6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 3:48 PM by Kawika808

"Adobe elements has stopped working."

clippster

I've received the error "Adobe elements has stopped working" and then the program closes.  It has happened numerous times and now happens more and more often.  Does anyone have any fixes for this?

• 1. Re: "Adobe elements has stopped working."
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is the Premiere PRO forum... you need http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements?view=discussions

When you go there, add all of this information Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

• 2. Re: "Adobe elements has stopped working."
            Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Moved from Premiere Pro forum to Premiere Elements forum.

• 3. Re: "Adobe elements has stopped working."
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It might help to know a bit more about your computer: Your operating system and if it's fully updated (If Windows, have you ensured that you have all of the Windows and Microsoft Updates, including those that don't install automatically?), if you have the latest drivers for your graphics card from the ATI or nVidia web sites, what processor you have and how much RAM.

Have you tried to launch the program while holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Cmd+Opt+Shift on a Mac) on the left side of your keyboard to clear the preferences?

Does the program only fail while you're working on a project or will it not create a new project?

The more details you can give us, the more likely we'll be able to help.

• 4. Re: "Adobe elements has stopped working."
                Kawika808 Level 1

I've been having the same problem.

Win7 64bit 8GB RAM, 500GB free hard drive space.  All Win updates in place on a regular basis (last time was 2 days ago).

I often get the "stopped working" popup message on my desktop right after I close the program (well, yeah, I would hope it would stop working when I close it) and also increasingly get it on the desktop when I open the program (before the PE12 screen opens).  This latter popup "stopped working" message will persist until I close the popup window, even though the program is working just fine.

The most occurrences of actual crashes seem to be when doing a lot of titles (new or editing existing), when saving, and when exporting.

For awhile it seemed (very subjectively) that rendering the project before saving or exporting possibly helped reduce the number of occurrences, but just now the "stopped working" message popped up and the program quit while I was rendering (got about 80% through).

This time I checked the "check online for a solution" box, but to no avail--there was a brief period while Windows searched online, and then the program shut down anyway.

I've tried rebooting, making sure other programs were closed, etc. but nothing really seems to have much effect.  The same project will save or export just fine on one occasion, then if I so much as change a word in a title it will become unstable.  The entire project is 26 minutes long.  One video track (2) with titles, one main video track (1), one audio track (mostly empty) of ambient sound with the video, one sound track.

I will try Steve's suggestion of Ctrl-Alt-Shift for awhile on opening.  (This helps when PSE tools freeze up.)  Thanks for the tip!

• 5. Re: "Adobe elements has stopped working."
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the first places that I would look, would be Windows' Even Viewer. In Event Viewer, look in both the System and the Applications Tabs, for the approximate time of one of your "crashes." There should be some Warning and possibly Error messages, at that time.

Some will be just blocks of obscure code, but some might have links. For the ones with any link, follow that link, and make note of what is said, on that link. That info could be very useful in tracking down the cause.

Remember, look in both Tabs, and follow all links.

Please let us know what is contained via those links, and good luck.

Hunt

• 6. Re: "Adobe elements has stopped working."
                    Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, Bill,

I have been on the road; sorry for the delayed response.  I will give it a try.