11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 12:08 PM by John Waller

CS2 question

Dico854

[message edited to remove all personal attacks]

Mylenium, told me that CS2 wasn't free. I was asking what goes in the slot for organization, and said I had the serial(as it is provided on the dload page). He responds saying they were never free, and this would explain why I didn't have a serial.  I said I had the serial...becuase I did. And I didn't say they were always free. I had read that they were shutting the servers down for CS2, and that versions of it became free. I'm such a horrible person for being broke. He said go read up on the website. http://https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?pid=4485850&e=cs2_downloads This is the download page. I fail to see anything other than the product being offered for free. If I'm wrong, please let me know how.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
          Noel Carboni Level 8

If you don't have a legitimate Photoshop CS or CS2 license (i.e., you bought it) you are not legally allowed to run the Photoshop CS2 download.

You cry that you're broke, but if you are trying to run Photoshop without buying a license you're taking bread off the table of Adobe employees.  You think they don't deserve to be paid for their work?  You think they deserve to be broke?

If, in fact, you really ARE here asking for help how to install and run software illegally that's pretty pretentious, don't you think?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
            Dico854 Level 1

No, I'm not asking for anything illegal. You can't steal something that is free. However, I see that the product is being given away, but you must purchase a license to use it? So if I do, I can install and use?

Why is everyone around here so rude though, I'm just asking questions!

It's not like I'm trying to get anything close to the latest edition here. At some point, these software prices are going to have to be brought down though...esp when their outdated. There is too many edducational resources being denied, because people are greedy.                      

It does the world no good when software that could help billions at absolutely no cost, just sits on someone's shelf...greedy.

• 3. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
              Level 7

Unless you already purchased a license to CS or CS2, you should not be using the posted version of Photoshop CS2.  It is not being given away for free, it is posted for people that already own a license to CS or CS2 and can no longer activate due to the retired activation server.

• 4. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Heh heh heh, you haven't seen rude.  I am being very nice.  Understand that, while I'm not with Adobe, I sell software in order to feed my family and I have to deal with folks who feel they're entitled to have software if they can download it.

Your ideas of what's free and what's illegal are, for lack of a better way to put it, twisted.  By your logic, because there are products on a shelf at the store that you could just pick up and walk out with, they're free and it wouldn't be illegal to take them. 

Think about it.

There is a very nice $9.99 a month deal at Adobe that will allow you to use Photoshop CC.  In today's reality, that's really not very much money.

Before you complain that you can't afford a monthly bill, it's clear that you ARE on a working computer and apparently DO have internet access.  Do you have a cell phone?  Most folks today pay by the month for access to technology.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
                  gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I remember when Adobe took the activation route with CS. I always thought when the day came to switch off the servers, a patch or unlock code would be issued to turn off the activation requirement in the software.

That way only those  who had the original software could then use their software.

Placing the software out for download on the honor system seems just odd.

• 6. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
                    John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Placing the software out for download on the honor system seems just odd.

Agreed.

Baffled me on the day it happened. Everyone on the web, even respected tech news sites, thought it was made freely available until Adobe clarified that it's an honour system for existing owners only. As you say, odd. But, at times, Adobe does act oddly.

However, I also see no purpose in accusing unsuspecting (often genuine) newbies of theft when it's freely available. If I was not familiar with Adobe's practices, I'd think it was free too.

• 7. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

This is PURE speculation, but I wonder if a lawsuit could have led them to that.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)

No idea, Noel. You probably know more than me there.

• 9. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
                          Dico854 Level 1

Actually big guy, i haven't had a cell phone for over a year now...besides a very crappy go phone. I was in a severe accident and lost my career and much more. I'm back in school in the meantime. But, I shouldn't need an "excuse to be broke...so many of us are because of this outdated economic system that is perpetuated by greed. You think that just because you have a family, it makes you less greedy? The world and everyone in it could be burning down around you and your precious family(and it is) and you'd still think like that...greedy, irresponsible and imcompassionate. It will seem twisted to those who are unwilling to step outside of the box and think for themselves...and/or to include the concept of "others" into their narrow bubble of existence.

We didn't even need to get into any of that though. I never said I wouldn't get a damn license. I'm thinking about getting one(even though I really can't afford even ten a month extra right now).  BUT I WAS JUST ASKING QUESTIONS!!! Goodness gracious...

But you people are so obsessed with someone stealing what's "yours", that you couldn't see that.

• 10. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)
                            Dico854 Level 1

How bout i just say screw it and do like evryone else and go download the illegal versions like so many others do and get away with. I know people who can get all of them for me. However, I'm not taking that route, I don't play with getting arrested. I'm far too old for that. I actually just wanted to see if their was some sort of cheap/free version of some of these outdated ones. If there weren't...then guess what...I wouldn't be getting them.That would be the end of it.

Get over yourselves.

• 11. Re: Mylenium's a jerk(quick question inside)

Original question answered. Discussion locked.