9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 5:32 PM by brianmercuri

Runtime Error when opening videos.

brianmercuri

I just got Premiere Elements and have played with a few videos. When I try to open some of my videos I get a runtime error and it shuts down. Can someone help me?

• 1. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

2nd

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-c-runtime-errors-products.html

Also http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1348510 for a link to Microsoft download

Also search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for Microsoft help articles

• 2. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

brianmercuri

Answers will be in the details specific to your situation.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. What are the properties of what you are placing on that Timeline? And, what are you or the project settings as the project preset to match those properties? I am looking for video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. If you are working with DV AVI, then do you have Type 1 or 2?

3. What is the description of your computer environment and its resources?

4. Then the usual drill....

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

b. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

c. Video card driver up to date? If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user with a NVIDIA video card, then you may be part of the crowd with video card drivers issues that need addressing by rolling the driver back rather than assuring that you have the latest video card driver version. But, that is ONLY for Premiere Elements 10 user with NVIDIA.

d. Do you have any other version of Premiere Elements on your computer? If so, is it working without issues?

Let us start here, review the above, and then we will move forward based on you answers to all of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
              brianmercuri Level 1

ATR,

I edited one small group of videos and they are mvi.  a few days later I

tried to open a few more that were on my portable hard drive, and they are

MOV format. When I tried to open I would get the runtime error.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer

operating system is it running?

Premier Elements 12. Dell XPS Vista 64bit

2. What are the properties of what you are placing on that Timeline? And,

what are you or the project settings as the project preset to match those

properties? I am looking for video and audio compression, frame size, frame

rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. If you

are working with DV AVI, then do you have Type 1 or 2?

I am not familiar with all of that, this is my first time using this

software.

3. What is the description of your computer environment and its resources?

I don't know.

4. Then the usual drill....

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer

with Premiere Elements?

I don't know

b. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User

Account with Administrative Privileges?

As administrator as far as I know.

c. Video card driver up to date? If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user

with a NVIDIA video card, then you may be part of the crowd with video card

drivers issues that need addressing by rolling the driver back rather than

assuring that you have the latest video card driver version. But, that is

ONLY for Premiere Elements 10 user with NVIDIA.

d. Do you have any other version of Premiere Elements on your computer? If

so, is it working without issues?

No, I only have the old Photoshop Elements 9. MY photoshop element 12 works

great.

It might be easier to if someone could call me and show me what and how to

check what is wrong.

Thank you so much

Brian Mercuri

• 4. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

brianmercuri

Please remove your contact information from your immediately to avoid nuisances.

This is not Adobe. We are Premiere Elements users trying to help other Premiere Elements users with their Premiere Elements workflow. Communication is via the posted threads in the Premiere Elements Forum.

The good and bad news is that the answers are in the details. We can go through the details one by one, helping you to find the answers. If you want, I am willing to post simple direct questions for which you can find answers for that will help me and others help you.

If that is OK with you, I will start by posting the same questions as before but with specific directions as to where to find the answers.

Right now we know that you are working with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows Vista 64 bit.

This tells use that computer resources can be an issue since version 12 on the operating system cannot take full advantage of the 64 bit resources.

You appear to be working with video files that have .mov file extensions.

The installation of QuickTime latest version is a program requirement for .mov as well as other formats. So, you need to have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 12.

(a) Look in Control Panel installed program to see if QuickTime is installed.

(b) For the download if you do not have the QuickTime

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

One of the program's requirements is that it be run Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

You can go into Control Panel/User Accounts and check the details of the User Account that you are working from. Is it an Administator Account? If necessary, go to the desktop icon for Premiere Elements, select Run As Administrator.

Let us stop here for now so that you can review what is written and then decide how and if you want to move forward with exchange of information in thread in order to troubleshoot your issues.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
                  brianmercuri Level 1

how do I delete post?

• 6. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

brianmercuri

We might have to get a moderator to remove the telephone number. If you cannot by using a visible Cancel or Delete button, I cannot. I do not have those privileges.

What do you want to delete? Please give specific instructions on what you want to delete.

I will point Steve Grisetti (forum moderator) to your thread to comply with what you want.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
                      brianmercuri Level 1

I want to delete the phone number

• 8. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

brianmercuri

I asked Steve Grisetti (forum moderator) has removed the telephone number as requested. Please check out your thread, especially post numbered 3 where I think you posted the telephone number.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Runtime Error when opening videos.
                          brianmercuri Level 1

I am running as an admin and I do have the latest version of Quicktime.  It is now not only shutting down on Premier, it is also closing on Photoshop Elements 12 and even on the old Photoshop Elements 9. At first they were both working fine.