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Premiere is CS5.5 and Encore is CS5.

Dave Norton

• 31. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Encore 5.0 or 5.1 (Encore 5.1 is the version with CS5.5)

• 32. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

Not clear – so is there a reason that the new Timeline is not appearing or that I can’t have the Sequence go onto it?  If there is an issue, I’ll just have Premiere do the Adobe Link and create everything fresh as I know how to do that and the Menu has been saved.

Dave Norton

• 33. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                                          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I do not know.

You can certainly try it that way also.

• 34. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Stan,

I started over back in Premiere and put it into Encore through Dynamic Link.

I created a new menu and used the pickwhip to link buttons to the timeline, but . . .

All it does is play from the start, there is no DVD interface and the Flowchart just shows the main menu with no links.

WHERE and HOW do I get the buttons to link to the Chapter marks on the Timeline??

Dave Norton

• 35. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                                              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Make the menu "first play." (Select in project panel, right click, "first play.")

Show me the screenshot. (Edit: of the flowchart.)

I don't know what you did wrong before, so I want to see what we have.

Do you want a play all? (that is the button that links to the timeline)

For the chapters, do you want to return to the menu after a chapter plays, or does it continue on with the next chapter?

• 36. Re: Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX
                                                                                Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I have some time limitations, so did not provide as full an explanation.

When a menu is added to a project first, it is the first play. If not, you have to change what is first play.

If a menu is added to a project first, it is set for the "title remote." If not, you get a "title remote not set" warning.

Just fyi.