18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2015 11:34 AM by Tal Minks RSS

Deleting unused audio?

TMav Community Member

Seems like a basic feature, but I can't figure out how to delete unused audio from a session?

I'm using CS6.

• 1. Re: Deleting unused audio?
          SuiteSpot Community Member

If you want ALL files referenced in the session to be available (used or not) then you need to set this option

Edit > Preferences > Multitrack

Select the option "Reference all open audio and video files when saving sessions"

If this option is not set then any unused media will not be included in the session next time you open the session.

If by deleting unused audio from your session you mean deleting it from your hard drive then you can try one of my utilities

http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/

• 2. Re: Deleting unused audio?
            ryclark Community Member

Assuming you mean totally remove from the Audition Session, rather than actually Delete the file from the hard drive, in the Files panel just select it (or multiple files) and click on the Dustbin icon to close the files out of the session.

• 3. Re: Deleting unused audio?
              TMav Community Member

I did come across this utility while researching this issue. However, it doesn't look like the utility runs on a Mac. Does it?

• 4. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                TMav Community Member

I wan't to delete the unused files from the hard drive.

I'm using Audition to track studio musicians. Seems to work good as I don't use midi.

But as an example, on drums alone, I can ealisly use 8 or more mics. Often there are many takes that just bad, hit undo and start tracking again. This is quick and easiest, but leaves tons of unused audio in the project folder.

So far the only way I can see to delete all this unused audio is to use finder and compare it to the files used in the project and delete the rest. But this will be very tedious and time consuming.

• 5. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                  ryclark Community Member

No unfortunately it only runs on PCs as SuiteSpot wrote it before Audition was Mac compatible and he, like a lot of us veterans here, only use PCs

One work around is to Export the session to a new folder with the Save Copies of Associated Files box ticked. This will just save the .sesx file and copies of used files (or even edited down clips) into the new folder. Then (after checking that all the files are present there) you can safely delete anything or everything from your original folder.

• 6. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                    TMav Community Member

OK, looks like that's the method I'll have to use.

It would be easier if Audition just included a command to delete unused audio in project folder.

Appreciate the help.

• 7. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                      SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

IDWDI wrote:

It would be easier if Audition just included a command to delete unused audio in project folder.

That couldn't possibly work - simply because it would have to delete everything that wasn't in a session but was in a folder. A lot of people use more than one session with a given set of files, sometimes (but not always) incorporating other ones as well. And on top of that, audio files have no idea whether they've been used or not, so it's no good asking them...

If there was an easy, foolproof way of doing this, Adobe would have done it. There just isn't, though.

• 8. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                        TMav Community Member

You wouldn't have to use it! And there is always going to be some responsibility placed on the user not to delete files they neeed.

Right now it looks like there really isn't a good way to clean up unused audio inside a project of Audition besides the 3rd party utility, which doesn't run on OSX, or resaving your project in a new location which isn't really optimal.

There's always room for improvement. Even the fact that there is a 3rd party utility suggests that this is something useful for many people and missing from Audition.

Even a column in the project audio browser indicating whether a file is used or not would work. Sort by the column, select the files not used, delete with and option to also delete from hard drive. Problem solved.

• 9. Re: Deleting unused audio?

IDWDI wrote:

Even a column in the project audio browser indicating whether a file is used or not would work. Sort by the column, select the files not used, delete with and option to also delete from hard drive. Problem solved.

That's the whole point - it isn't solved at all, except for that single session. If you have a situation where you need, or are using that file in another session, you're stuffed completely with that approach. You can't just look at this from your own point of view; if, as a manufacturer, other users tell you that this would be a disaster (which it could easily turn into), then you simply couldn't implement it.

On top of that, Adobe has demonstrated that they're absolutely paranoid about not deleting files; I don't think that they want to contemplate a consequential loss claim, even though I think it would be very unlikely to happen. But, this is why doing drop-ins is such a pain - you simply can't do what a 'real' multitrack recorder would do at all. You end up keeping every take, whether you want it or not.

• 10. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                            TMav Community Member

I believe the file location is already displayed in the project audio files. And I believe Audition creates a folder for a session with the session name_recorded. Anything you record in that session goes there. Really, it should not be difficult for someone to know what file is specific to the session or not. If you add a file from a different location it should be obvious to you. No?

It really should be the person using Audition responsibility to understand his file locations and what's being used where. As it is now, it really seems like file management is a pain.

But that's fine. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure I can deal with saving a session to a different location and checking the copy audio or whatever. It just seems like a pain.

I'm comming from Sonar and never had to worry about deleted takes during a session being saved infinately. I believe what they do is if a take durring the session was deleted, it is automatically deleted from the hard drive once the session is closed.

Anyways, it's all good. It will either work out for me or I'll just have to try something else.

• 11. Re: Deleting unused audio?

IDWDI wrote:

I believe the file location is already displayed in the project audio files. And I believe Audition creates a folder for a session with the session name_recorded. Anything you record in that session goes there. Really, it should not be difficult for someone to know what file is specific to the session or not. If you add a file from a different location it should be obvious to you. No?

No. You really haven't got this! We are not talking about a single session, we are talking about multiple ones, all in the same folder. And there's absolutely no law that says sessions have to be organised the way you say anyway. You can do exactly what you like with files and folders.

I agree that Audition really ought to delete tracks properly whilst doing inserts - and that's really the root of most peoples' problems with this. But once you've decided to save a file, there's absolutely no way you can automate the removal process and satisfy the requirements of anybody doing versioning.

• 12. Re: Deleting unused audio?

SteveG is correct - there are so many Audition users all using Audition in different ways that there is no one way that suits all.

There are heaps of radio guys who have different variations of the same session all in the same folder sharing many of the same files and deleting a file that is not used in one session but is used in several others would be a disaster and while MediaSweeper handles that situation it obviously doesn't work for you being on a Mac.

• 13. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                                  TMav Community Member

In my case of using Audition as a multi-track recorder to track musicians in a studio, it sounds like what is causing me problems is Audition doesn't delete tracks properly while doing inserts, or what I'm calling takes. Or have I got this completely backwards also?

Using Audition as a multi-track recorder to track musicians, what is the easiest way to keep only files on the multi-track timeline recorded during the session at the end of a session? Because right now it's a mess for me. I don't need every bad take sitting on the hard drive.

• 14. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                                    ryclark Community Member

WARNING! Make sure that you have saved the session and copies of the used files somewhere else safely before you try this experiment.

If you close out the take files that you don't want to keep in the Audition Files tab and leave Audition open. Perhaps you can then open the OS file explorer and try and delete your files from there. Any that are open in Audition should be locked and only unused ones should be able to be deleted.

• 15. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                                      TMav Community Member

Thanks ryclark! You have presented two methods methods that seem reasonable. Soon as I get a chance I'll see how well they work out for me. I will definetely get back and let you know.

Thanks SuiteSpot for pointing me to the utility. Looks like that would have worked also if it ran on OSX.

My guess is Audition isn't really geared for multi-track studio recording or this wouldn't be an issue.

• 16. Re: Deleting unused audio?

You are welcome IDWDI but don't sell Audition short when it comes to multi-track studio recording.  I have been running a professional recording studio running Audition since the days of Cool Edit and Audition 2.  I have (paid) versions of almost every DAW and for me Audition is the only one to use.

Yep I too was concerned about those 'unused' takes and that's why I wrote MediaSweeper but I rarely use it except to every now and then clean up one of my back up drives.

And mind you MediaSweeper doesn't delete a single file - it just moves them to a location of your choosing (in an ordered fashion) for YOU to delete at some point.

I don't know how many times I have had to rummage though the virtual cutting floor looking for an out take to save a session.

And these days with hard drives measured in terrabytes 'unused' takes becomes less of an issue IMO

I have a 'in progress' SSD drive and when the final mix has been done and the client has paid I then move everything to a 'completed' drive with both of these drives being continuously backed up and it is this third drive which I will clean up every now and then.

The other thing to remember is that if you drag a file in that is being used/referenced in another session (like a backing track or sound fx) you can easily come unstuck when you clean up that other folder because it is not obvious that the file is used in a session on another hard drive or folder.

Remember - "it is better to be looking at it than looking for it"

• 17. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                                          x_ndu Community Member

My friend, this is how you do it (requires some space):

Open your .SESX file, then go to File>Export>Session, choose a new location and make sure that you've checked "Save copies of associated files", save the session to the new location (only files used in the session will be copied)... then you can go back and delete the entire old folder and have a clean new folder.

Cheers

• 18. Re: Deleting unused audio?
                                            Tal Minks Community Member

Brilliant!!! Thanks so much x_ndu!!!